    dell onto the Inspiron and came up with this WSA Startup problem.

    HELP!

    Padraig

    pomorain, Sep 27, 2005

  2. pomorain

    Ish Taylor Guest

    "pomorain" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    > I've installed a linksys network adapter card in a Toshiba Satellite
    > 4090CDS laptop running Windows 98SE. When I boot up I get the message
    > "successful WSAStartup not yet performed" and no internet connection.
    > Linksys say this has nothing to do with their product but is a Winsock
    > problem. Any thoughts on how a non-very tech-savvy person could solve
    > this?
    >
    > I should add that the particular laptop ran a linksys adapter
    > successfully before. Then, when it was on loan, someone very small
    > pulled out the card and broke it. I tried using another (cheaper) card
    > which I couldn't get to work on it (though it's working fine on my Dell
    > Inspiron 8500 with Windows XP). So I installed the linksys card from my
    > dell onto the Inspiron and came up with this WSA Startup problem.
    >
    > HELP!
    >
    > Padraig

    I can't be specific, but I am running 2 older Toshiba laptops with PCMCIA
    network adapters. I have never had a problem with them. For what it's worth,
    that sounds like something left over from one of the other adapters. I
    would go to safe mode, device manager, network adapters, and remove
    everything there. Then reinstall the driver for your adapter. If that
    doesn't work try a registry cleaner.

    Ish Taylor, Sep 29, 2005

  3. pomorain

    Ish Taylor Guest

    "pomorain" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I've installed a linksys network adapter card in a Toshiba Satellite
    > 4090CDS laptop running Windows 98SE. When I boot up I get the message
    > "successful WSAStartup not yet performed" and no internet connection.
    > Linksys say this has nothing to do with their product but is a Winsock
    > problem. Any thoughts on how a non-very tech-savvy person could solve
    > this?
    >
    > I should add that the particular laptop ran a linksys adapter
    > successfully before. Then, when it was on loan, someone very small
    > pulled out the card and broke it. I tried using another (cheaper) card
    > which I couldn't get to work on it (though it's working fine on my Dell
    > Inspiron 8500 with Windows XP). So I installed the linksys card from my
    > dell onto the Inspiron and came up with this WSA Startup problem.
    >
    > HELP!
    >
    > Padraig

    I got curious and found this link.
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3305&st=0

    Ish Taylor, Sep 29, 2005
  4. pomorain

    pomorain Guest

    Thank you, that's very helpful. Will try.
    Padraig

    pomorain, Sep 29, 2005
  5. pomorain

    pomorain Guest

    Hey, thanks, that looks really promising and I'll try it tomorrow (need
    to sleep now) Padraig

    pomorain, Sep 29, 2005
  6. pomorain

    pomorain Guest

    I've tried that now but no luck. I mean I've tried everything except
    the registry cleaner. Thanks for you help. (Also ran WinsockFix).

    pomorain, Oct 9, 2005