Suddenly, "save as" takes many seconds for save dialogue to appear

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by BillJosephson, Dec 20, 2006.

  1. Hello, thanks for any help. All of a sudden, whether working in
    microsoft word, excel, notepad, or photoshop, using the "save as"
    command results in a delay of 10 - 30 seconds before the save dialogue
    opens up. My hard drive is not full. Once the dialogue opens I can save
    OK.

    Thanks for any ideas....
    BillJosephson, Dec 20, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. BillJosephson

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 20 Dec 2006 09:54:43 -0800, "BillJosephson"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello, thanks for any help. All of a sudden, whether working in
    >microsoft word, excel, notepad, or photoshop, using the "save as"
    >command results in a delay of 10 - 30 seconds before the save dialogue
    >opens up. My hard drive is not full. Once the dialogue opens I can save
    >OK.
    >
    >Thanks for any ideas....


    What operating system? How much memory? What directory are you trying
    to save to? Are there lots of files in that directory? Try saving to a
    different directory (most apps remember the last directory used and
    save there.
    Evan Platt, Dec 20, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On 20 Dec 2006 09:54:43 -0800, "BillJosephson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello, thanks for any help. All of a sudden, whether working in
    > >microsoft word, excel, notepad, or photoshop, using the "save as"
    > >command results in a delay of 10 - 30 seconds before the save dialogue
    > >opens up. My hard drive is not full. Once the dialogue opens I can save
    > >OK.
    > >
    > >Thanks for any ideas....

    >
    > What operating system? How much memory? What directory are you trying
    > to save to? Are there lots of files in that directory? Try saving to a
    > different directory (most apps remember the last directory used and
    > save there.


    Thanks for the reply. I'm using winXT, and it doesn't matter where I
    try to save it.
    BillJosephson, Dec 21, 2006
    #3
  4. BillJosephson

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 21 Dec 2006 08:24:48 -0800, "BillJosephson"
    <> wrote:

    >> What operating system? How much memory? What directory are you trying
    >> to save to? Are there lots of files in that directory? Try saving to a
    >> different directory (most apps remember the last directory used and
    >> save there.

    >
    >Thanks for the reply. I'm using winXT, and it doesn't matter where I
    >try to save it.


    Ok, so I'm assuming you mean Windows XP.

    So.. on to the other questions I asked:

    How much memory do you have?

    What directory are you saving to? Are there lots of files in that
    directory?

    Make a new directory. Save files there.
    Evan Platt, Dec 21, 2006
    #4
  5. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On 21 Dec 2006 08:24:48 -0800, "BillJosephson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >> What operating system? How much memory? What directory are you trying
    > >> to save to? Are there lots of files in that directory? Try saving to a
    > >> different directory (most apps remember the last directory used and
    > >> save there.

    > >
    > >Thanks for the reply. I'm using winXT, and it doesn't matter where I
    > >try to save it.

    >
    > Ok, so I'm assuming you mean Windows XP.
    >
    > So.. on to the other questions I asked:
    >
    > How much memory do you have?
    >
    > What directory are you saving to? Are there lots of files in that
    > directory?
    >
    > Make a new directory. Save files there.



    This turned out to be a program I had installed called QuickFolders.
    Somehow it started making open and save dialogues slow. I never use it
    so just deleted it. I discovered this by using msconfig and
    systematically eliminating subsets of programs that start at boot.
    BillJosephson, Dec 22, 2006
    #5
  6. BillJosephson

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    >
    > Evan Platt wrote:
    > > On 21 Dec 2006 08:24:48 -0800, "BillJosephson"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >> What operating system? How much memory? What directory are you trying
    > > >> to save to? Are there lots of files in that directory? Try saving to a
    > > >> different directory (most apps remember the last directory used and
    > > >> save there.
    > > >
    > > >Thanks for the reply. I'm using winXT, and it doesn't matter where I
    > > >try to save it.

    > >
    > > Ok, so I'm assuming you mean Windows XP.
    > >
    > > So.. on to the other questions I asked:
    > >
    > > How much memory do you have?
    > >
    > > What directory are you saving to? Are there lots of files in that
    > > directory?
    > >
    > > Make a new directory. Save files there.

    >
    >
    > This turned out to be a program I had installed called QuickFolders.
    > Somehow it started making open and save dialogues slow. I never use it
    > so just deleted it. I discovered this by using msconfig and
    > systematically eliminating subsets of programs that start at boot.


    Often times it can also me mapped shares that no longer exist and other
    mapped items (like shared printers your computer can't reach any more).

    --


    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Dec 22, 2006
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andy
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    985
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=
    Jul 5, 2004
  2. NewB
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    388
    Sambucus Grandis Calxequina
    Nov 5, 2004
  3. Emily
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,560
  4. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    750
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
  5. glhglh
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    490
    Tony Sperling
    Oct 10, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page