Sudden wireless network problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bobby, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    My home wireless network has worked flawlessly for months but one of my PCs
    suddenly refused to work last night.

    I have a BT Broadband connection (1Mb). This connection works OK since the
    other PCs in my home connect OK (I am typing this from my wireless laptop).

    My hardware is: BT Voyager wireless router/modem. Belkin wireless network
    adapter. All running at 801g (54Mbit). I let my Belkin software manage the
    connection (not Windows). I'm running Windows XP SP2.

    Last night my Internet connection suddently went down. The PC was previously
    working fine (and connecting to the Internet without a problem). The icon in
    the system tray was reporting "limited connectivity" but I had something
    else to do and ignored the problem.

    But this morning the same problem arose. This time I appeared to have full
    (90%) connectivity according to the icon in the system tray. So I expected
    to connect to the Net without problems - but I couldn't (it timed-out).
    Worse, I can't connect to my router's home page. But my PC reports that my
    wireless adaptor is working OK and that I have connectivity (ranging from
    90-95%). But nothing works.

    Sometimes the system tray reports "limited connectivity" but if I disable
    and enable the connection it goes back to (almost) full connectivity. But I
    still can't "see" my wireless router (i.e. it's admin web page).

    I'm at a loss. Help!

    Cheers.

    Bobby

    Bobby, Aug 13, 2005

  2. Bobby wrote:
    > My home wireless network has worked flawlessly for months but one of my PCs
    > suddenly refused to work last night.
    >
    > I have a BT Broadband connection (1Mb). This connection works OK since the
    > other PCs in my home connect OK (I am typing this from my wireless laptop).
    >
    > My hardware is: BT Voyager wireless router/modem. Belkin wireless network
    > adapter. All running at 801g (54Mbit). I let my Belkin software manage the
    > connection (not Windows). I'm running Windows XP SP2.
    >
    > Last night my Internet connection suddently went down. The PC was previously
    > working fine (and connecting to the Internet without a problem). The icon in
    > the system tray was reporting "limited connectivity" but I had something
    > else to do and ignored the problem.
    >
    > But this morning the same problem arose. This time I appeared to have full
    > (90%) connectivity according to the icon in the system tray. So I expected
    > to connect to the Net without problems - but I couldn't (it timed-out).
    > Worse, I can't connect to my router's home page. But my PC reports that my
    > wireless adaptor is working OK and that I have connectivity (ranging from
    > 90-95%). But nothing works.
    >
    > Sometimes the system tray reports "limited connectivity" but if I disable
    > and enable the connection it goes back to (almost) full connectivity. But I
    > still can't "see" my wireless router (i.e. it's admin web page).
    >
    > I'm at a loss. Help!
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Bobby

    Firstly try to check your TCP/IP settings. Do you use DHCP ?
    try:
    start/run/cmd
    ipconfig

    If everything looking alright try to check your WEP and SNR.

    If still isn't working I could propose you to check your firewalls,
    antyvir softwere at your PC.

    Best Regards
    Marcin Gaszewski

    Marcin Gaszewski, Aug 13, 2005

  3. Hi Bobby,

    Reset the router first. Shut down the router and broadband modem. Then power
    up the modem and wait until it makes its connection, then power up the
    router. You may also find that you need to restart the systems connected to
    it, but you may get around it by running ipconfig /release, then /renew from
    a cmd prompt.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers, Aug 13, 2005
  4. On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 06:38:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <> wrote:

    >Reset the router first. Shut down the router and broadband modem. Then power
    >up the modem and wait until it makes its connection, then power up the
    >router.

    there is only one combined modem/router/wireless box.

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Aug 13, 2005
  5. Hi,

    Noted. Still though, power cycling is the first thing that should be done.
    As it is an all-in-one unit, I would disconnect the machines from it during
    this operation.

    Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers, Aug 13, 2005
  6. Bobby

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, Bobby says...
    > My home wireless network has worked flawlessly for months but one of my PCs
    > suddenly refused to work last night.
    >
    > I have a BT Broadband connection (1Mb). This connection works OK since the
    > other PCs in my home connect OK (I am typing this from my wireless laptop).
    >
    > My hardware is: BT Voyager wireless router/modem. Belkin wireless network
    > adapter. All running at 801g (54Mbit). I let my Belkin software manage the
    > connection (not Windows). I'm running Windows XP SP2.
    >
    > Last night my Internet connection suddently went down. The PC was previously
    > working fine (and connecting to the Internet without a problem). The icon in
    > the system tray was reporting "limited connectivity" but I had something
    > else to do and ignored the problem.
    >
    > But this morning the same problem arose. This time I appeared to have full
    > (90%) connectivity according to the icon in the system tray. So I expected
    > to connect to the Net without problems - but I couldn't (it timed-out).
    > Worse, I can't connect to my router's home page. But my PC reports that my
    > wireless adaptor is working OK and that I have connectivity (ranging from
    > 90-95%). But nothing works.
    >
    > Sometimes the system tray reports "limited connectivity" but if I disable
    > and enable the connection it goes back to (almost) full connectivity. But I
    > still can't "see" my wireless router (i.e. it's admin web page).

