Suggest Drive DVD ROM + CD ROM and CD+G (Karaoke)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Thunder9, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. Thunder9

    Thunder9 Guest

    I want to play DVDs. And listen to music. And sing karaoke! All
    from my computer. So I'm looking for a combo rom drive.

    Nice to have's:
    Good at ripping CD's (ie can read all extended data)
    Good at ripping DVD's (ie supports multiple formats)

    I'll do my *writable* drive separate, but I'd like a good quality
    ($150 or less) DVD/CD ROM that also features CD+G (karaoke)

    Any suggestions?

    Pointers to web sites that let me see DVD/CD *ROM* drives that have
    CD+G?

    Regards,
    Thunder9

    Thunder9, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Thunder9

    Thunder9 Guest

    Recommend good DVD ROM Drive + CD ROM?

    Can anyone recommend a good DVD ROM drive that also does CD+G?

    Also "nice to have" would be good at ripping CD's and DVD's would be
    nice (ie supports extended CD data, multiple DVD formats).

    I'd really appreciate a link to a good site that rates DVD ROMS or
    even just lists a lot of DVD ROMs along with their supported features.

    Regards,
    Thunder9

    Thunder9, Oct 13, 2003

  3. Thunder9

    JAD Guest

    Re: Recommend good DVD ROM Drive + CD ROM?

    Plextor PX-320A PlexCombo DVD/CD-RW IDE MMC
    Sony CRX700E CD/DVD-RW IDE MM

    JAD, Oct 13, 2003
  4. Thunder9

    Thunder9 Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 03:27:03 GMT, "JAD" <> wrote:

    >"Thunder9" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Can anyone recommend a good DVD ROM drive that also does CD+G?
    >>
    >> Also "nice to have" would be good at ripping CD's and DVD's would be
    >> nice (ie supports extended CD data, multiple DVD formats).
    >>
    >> I'd really appreciate a link to a good site that rates DVD ROMS or
    >> even just lists a lot of DVD ROMs along with their supported features.
    >>

    >Plextor PX-320A PlexCombo DVD/CD-RW IDE MMC
    >Sony CRX700E CD/DVD-RW IDE MM

    I'm actually looking for DVD ROM + CD ROM. Hopefully to reduce price
    and/or increase "ripping" feature set. (I already have a writable CD
    drive.)

    Thanks,
    Thunder9

    Thunder9, Oct 13, 2003
  5. Thunder9

    JAD Guest

    Re: Recommend good DVD ROM Drive + CD ROM?

    Sony DDU220E DVD IDE MMC

    all well No all DVDrom that I know of are CD compatible the one above is +G

    JAD, Oct 13, 2003
  6. Thunder9

    Rick Guest

    "Thunder9" <> wrote in message
    > I want to play DVDs. And listen to music. And sing karaoke! All
    > from my computer. So I'm looking for a combo rom drive.
    >
    > Nice to have's:
    > Good at ripping CD's (ie can read all extended data)
    > Good at ripping DVD's (ie supports multiple formats)
    >
    > I'll do my *writable* drive separate, but I'd like a good quality
    > ($150 or less) DVD/CD ROM that also features CD+G (karaoke)
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Pointers to web sites that let me see DVD/CD *ROM* drives that have
    > CD+G?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Thunder9

    Liteon 166s about $40 at Walmart.

    CDRLabs for reviews http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/

    Rick, Oct 13, 2003
  7. Thunder9

    Skid Guest

    Re: Recommend good DVD ROM Drive + CD ROM?

    LiteOn makes some really fast and really cheap rippers. I have been using
    one for a couple of years now and recommend it highly. This model is on sale
    at www.newegg.com for $34 with free shipping:

    LITE-ON XJ-HD166S/XJ-HD165H 16X DVD ROM Drive - Retail
    Specifications:
    Speed :DVD-ROM 16X (6.4X~16X) - CD-ROM 48X (20X~48X)
    Interface : ATAPI-E/IDE
    Sustained Transfer Rate : Support up to Ultra-DMA/33 33.3MB/sec
    Burst Transfer Rate : Support up to Ultra-DMA/33 33.3MB/sec
    Access Time : 120ms (typical)
    MTBF : 70'000 Power On Hours with 20% Duty
    Supported OS: DOS 6.xx, Windows 95/98/NT/2000/
    Comes with Audio Cable, Manual and Power DVD Software.

    Skid, Oct 13, 2003