    my main line as well.
    Can anyone help with a solution.
    Thanks all

    speckled hen, Oct 5, 2006

  2. speckled hen

    Daviey Guest

    On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 05:18 -0700, speckled hen wrote:
    > Hi. Looking to go with the voip solution looking for suggestions
    > This is my home set up: BT Broadband with netgear DG834 router/modem, 3
    > hardwired networked PCs + print server.
    > Originally bought a netgear TA612 612v voice adaptor on sipgate as I
    > thought keeping woth netgear would make it simple (how wrong i was,
    > gonna bin that heep of crap now) also I have an internal phone system
    > that I would like to terminate the VOIP line on it to use in different
    > locations around the house.
    > I never did get the 612 working so I am looking for a voip solution
    > that I can connect into my DG834 that I can terminate onto my phone
    > system, i want this line to ring as an independent line IE not to ring
    > my main line as well.
    > Can anyone help with a solution.
    > Thanks all

    What is your existing telephone network? I feel that it may be worth
    Looking into Asterisk to either replace or integrate with your existing
    telephone setup.

    If Asterisk look a little daunting, i would suggest looking at Trixbox
    (it is Asterisk with lots of other bundles on a bootable installing
    distro CD).

    Daviey, Oct 5, 2006

  3. speckled hen

    speckled hen Guest

    Daviey wrote:
    > On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 05:18 -0700, speckled hen wrote:
    > > Hi. Looking to go with the voip solution looking for suggestions
    > > This is my home set up: BT Broadband with netgear DG834 router/modem, 3
    > > hardwired networked PCs + print server.
    > > Originally bought a netgear TA612 612v voice adaptor on sipgate as I
    > > thought keeping woth netgear would make it simple (how wrong i was,
    > > gonna bin that heep of crap now) also I have an internal phone system
    > > that I would like to terminate the VOIP line on it to use in different
    > > locations around the house.
    > > I never did get the 612 working so I am looking for a voip solution
    > > that I can connect into my DG834 that I can terminate onto my phone
    > > system, i want this line to ring as an independent line IE not to ring
    > > my main line as well.
    > > Can anyone help with a solution.
    > > Thanks all
    > >

    > What is your existing telephone network? I feel that it may be worth
    > Looking into Asterisk to either replace or integrate with your existing
    > telephone setup.
    >
    > If Asterisk look a little daunting, i would suggest looking at Trixbox
    > (it is Asterisk with lots of other bundles on a bootable installing
    > distro CD).

    Thanks for the reply.
    Its the BT inspiration system, just 2 analogue i/c lines with standard
    telephones as extensions, as well as a couple of Nokia premicells
    providing gsm access

    speckled hen, Oct 5, 2006
  4. speckled hen

    Daviey Guest

    On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 06:07 -0700, speckled hen wrote:
    > Daviey wrote:
    > > On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 05:18 -0700, speckled hen wrote:
    > > > Hi. Looking to go with the voip solution looking for suggestions...

    <SNIP>

    > > What is your existing telephone network? I feel that it may be worth
    > > Looking into Asterisk to either replace or integrate with your existing
    > > telephone setup.
    > >
    > > If Asterisk look a little daunting, i would suggest looking at Trixbox
    > > (it is Asterisk with lots of other bundles on a bootable installing
    > > distro CD).

    > Thanks for the reply.
    > Its the BT inspiration system, just 2 analogue i/c lines with standard
    > telephones as extensions, as well as a couple of Nokia premicells
    > providing gsm acc

    I don't know much about BT Inspiration, but if your paying rental, then
    i would definitely convert. From your initial description i'm guessing
    you like to tinker, and have grossly overspec'd kit for your home
    telephones (as many of us do! ;) This being the case, Asterisk will do
    everything you currently have plus the voip extras!

    If you decide to convert you will need:
    * An old computer (400-500Mhz will do nicely)
    * An adapter for your current handsets (ATA / FXS)
    * An adapter to connect your PSTN line to the machine (FXO)

    Daviey, Oct 5, 2006
  5. speckled hen

    speckled hen Guest

    Daviey wrote:
    > On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 06:07 -0700, speckled hen wrote:
    > > Daviey wrote:
    > > > >

    > <SNIP>
    > > >
    > > > What is your existing telephone network? I feel that it may be worth
    > > > Looking into Asterisk to either replace or integrate with your existing
    > > > telephone setup.
    > > >
    > > > If Asterisk look a little daunting, i would suggest looking at Trixbox
    > > > (it is Asterisk with lots of other bundles on a bootable installing
    > > > distro CD).