    If you're using MAC address filtering, check that.

    --
    Conor

    If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
    rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
    music.

    Conor, Aug 13, 2005
  7. On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 07:32:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <> wrote:

    >As it is an all-in-one unit, I would disconnect the machines from it during
    >this operation.

    sure. For info, in the UK separate ethernet ADSL modems are not very
    common, and are usually a nuisance as the default DSL service is PPPoA
    and not PPPoE.

    Cheers,

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Aug 13, 2005
  8. Bobby

    Brian Guest

    Did you reboot the router?

    Brian, Aug 13, 2005
  9. Bobby

    Kerry Brown Guest

    "Bobby" <> wrote in message
    > My home wireless network has worked flawlessly for months but one of my
    > PCs suddenly refused to work last night.
    >
    > I have a BT Broadband connection (1Mb). This connection works OK since the
    > other PCs in my home connect OK (I am typing this from my wireless
    > laptop).
    >
    > My hardware is: BT Voyager wireless router/modem. Belkin wireless network
    > adapter. All running at 801g (54Mbit). I let my Belkin software manage the
    > connection (not Windows). I'm running Windows XP SP2.
    >
    > Last night my Internet connection suddently went down. The PC was
    > previously working fine (and connecting to the Internet without a
    > problem). The icon in the system tray was reporting "limited connectivity"
    > but I had something else to do and ignored the problem.
    >
    > But this morning the same problem arose. This time I appeared to have full
    > (90%) connectivity according to the icon in the system tray. So I expected
    > to connect to the Net without problems - but I couldn't (it timed-out).
    > Worse, I can't connect to my router's home page. But my PC reports that my
    > wireless adaptor is working OK and that I have connectivity (ranging from
    > 90-95%). But nothing works.
    >
    > Sometimes the system tray reports "limited connectivity" but if I disable
    > and enable the connection it goes back to (almost) full connectivity. But
    > I still can't "see" my wireless router (i.e. it's admin web page).
    >
    > I'm at a loss. Help!
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Bobby

    It may be something simple. Have any neighbours recently added a wireless
    network? Have you installed anything that may be interfering? i.e. cordless
    phone, cheap fan that generates a lot of r/f noise, fluorescent desk lamp.
    etc.

    Kerry

    Kerry Brown, Aug 13, 2005
  10. Bobby

    Joan Archer Guest

    I agree that power cycling clears a lot of problems and also shut down the
    machines until the router is back up and steady then boot up the
    computers.
    With my setup it's a Wireless 4 port router with my machine connected by
    ethernet to the router, XPHomeSP2. The other XPHomeSP2 is connected
    through wireless and I have a WinME machine connecting through wireless.
    I find if I power cycle the router without switching off the machines
    first and get everything working again with regards connecting to the
    internet it plays havoc with shutting the XP's down at the end of the day.
    Joan

    Joan Archer, Aug 13, 2005
  11. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    The problem PC is a desktop system (not a laptop).

    The network also includes two laptops (including the one I'm typing this on)
    and another desktop PC. All connect wirelessly. All work perfectly.

    My problem PC was working perfectly. I did not make any network changes. I
    am reluctant to stop messing about with TCP/IP settings.

    My modem and router is a combined unit. I switched it off last night but the
    problem persisted this morning when I tried again. I presume switching it
    off is the same as a reboot. The lights on the modem/router report no
    problems whatsoever and every other PC/laptop works OK.

    I can't connect to my modem/router web management page so something
    fundamental must be going wrong between my PC and the router.

    I am going to try to re-install my wireless network adaptor software. Then I
    will replace my wireless adaptor to see if that helps.

