such a thing as a printer without ink/toner etc?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jsc, Jul 17, 2004.

  1. jsc

    jsc Guest

    like what bob said... if its one that prints on carbon copy paper

    "Bob B" <> wrote in message
    > Maybe uses a cartridge which goes back and forth like the old fashioned

    type
    > writer...mind even that should have dried out by now. BB
    > "des" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I went to fix a PC lately and the owner had a Panasonic dot matrix

    > printer,
    > > don`t know the model number but he has had it for about 10 years and

    said

    jsc, Jul 17, 2004

  2. jsc

    No New News Guest

    "des"

    > I went to fix a PC lately and the owner had a Panasonic dot matrix

    printer,
    > don`t know the model number but he has had it for about 10 years and said

    he
    > never has to put ink or any sort of refill in.
    >
    > Does anyone know of such a printer? I know about thermal printers but

    they
    > use special paper, this prints on normal A4.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Des.

    I pulled an old KX-102? Panasonic dot-matrix out of the dust bin. This is
    at least 15 y.o. Plugged it in and it worked! I wish I could get the same
    performance from some of the new stuff out of the box.
    No New News, Jul 17, 2004

  3. jsc

    Mellowed Guest

    Dot Matrix, long obsolete for home use. Some businesses still use them
    for customer receipts/copies. 15 years ago my Wife about through me out
    due to the noise. They use a Ribbon. If it isn't used much, then maybe
    the ribbon is still good. However, I would think that the ribbon could
    dry up over the 10 years. They use 'fan fold' paper.

    "des" <> wrote in message
    : Hi,
    :

    des, Jul 17, 2004
  5. jsc

    MahaRaj Guest

    I wonder how you fix the PC then!
    he is right he has never bought an ink or any refill.
    But he was buying the RIBBONS only.
    I am sure you did not charge the "owner" for fix his PC.
    LOL
    :)

    MahaRaj, Jul 17, 2004
  6. jsc

    Bob B Guest

    Bob B, Jul 17, 2004
  7. No New News wrote:

    > "des"

    >> I went to fix a PC lately and the owner had a Panasonic dot matrix

    > printer,
    >> don`t know the model number but he has had it for about 10 years and said

    > he
    >> never has to put ink or any sort of refill in.

    >> Does anyone know of such a printer? I know about thermal printers but

    > they
    >> use special paper, this prints on normal A4.

    >> TIA

    >> Des.

    > I pulled an old KX-102? Panasonic dot-matrix out of the dust bin. This is
    > at least 15 y.o. Plugged it in and it worked! I wish I could get the same
    > performance from some of the new stuff out of the box.

    Good Lord! The ribbon wasn't bone dry?

    I think I still have one of those on the shelf somewhere. :0

    BZZZZZZZZZT BZZZZZZZZZT BZZZZZZZZZT BZZZZZZZZZT BZZZZZZZZZT

    No thank you! :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    New Pieces of Shakespeare Manuscript Found Near Salt Lake City USA
    Sorry - penguins only: http://snipurl.com/scolius (at blinkynet)
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 17, 2004
  8. jsc

    Unknown Guest

    Entirely possible to use two, three or four part carbon paper or even
    carbonless paper in a dot matrix printer.

    Unknown, Jul 18, 2004
  9. jsc

    Alan G Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:35:04 GMT, "Unknown" <>
    wrote:

    >Entirely possible to use two, three or four part carbon paper or even
    >carbonless paper in a dot matrix printer.

    I had need of one a couple of years ago. Was going to just buy new
    until I discovered prices had shot through the roof. Got a second hand
    amstrad 9 pin instead and lucky to find it. I shall look after it and
    cherish it :)

    Alan G, Jul 18, 2004
  10. jsc

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Alan G" <> wrote in message
    >| On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:35:04 GMT, "Unknown" <>
    >| wrote:
    >|
    >| >Entirely possible to use two, three or four part carbon paper or
    >| >even carbonless paper in a dot matrix printer.
    >|

    >| I had need of one a couple of years ago. Was going to just buy new
    >| until I discovered prices had shot through the roof. Got a second
    >| hand amstrad 9 pin instead and lucky to find it. I shall look after
    >| it and cherish it :)

    Ya wan't a few of MINE? I have a store room full of them <g>
    'Course, I won't let the Okidata machines go...but the cheapos are wasting
    WAY too much room.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jul 18, 2004