    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > > Its the BT inspiration system, just 2 analogue i/c lines with standard
    > > telephones as extensions, as well as a couple of Nokia premicells
    > > providing gsm acc

    > I don't know much about BT Inspiration, but if your paying rental, then
    > i would definitely convert. From your initial description i'm guessing
    > you like to tinker, and have grossly overspec'd kit for your home
    > telephones (as many of us do! ;) This being the case, Asterisk will do
    > everything you currently have plus the voip extras!
    >
    > If you decide to convert you will need:
    > * An old computer (400-500Mhz will do nicely)
    > * An adapter for your current handsets (ATA / FXS)
    > * An adapter to connect your PSTN line to the machine (FXO)

    Hi
    Not not paying rental, don't really want expense of new system, been
    looking at another post on this forum on similar solution. I think I
    will look around on ebay for an adaptor.
    Not sure if I will stay with sipgate as they have never given me an
    answer on my DG834+ATA set up, although I do like the idea of having a
    standard std number allocated
    Thanks

    speckled hen, Oct 5, 2006
  6. speckled hen

    Jono Guest

    speckled hen formulated the question :

    > Hi
    > Not not paying rental, don't really want expense of new system, been
    > looking at another post on this forum on similar solution. I think I
    > will look around on ebay for an adaptor.
    > Not sure if I will stay with sipgate as they have never given me an
    > answer on my DG834+ATA set up, although I do like the idea of having a
    > standard std number allocated
    > Thanks

    How many analogue line ports do you have available on your BT
    Inspiration? If you have a spare one, just buy something like a
    Linksys/Sipura SPA1001.(If you have 2, perhaps an SPA2102)

    Lowest price I've seen an SPA1001 is here:
    <http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=740&osCsid=3643534dccff2224149f89e9a745b94e>

    You may need to check it's not locked to their suggested VoIP provider,
    Orbtalk.

    Jono, Oct 5, 2006
  7. speckled hen

    speckled hen Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > speckled hen formulated the question :
    >

    > > Hi
    > > Not not paying rental, don't really want expense of new system, been
    > > looking at another post on this forum on similar solution. I think I
    > > will look around on ebay for an adaptor.
    > > Not sure if I will stay with sipgate as they have never given me an
    > > answer on my DG834+ATA set up, although I do like the idea of having a
    > > standard std number allocated
    > > Thanks

    > How many analogue line ports do you have available on your BT
    > Inspiration? If you have a spare one, just buy something like a
    > Linksys/Sipura SPA1001.(If you have 2, perhaps an SPA2102)
    >
    > Lowest price I've seen an SPA1001 is here:
    > <http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=740&osCsid=3643534dccff2224149f89e9a745b94e>
    >
    > You may need to check it's not locked to their suggested VoIP provider,
    > Orbtalk.

    Yes that looks good, prob give it ago and connect onto the phone system
    as i have a couple of spare line ports
    Thanks for your help

    speckled hen, Oct 5, 2006
  8. speckled hen

    Jono Guest

    speckled hen expressed precisely :
    > Jono wrote:
    >> speckled hen formulated the question :
    >>

    >>> Hi
    >>> Not not paying rental, don't really want expense of new system, been
    >>> looking at another post on this forum on similar solution. I think I
    >>> will look around on ebay for an adaptor.
    >>> Not sure if I will stay with sipgate as they have never given me an
    >>> answer on my DG834+ATA set up, although I do like the idea of having a
    >>> standard std number allocated
    >>> Thanks

    >> How many analogue line ports do you have available on your BT
    >> Inspiration? If you have a spare one, just buy something like a
    >> Linksys/Sipura SPA1001.(If you have 2, perhaps an SPA2102)
    >>
    >> Lowest price I've seen an SPA1001 is here:
    >> <http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=740&osCsid=3643534dccff2224149f89e9a745b94e>
    >>
    >> You may need to check it's not locked to their suggested VoIP provider,
    >> Orbtalk.

