sudden connectingproblem with vpn

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Giny, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. Giny

    Giny Guest

    Dear all,

    Please help.
    I did something stupid.
    I have a Windows ME computer and have accessed my computer at work from my
    private house successfully for years using VPN/VNC.

    Yesterday I hvae messed up VPN connection it seems
    When I boot my computer I am asked for a password.
    I do not have a password so I always have to do "enter"and then it starts
    up.
    I wanted to get rid of this password-nonsense, so I removed all .pwl and I
    changed network settings "Client for Mirocosft Networks" into "Windows ".
    I DID get rid of the password nonsense, but since then I cannot access my
    computer at work anymore.......

    So I put the network setting back to Client for Microsoft network.
    But unfortunately, I can still not access my computer at work, so something
    more must have changed of which I am not aware.

    I made a 2nd dialup connection, but that does not wotk either.

    The message I get is: (literally tranlated from Dutch into English)
    Dialupnetwork cannot finish a connection
    failure (mistake?) 691.
    The computer on which you try to connect cannot make a connection for
    dialupnetwork.
    Check the password and try again.

    I DID check the password, I did make a 2nd dialup connection, but still it
    does not work.

    I rebooted many times, searched for all VPN FAQ's but nothing seems to work.
    I pinged the connection and that works.

    Whatelse can I do?
    I have a Windows ME and use an ADSL connection, so I am online all the time
    with a router.

    VPN/VNC worked until yesterday, I have no other Internet/email problems, so
    what can the problem be????
    Someone in the office restarted my computer there (altouhg there was nothing
    wrong he said) so that side is working.

    I hate myself for having changed something yesterday that was not so
    terrible to live with, never could guess that a minor change could cause
    problems.

    Thanks for help.

    Giny

    Giny, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Giny

    °Mike° Guest

    Save Password Check Box Is Unavailable

    Damaged Password List File Does Not Save Passwords

    Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or Windows XP

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:38:20 +0100, in
    <3fee0961$0$315$4all.nl>
    Giny scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 28, 2003

  3. Giny

    Giny Guest

    Dear Mike,

    It DOES save the password, but the connection does not work.
    Giny

    Giny, Dec 28, 2003
  4. Giny

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing VPN?

    The only other thing I can suggest, is a system restore.

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:12:58 +0100, in
    <3fee9e1a$0$316$4all.nl>
    Giny scrawled:

    >Dear Mike,
    >
    >It DOES save the password, but the connection does not work.
    >Giny
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Save Password Check Box Is Unavailable
    >>
    >> Damaged Password List File Does Not Save Passwords
    >>
    >> Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or Windows XP

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 28, 2003