Sudden Power Supply Death

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Sundog1966, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. Sundog1966

    Sundog1966 Guest

    I just had a power supply die on a machine. I was trading machines
    around and noticed that a machine that I had turned off was warm
    around the power supply fan area. At the tiem I thought it strange un
    plugged the machine and moved on to another task. When I finished
    that task a reconnected the machine intending to determine if the fan
    was working and why it was heating up. About 15 seconds after
    plugging it and and before I oculd turn it on I heard a loud pop and
    saw brown smoke with a very acrid odour. I unl\plugged the unit
    immediately. When I looked closer I saw a small silver object like a
    metal tube was visible in the fan area.

    Anyways I am going to get another PS and see if the machine was
    damaged. I am hoping that since it was not turned on at the time that
    there was no damage to any other components other then the power
    supply.

    Any comments on what went pop and why it did it when the machien was
    turned off. My knowledge of power supply operations is limited so any
    help from the electrical engineers would be of value.

    I am wondering if it is possible for damage to components (mb,hd,
    memory, cpu) etc to have occured even though the unit was switced off
    at the time?

    One other note I have this machien on a belkin UPS. Also a few weeks
    ago a major transformer at Ontario Hydro blew in our area leaving us
    without power for 30 minutes. My UPS kicked in and I was able to shut
    down all the equipment and unplug everything before the power returned
    but am wondering if there might have been a event surge that may have
    contributed to this damage? From my understanding the UPS should have
    blown if there was that kind of a problem.

    Sundog1966, Aug 3, 2003

  2. On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 11:22:34 -0400, Sundog1966
    <> wrote:

    >I just had a power supply die on a machine. I was trading machines
    >around and noticed that a machine that I had turned off was warm
    >around the power supply fan area. At the tiem I thought it strange un
    >plugged the machine and moved on to another task. When I finished
    >that task a reconnected the machine intending to determine if the fan
    >was working and why it was heating up. About 15 seconds after
    >plugging it and and before I oculd turn it on I heard a loud pop and
    >saw brown smoke with a very acrid odour. I unl\plugged the unit
    >immediately. When I looked closer I saw a small silver object like a
    >metal tube was visible in the fan area.

    Did it smell like fish? If so, it was a capacitor. If not, probably a
    major semiconductor device.

    >Anyways I am going to get another PS and see if the machine was
    >damaged. I am hoping that since it was not turned on at the time that
    >there was no damage to any other components other then the power
    >supply.
    >

    >Any comments on what went pop and why it did it when the machien was
    >turned off. My knowledge of power supply operations is limited so any
    >help from the electrical engineers would be of value.
    >
    >I am wondering if it is possible for damage to components (mb,hd,
    >memory, cpu) etc to have occured even though the unit was switced off
    >at the time?

    Yes, it's possible, but I'd think no in most cases.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 3, 2003

  3. Sundog1966

    Sundog1966 Guest

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 15:38:54 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 11:22:34 -0400, Sundog1966
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I just had a power supply die on a machine. I was trading machines
    >>around and noticed that a machine that I had turned off was warm
    >>around the power supply fan area. At the tiem I thought it strange un
    >>plugged the machine and moved on to another task. When I finished
    >>that task a reconnected the machine intending to determine if the fan
    >>was working and why it was heating up. About 15 seconds after
    >>plugging it and and before I oculd turn it on I heard a loud pop and
    >>saw brown smoke with a very acrid odour. I unl\plugged the unit
    >>immediately. When I looked closer I saw a small silver object like a
    >>metal tube was visible in the fan area.

    >Did it smell like fish? If so, it was a capacitor. If not, probably a
    >major semiconductor device.

    Now that you mention it that is exactly what is smells like, really
    bad fish! The smoke was a grey / brown color and very thick but
    brief, untill I turned it off.

    Sundog1966, Aug 3, 2003
  4. Sundog1966

    RussS Guest

    Yup - blown capacitor

    RussS, Aug 3, 2003
  5. First comment, ATX computers are ALWAYS partially "on" unless they are
    unplugged or turned off with the REAR switch on the power supply. So
    your computer WAS, in fact, "on" (partially, but enough) at the time of
    the failure, even though you thought it was "shut down"/"off".

    Your symptoms suggest an extremely catastrophic failure mode that is
    atypical. It's possible that the computer was damaged; it's possible
    that it wasn't damaged. No way to be sure without trying it. In terms
    of truly meaningful information, there really isn't much information here.

    Similarly, there is not enough information available to know either
    exactly what happened, or exactly why it happened. The anser to
    virtually all of your questions, given the information available, is
    "maybe". Maybe the transformer failure was a factor, maybe not, maybe
    the UPS would have protected the PC, maybe not, etc.

    Sorry I can't be of much more help.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 4, 2003