Sudden PC death syndrome

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DemoDisk, Apr 17, 2007.

  1. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    Had kind of a scare earlier today; I had started my computer and had
    been online just a few minutes when it suddenly shut itself down, just
    OFF. The only thing I had noticed was a slight harmonic waver from the
    fans that I'd heard before.

    I sprayed the case out back with canned air, but it was clean.
    Connections on the motherboard were secure, and the motherboard, memory,
    and video card were new two years ago.

    For now, things seem ok, but anybody know why the system would just shut
    itself off like that? I hope this motherboard doesn't have capacitor
    problems like the one it replaced.

    Thanks,
    JPM

    Here are some specs:
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum mobo
    512 MB Crucial 3200 RAM
    ATI Radeon 8500 Video
    Windows 98SE
    Spybot, AdAware, AVG, SBlaster
    DemoDisk, Apr 17, 2007

  2. DemoDisk

    GE Guest

    DemoDisk wrote:
    > Had kind of a scare earlier today; I had started my computer and had
    > been online just a few minutes when it suddenly shut itself down, just
    > OFF. The only thing I had noticed was a slight harmonic waver from the
    > fans that I'd heard before.
    >
    > I sprayed the case out back with canned air, but it was clean.
    > Connections on the motherboard were secure, and the motherboard, memory,
    > and video card were new two years ago.
    >
    > For now, things seem ok, but anybody know why the system would just shut
    > itself off like that? I hope this motherboard doesn't have capacitor
    > problems like the one it replaced.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JPM
    >
    > Here are some specs:
    > MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum mobo
    > 512 MB Crucial 3200 RAM
    > ATI Radeon 8500 Video
    > Windows 98SE
    > Spybot, AdAware, AVG, SBlaster

    You might want to swap in a new power supply...
    GE, Apr 17, 2007

  3. DemoDisk

    Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote:

    >Had kind of a scare earlier today; I had started my computer and had
    >been online just a few minutes when it suddenly shut itself down, just
    >OFF. The only thing I had noticed was a slight harmonic waver from the
    >fans that I'd heard before.
    >
    >I sprayed the case out back with canned air, but it was clean.
    >Connections on the motherboard were secure, and the motherboard, memory,
    >and video card were new two years ago.
    >
    >For now, things seem ok, but anybody know why the system would just shut
    >itself off like that? I hope this motherboard doesn't have capacitor
    >problems like the one it replaced.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >JPM
    >
    >Here are some specs:
    >MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum mobo
    >512 MB Crucial 3200 RAM
    >ATI Radeon 8500 Video
    >Windows 98SE
    >Spybot, AdAware, AVG, SBlaster

    If you don't have a UPS supplying power to the computer, you might
    consider picking one up.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

    --

    http://www.onahorse.com/
    , Apr 18, 2007
  4. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    "GE" <> wrote ...

    > You might want to swap in a new power supply...

    Thanks, GE, I could test it with a spare I have. I forgot to mention
    the PS is a new Antec 350W that I got after the old Abit mobo system
    wouldn't boot.

    JPM
    DemoDisk, Apr 18, 2007
  5. DemoDisk

    Vanguard Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in message
    > Had kind of a scare earlier today; I had started my computer and had
    > been online just a few minutes when it suddenly shut itself down, just
    > OFF. The only thing I had noticed was a slight harmonic waver from
    > the
    > fans that I'd heard before.
    >
    > I sprayed the case out back with canned air, but it was clean.

    So how is moving the dust INTO the computer case a good thing? You WILL
    have to remove the side panel to blow out the dust from inside the case
    and out through the PSU and case fans.

    > Connections on the motherboard were secure, and the motherboard,
    > memory,
    > and video card were new two years ago.
    >
    > For now, things seem ok, but anybody know why the system would just
    > shut
    > itself off like that?

    So you want remote analysis of a one-time power loss? Okay, here goes:
    - The heatsink fell off the CPU.
    - The PSU is dying and can no longer handle the current amperage load.
    - There was a brownout sufficiently low and long enough to trigger the
    PSU to power off.
    - A fan is getting worn and no longer spins at a minimal RPM so the BIOS
    decided the component was at risk and powered off the system.
    - A cockroach got snagged in the CPU fan which meant its RPM went to
    zero so the BIOS powered off the system.
    - You were petting the dry furry cat and then decided to go poking your
    static charged fingers inside the case.
    - You've blown the dust back INSIDE the case until there is now a
    blanket of dust over various components which acts like a heat insulator
    but keeps the heat in instead of out.
    - You leave the system unit on the floor on the carpet and has the same
    problem with lint as just mentioned regarding dust.
    - You smoke and the system unit is just a foot away.
    - Someone else in the family spilled a drink sitting atop the system
    unit, wiped up the external mess, and never said a thing to you.
    - The kids installed some covert software trying to steal your passwords
    and that software is crap, or you or them installed some warez
    crackedware (and got what you deserve).
    - A gamma ray struck your memory which scrambled the state of more than
    2 bits.
    - A capacitor, rectifier, or diode blew.
    - A solder flake or piece of snipped off part lead that has been resting
    against a couple of pins on a chip finally broke through the oxide layer
    and shorted out those pins. And blowing out the mobo and cards might've
    gotten rid of it or just moved it elsewhere inside.
    - The flash drive you were using for paging file space went bad so all
    the pages saved there by the OS and apps was lost which caused corrupted
    execution of code.
    - The power switch on the case is flaky; i.e., it can short its contacts
    because of a broken spring or metal loop, and you slammed down that cup
    of coffee onto the desk that jarred the defective power switch.

