Sudden problems with WEP on home network

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ., Jul 27, 2006.

  1. .

    . Guest

    I have a pretty simple home network made up of:

    1. A Windows XP computer
    2. A Windows 2000 computer
    3. An old Macintosh G3 laptop (OS 9.2)

    The XP computer is connected directly to a Netgear router. The 2000 and
    Mac computers use a wireless internet connection. The 2000 computer has
    a Netgear card and the Mac has an Orinoco card running Apple Airport
    drivers. The router and the Orinoco card are from early 2003 and the
    Netgear card is from this year.

    The network has been stable and worked fine. Then all of a sudden
    today, while reading an online article on the Mac, I was unable to jump
    to the next page in the article. A bit of checking later and I saw that
    the XP computer (hardwired to the internet) had a working connection,
    but the 2000 computer (connected via wireless) did not.

    Played around and just for grins turned off WEP (I'd been using 128-bit
    protection, with the same pass string in effect for three years). All
    of a sudden, my connections worked again.

    But if I try to turn on WEP, I strike out. Both remote computers fail
    to connect.

    Obviously, I'm doing something wrong here.

    Please walk me through what I need to do to re-establish WEP, and enable
    the Windows 2000 computer (running Netgear software for its connection)
    and the Mac (running Airport software for its connection) to again
    connect to the home network.

    ., Jul 27, 2006

  2. .

    . Guest

    In article <>,
    "." <> wrote:

    > I have a pretty simple home network made up of:
    >
    > 1. A Windows XP computer
    > 2. A Windows 2000 computer
    > 3. An old Macintosh G3 laptop (OS 9.2)
    >
    > The XP computer is connected directly to a Netgear router. The 2000 and
    > Mac computers use a wireless internet connection. The 2000 computer has
    > a Netgear card and the Mac has an Orinoco card running Apple Airport
    > drivers. The router and the Orinoco card are from early 2003 and the
    > Netgear card is from this year.
    >
    > The network has been stable and worked fine. Then all of a sudden
    > today, while reading an online article on the Mac, I was unable to jump
    > to the next page in the article. A bit of checking later and I saw that
    > the XP computer (hardwired to the internet) had a working connection,
    > but the 2000 computer (connected via wireless) did not.
    >
    > Played around and just for grins turned off WEP (I'd been using 128-bit
    > protection, with the same pass string in effect for three years). All
    > of a sudden, my connections worked again.
    >
    > But if I try to turn on WEP, I strike out. Both remote computers fail
    > to connect.
    >
    > Obviously, I'm doing something wrong here.
    >
    > Please walk me through what I need to do to re-establish WEP, and enable
    > the Windows 2000 computer (running Netgear software for its connection)
    > and the Mac (running Airport software for its connection) to again
    > connect to the home network.

    Okay, I solved the most important of the problems involved here - I got
    both remote computers back online. The problem with the Mac had been
    that I needed to enter a $ sign in front of the hexadecimal WEP code.

    I still don't know what happened though to suddenly blow the two remote
    computers off the connection. This is only the second time in three
    years that has happened.

    ., Jul 27, 2006

  3. .. wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "." <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a pretty simple home network made up of:
    >>
    >> 1. A Windows XP computer
    >> 2. A Windows 2000 computer
    >> 3. An old Macintosh G3 laptop (OS 9.2)
    >>
    >> The XP computer is connected directly to a Netgear router. The 2000
    >> and Mac computers use a wireless internet connection. The 2000
    >> computer has a Netgear card and the Mac has an Orinoco card running
    >> Apple Airport drivers. The router and the Orinoco card are from
    >> early 2003 and the Netgear card is from this year.
    >>
    >> The network has been stable and worked fine. Then all of a sudden
    >> today, while reading an online article on the Mac, I was unable to
    >> jump to the next page in the article. A bit of checking later and I
    >> saw that the XP computer (hardwired to the internet) had a working
    >> connection, but the 2000 computer (connected via wireless) did not.
    >>
    >> Played around and just for grins turned off WEP (I'd been using
    >> 128-bit protection, with the same pass string in effect for three
    >> years). All of a sudden, my connections worked again.
    >>
    >> But if I try to turn on WEP, I strike out. Both remote computers
    >> fail to connect.
    >>
    >> Obviously, I'm doing something wrong here.
    >>
    >> Please walk me through what I need to do to re-establish WEP, and
    >> enable the Windows 2000 computer (running Netgear software for its
    >> connection) and the Mac (running Airport software for its
    >> connection) to again connect to the home network.

    > Okay, I solved the most important of the problems involved here - I
    > got both remote computers back online. The problem with the Mac had
    > been that I needed to enter a $ sign in front of the hexadecimal WEP
    > code.
    >
    > I still don't know what happened though to suddenly blow the two
    > remote computers off the connection. This is only the second time in
    > three years that has happened.

    Hmmm... There must be some sort of timer in your router to make this happen.
    No actually I think it's in the computer with win2k. :) LOL

    Randall Smith, Jul 30, 2006