    > Yes that looks good, prob give it ago and connect onto the phone system
    > as i have a couple of spare line ports
    > Thanks for your help

    Then the SPA2102 would probably be more appropriate - it has two
    completely independant phone ports. The built in router can simply be
    ignored. The other thing that this one is capable of is T38 (?) for
    faxing over VoIP (FoIP)

    Jono, Oct 5, 2006
  9. speckled hen

    speckled hen Guest

    > >> How many analogue line ports do you have available on your BT
    > >> Inspiration? If you have a spare one, just buy something like a
    > >> Linksys/Sipura SPA1001.(If you have 2, perhaps an SPA2102)
    > >>
    > >> Lowest price I've seen an SPA1001 is here:
    > >> <http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=740&osCsid=3643534dccff2224149f89e9a745b94e>
    > >>
    > >> You may need to check it's not locked to their suggested VoIP provider,
    > >> Orbtalk.

    > > Yes that looks good, prob give it ago and connect onto the phone system
    > > as i have a couple of spare line ports
    > > Thanks for your help

    > Then the SPA2102 would probably be more appropriate - it has two
    > completely independant phone ports. The built in router can simply be
    > ignored. The other thing that this one is capable of is T38 (?) for
    > faxing over VoIP (FoIP)

    You say it has a built in router? So I assume I can plug one of my PCs
    into that port? It is that my son has a pc connect
    to the LAN and i am concerned about QOS as I am sure he is always down
    connection on my PC.
    Thanks for your help

    speckled hen, Oct 6, 2006
  10. speckled hen

    Jono Guest

    "speckled hen" <> wrote in message

    >> Then the SPA2102 would probably be more appropriate - it has two
    >> completely independant phone ports. The built in router can simply be
    >> ignored. The other thing that this one is capable of is T38 (?) for
    >> faxing over VoIP (FoIP)

    > You say it has a built in router? So I assume I can plug one of my PCs
    > into that port? It is that my son has a pc connect
    > to the LAN and i am concerned about QOS as I am sure he is always down
    > connection on my PC.

    Yes, it does have a simple router built in. AFAIK, though, it only has a
    10Mb WAN port. It's QoS isn't as configurable as you suggest you would like.
    It will prioritise VoIP but only reduce speeds on PCs connected to it. You
    wouldn't be able to use it to speed up your PC whilst your son's
    downloading. If you really want to use its QoS for VoIP, it needs to be
    connected to your network before any other devices.

    If you need to perform QoS on your entire network, I can heartily recommend
    a Linksys WRT54G (v 3.1) with the DWRT-VoIP Firmware flash.

    Jono, Oct 6, 2006
  11. speckled hen

    speckled hen Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > "speckled hen" <> wrote in message
    >
    > >> Then the SPA2102 would probably be more appropriate - it has two
    > >> completely independant phone ports. The built in router can simply be
    > >> ignored. The other thing that this one is capable of is T38 (?) for
    > >> faxing over VoIP (FoIP)

    > > You say it has a built in router? So I assume I can plug one of my PCs
    > > into that port? It is that my son has a pc connect
    > > to the LAN and i am concerned about QOS as I am sure he is always down
    > > connection on my PC.

    > Yes, it does have a simple router built in. AFAIK, though, it only has a
    > 10Mb WAN port. It's QoS isn't as configurable as you suggest you would like.
    > It will prioritise VoIP but only reduce speeds on PCs connected to it. You
    > wouldn't be able to use it to speed up your PC whilst your son's
    > downloading. If you really want to use its QoS for VoIP, it needs to be
    > connected to your network before any other devices.
    >
    > If you need to perform QoS on your entire network, I can heartily recommend
    > a Linksys WRT54G (v 3.1) with the DWRT-VoIP Firmware flash.

    No, I didn't expect it to speed up my PC more the opposite on my sons,
    and I was planning to do what you said and plug his pc into the router
    part of the spa2012.
    I looked at the info of the adaptor on the broadbandstuff.co.uk site
    and there is a review on the spa2012 which says it is not easy to set
    up as it comes shipped with the USA/Austrailian format, has anyone else
    had probs with this?

    speckled hen, Oct 6, 2006
  12. speckled hen

    Jono Guest

    speckled hen brought next idea :
    what you said and plug his pc into the router
    > part of the spa2012.
    > I looked at the info of the adaptor on the broadbandstuff.co.uk site
    > and there is a review on the spa2012 which says it is not easy to set
    > up as it comes shipped with the USA/Austrailian format, has anyone else
    > had probs with this?

    They all come with non-UK specific default configurations. However,
    there is soooooooo much info here & places like <http://voxilla.com>
    that it makes it no issue.

    Jono, Oct 6, 2006