    Almost impossible to diagnose a one-time event that doesn't result in
    catastrophic failure to provide a state that still exists to look at.
    Vanguard, Apr 18, 2007
  6. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > If you don't have a UPS supplying power to the computer, you might
    > consider picking one up.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

    Heh. Yeah, could've been a simple power blip. But after I posted here,
    I attempted to restart Windows and got scare #2. It shut down instead
    and would not complete the reboot. For now, it seems okay. Thanks,
    Pennywise.
    DemoDisk, Apr 18, 2007
  7. I had a computer on my workbench last week with this problem. It turned
    out to be the old thermal grease was toast. "New thermal grease(Artic
    Silver) on the heatsink & processor" was the Rx.

    That stopped the weirdness. Heat makes the computer do weird things.
    YNNV.....;o)

    @}-}-------Rosee, Apr 18, 2007
  8. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    "@}-}-------Rosee" <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote in message
    > I had a computer on my workbench last week with this problem. It

    turned
    > out to be the old thermal grease was toast. "New thermal grease(Artic
    > Silver) on the heatsink & processor" was the Rx.
    >
    > That stopped the weirdness. Heat makes the computer do weird things.
    > YNNV.....;o)

    Hi, Rosee; thanks. My apologies for the late response, but the damn
    thing refused to power up after I last shut down Tuesday.

    When I upgraded the motherboard (the capacitors on the Abit BM6 mobo
    went bad) I made sure the new processor had Arctic Silver.

    Why the system's working now is anyone's guess. It seems okay this
    afternoon (Uptime: 0:02:29:29), but all I did was unplug a small TV from
    the Curtis power strip and re-re-seat the power cord in the PSU. I don't
    think that qualifies as expert service.

    When the PSU didn't immediately power off, I scanned for errors in safe
    mode and restarted. Coming out of Safe Mode, all I got was a small,
    squashed Windows logo followed by a blank screen. I've seen that beforfe
    recently and suspect vid trouble. Windows never loaded and Ctrl, Alt,
    Del did nothing.

    Then I hit reset and it booted normally, like nothing was wrong. Just in
    case it craps out again and I can't get back here soon, thanks for your
    help.

    JPM
    DemoDisk, Apr 20, 2007
  9. "DemoDisk" <> wrote

    > "@}-}-------Rosee" wrote...
    >> I had a computer on my workbench last week with this problem. It
    >> turned out to be the old thermal grease was toast. "New thermal
    >> grease(Artic Silver) on the heatsink & processor" was the Rx.
    >>
    >> That stopped the weirdness. Heat makes the computer do weird things.
    >> YNNV.....;o)

    > Hi, Rosee; thanks. My apologies for the late response, but the damn
    > thing refused to power up after I last shut down Tuesday.

    Bad switch, bad powersupply, failing component like a bad CD-Rom/RW/DVD,
    or a cooling fan with a bad connecion, that would interrupt stable,
    continuous voltage to all peripheals.

    > When I upgraded the motherboard (the capacitors on the Abit BM6 mobo
    > went bad) I made sure the new processor had Arctic Silver.
    >
    > Why the system's working now is anyone's guess. It seems okay this
    > afternoon (Uptime: 0:02:29:29), but all I did was unplug a small TV
    > from the Curtis power strip and re-re-seat the power cord in the PSU.
    > I don't think that qualifies as expert service.
    >
    > When the PSU didn't immediately power off, I scanned for errors in
    > safe mode and restarted. Coming out of Safe Mode, all I got was a
    > small, squashed Windows logo followed by a blank screen. I've seen
    > that beforfe recently and suspect vid trouble. Windows never loaded
    > and Ctrl, Alt, Del did nothing.

    I ass-u-me you have an extra fan on the video card for cooling....;o/

    Have you looked at a logged boot record to maybe distinguish what is
    failing to boot, and then start with that?

    Or...maybe one of your hard drives is failing to spin up on the first
    pass and needs the extra time to finally engage and start spinning. Do
    you have S.M.A.R.T. enabled? 0000OOOOoooooo....I think I would back up
    that drive....;o\

    @}-}-------Rosee, Apr 20, 2007