Sudden Wireless Network Problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?dG1jZ2luNzEwMzk1?=, Sep 26, 2004.

  1. Greetings. Hopefully someone can help me. We have had a wireless network
    running in our house for several months now without issue. The system
    consists of a host unit (desktop) and two clients (one laptop and one
    desktop). The clients are tied to the host wirelessly while the host uses an
    ethernet cable. All components at D-Link products.

    Last night the clients suddenly stopped connecting to the internet. The
    hardware is working correctly according to the device manager on all fronts.
    I have tried to reconnect and repair the problem without success. We have
    also tried to set-up a new wireless network that does not help either; as
    well as uninstalling and reinstalling the network adaptors.

    On the desktop client computer, I noticed another "wireless connection
    available" that was not been present in the past. When I move the client
    laptop in the same area as the client desktop; it also shows the additional
    wireless connection. The connection is titled "MCGILL"; which happens to be
    the last name of a neighbor two doors over from us. They say that are not
    using any type of wireless computer network in their home but it seems odd.
    I have tried to delete the MCGILL connection but neither client computer will
    allow me to do that.

    I have run the windows help for wireless issues and did not find anything
    that fixed this problem.

    We would greatly appreciate any help!!!! Thanks!!!
    =?Utf-8?B?dG1jZ2luNzEwMzk1?=, Sep 26, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dG1jZ2luNzEwMzk1?=

    mike Guest

    change channel

    mike

    "tmcgin710395" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings. Hopefully someone can help me. We have had a wireless network
    > running in our house for several months now without issue. The system
    > consists of a host unit (desktop) and two clients (one laptop and one
    > desktop). The clients are tied to the host wirelessly while the host uses

    an
    > ethernet cable. All components at D-Link products.
    >
    > Last night the clients suddenly stopped connecting to the internet. The
    > hardware is working correctly according to the device manager on all

    fronts.
    > I have tried to reconnect and repair the problem without success. We have
    > also tried to set-up a new wireless network that does not help either; as
    > well as uninstalling and reinstalling the network adaptors.
    >
    > On the desktop client computer, I noticed another "wireless connection
    > available" that was not been present in the past. When I move the client
    > laptop in the same area as the client desktop; it also shows the

    additional
    > wireless connection. The connection is titled "MCGILL"; which happens to

    be
    > the last name of a neighbor two doors over from us. They say that are not
    > using any type of wireless computer network in their home but it seems

    odd.
    > I have tried to delete the MCGILL connection but neither client computer

    will
    > allow me to do that.
    >
    > I have run the windows help for wireless issues and did not find anything
    > that fixed this problem.
    >
    > We would greatly appreciate any help!!!! Thanks!!!

    ---
    mike, Sep 26, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?dG1jZ2luNzEwMzk1?=

    Paul E Guest

    I am no expert, but a quick check might help based on a similar experience I
    have had...

    Have you set your host to enable broadcasting the SSID? If you are running
    Windows XP, and Windows Wireless Zero Configuration is active, then my
    understanding is that you will latch onto a broadcast SSID first before you
    do to a non-broadcast SSID. In my case, my wireless stations were grabbing
    the signal from my neighbours router even though of course they did not have
    the correct encryption to allow doing anything with the signal. Once I
    enabled broadcasting of the SSID, I could make my own host the preferred
    connection.

    (Oh, and perhaps they are not running a wireless network, but are running a
    wireless connection for XBox or something?)

    Paul E, Sep 27, 2004