    Bobby

    Bobby, Aug 13, 2005
  12. Bobby

    Tiscali Tim Guest

    Bobby <> wrote:

    > Thanks for the suggestions.
    >
    > The problem PC is a desktop system (not a laptop).
    >
    > The network also includes two laptops (including the one I'm typing
    > this on) and another desktop PC. All connect wirelessly. All work
    > perfectly.
    >
    > My problem PC was working perfectly. I did not make any network
    > changes. I am reluctant to stop messing about with TCP/IP settings.
    >
    > My modem and router is a combined unit. I switched it off last night
    > but the problem persisted this morning when I tried again. I presume
    > switching it off is the same as a reboot. The lights on the
    > modem/router report no problems whatsoever and every other PC/laptop
    > works OK.
    >
    > I can't connect to my modem/router web management page so something
    > fundamental must be going wrong between my PC and the router.
    >
    > I am going to try to re-install my wireless network adaptor software.
    > Then I will replace my wireless adaptor to see if that helps.
    >
    > Bobby

    Have you re-booted the problem PC? Does that help?

    If the PC *appears* to be connected to the PC but can't talk to it, some of
    the PCs wireless settings may have got corrupted somehow.

    What level of wireless security are you using - encryption, MAC address
    filtering, hiding SSID, etc.? If using encryption, make sure that the type
    and parameters are set up on the PC exactly as on the router. If using MAC
    address filtering, make sure that the PC's wireless card's MAC address is in
    the router's Permitted table.

    Can you ping the router from the PC?

    You can *check* the PC's TCP/IP settings without having to mess with/change
    them. When you type "ipconfig /all" at the Command prompt, does it display
    an IP address in the same range as that of the router, and with the same
    subnet mask?

    [If you don't know how to interpret what it is telling you, copy the output
    from ipconfig /all and paste it into this thread - preferably with the
    equivalent output from a PC which *does* work].
    --
    Cheers,
    Tim

    Tiscali Tim, Aug 13, 2005
  13. Bobby

    Tiscali Tim Guest

    Perhaps for the same reason as you call yourself <@> ?

    --
    Cheers,
    Tim

    Tiscali Tim, Aug 13, 2005
  14. Bobby

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Aug 13, 2005
  15. Bobby

    Ed. Guest

    Try this:

    Ed., Aug 13, 2005
  16. Bobby

    Sparda Guest

    Re: Re: Sudden wireless network problem

    "" wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 07:32:30 -0400, "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >As it is an all-in-one unit, I would disconnect the machines

    > from it during
    > >this operation.

    > sure. For info, in the UK separate ethernet ADSL modems are
    > not very
    > common, and are usually a nuisance as the default DSL service
    > is PPPoA
    > and not PPPoE.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Phil
    > --
    > Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    "ethernet ADSL modems"

    You mean a router? Like the one I have? (I live in England)

    "and are usually a nuisance as the default DSL service is PPPoA and
    not PPPoE."

    You sure about that? My BT connection work with both PPPoE and PPPoA.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Sudden-wireless-network-problem-ftopict408274.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1355384

    Sparda, Aug 14, 2005
  17. On 13 Aug 2005 19:35:40 -0400, Sparda
    <> wrote:

    >"ethernet ADSL modems"
    >You mean a router? Like the one I have? (I live in England)

    no, I mean an ADSL modem using ethernet to connect to a single device.

    >"and are usually a nuisance as the default DSL service is PPPoA and
    >not PPPoE."
    >You sure about that? My BT connection work with both PPPoE and PPPoA.

    yes I am sure, the default is PPPoA, it is the one BT recommend, they
    also added support for PPPoE which AOL use for one. I don't believe
    all ISPs support PPPoE (it adds overhead and an extra client).

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Aug 14, 2005
  18. Bobby

    Geoffrey Guest

    <> wrote:

    >You sure about that? My BT connection work with both PPPoE and PPPoA.

    You sure about that?

    --
    Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.

    Geoffrey, Aug 14, 2005
  19. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    PROBLEM SOLVED!

    Thanks for all the suggestions.

    The prize goes to the people who suggested that my network settings had got
    corrupted.

    But no-one got the solution -- restoring the PC using system restore.
    Although I guess the WinSock fix would probably have worked too.

    I think that the problem was caused by a Windows update. I think that I
    switched off my PC during an update - Windows reported this and said that I
    could continue the shutdown but I think that my problems arose after this.

    Anyway, system restore solved my problem. In fact, system restore solves
    every (software) problem in my experience.

    Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread.

    Bobby

    Bobby, Aug 14, 2005
  20. Re: PROBLEM SOLVED!

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:40:43 +0100, "Bobby" <>
    wrote:

    >Anyway, system restore solved my problem. In fact, system restore solves
    >every (software) problem in my experience.

    can also leave you with a broken windows installation requiring a
    re-install :-(

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Aug 14, 2005