Success!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com, Nov 13, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Successfully compiled and installed Gentoo 2004.2 completely from scratch.

    Now to compile a desktop: gnome, pan, evolution, mozilla, The Gimp, etc.
    :eek:)


    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
     
    , Nov 13, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Geronimo Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:42:33 +1300, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Successfully compiled and installed Gentoo 2004.2 completely from scratch.
    >
    >Now to compile a desktop: gnome, pan, evolution, mozilla, The Gimp, etc.
    >:eek:)
    >
    >
    >Divine




    I don't have to compile any thing to run XP..

    Way way better..
     
    Geronimo, Nov 13, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:38:28 +1300, Geronimo wrote:

    > I don't have to compile any thing to run XP..
    >
    > Way way better..


    No - you suffer the bloatware instead.

    Even *IF* I choose not to stay with Gentoo (unlikely that I'll choose that
    after taking the time to set it up correctly) I have learned a LOT about
    Unix/Linux in the process - and that is nuthin' but good.


    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
     
    , Nov 13, 2004
    #3
  4. -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:38:28 +1300, Geronimo wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:42:33 +1300, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Successfully compiled and installed Gentoo 2004.2 completely from scratch.
    >>
    >>Now to compile a desktop: gnome, pan, evolution, mozilla, The Gimp, etc.
    >>:eek:)
    >>
    >>
    >>Divine

    >
    >
    >
    > I don't have to compile any thing to run XP..
    >
    > Way way better..


    Maybe XP is better for you, maybe Gentoo would be better for me, but
    personally I can't be bothered going to all that effort and would use
    precompiled binaries, although I'm sure the end result is worthwhile.
     
    -[Myth]-, Nov 13, 2004
    #4
  5. Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:34:16 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:

    > maybe Gentoo would be better for me, but
    > personally I can't be bothered going to all that effort and would use
    > precompiled binaries, although I'm sure the end result is worthwhile.


    I'll let you know if it's noticably better to compile from scratch. :eek:)


    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
     
    , Nov 13, 2004
    #5
  6. Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:38:28 +1300, Geronimo wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:42:33 +1300, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Successfully compiled and installed Gentoo 2004.2 completely from scratch.
    >>
    >>Now to compile a desktop: gnome, pan, evolution, mozilla, The Gimp, etc.
    >>:eek:)
    >>
    >>
    >>Divine

    >
    >
    >
    > I don't have to compile any thing to run XP..
    >
    > Way way better..


    Good. Lets leave it at that. No point in argueing with a fool is there
    now, as then there would be two fools.
     
    Gordon, Nov 14, 2004
    #6
  7. Bret Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:42:33 +1300, wrote:

    > Successfully compiled and installed Gentoo 2004.2 completely from scratch.
    >
    > Now to compile a desktop: gnome, pan, evolution, mozilla, The Gimp, etc.
    > :eek:)
    >

    LOL, so you havent finished yet have you.
    What do you want a gui for?
     
    Bret, Nov 14, 2004
    #7
  8. Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:42:33 +1300, wrote:

    > Successfully compiled and installed Gentoo 2004.2 completely from scratch.
    >
    > Now to compile a desktop: gnome, pan, evolution, mozilla, The Gimp, etc.
    > :eek:)


    Bugger! Beat me too it.

    I once got an eariler version working and then got side tracked :-(

    To my mind compiling all the bits is like biulding your house after you
    have designed it. The point is that right from the start you have
    something which fits like a glove for you.

    With broadbnad Internet the concept of compiling from the start is here
    and now.

    I have been amazed by how the source is downloaded and complied with no
    GUI, only the barest of a text screen.

    To me Gentoo also allows one to have to really absolutely opt in for a
    programme.

    Why bother? Ask people who climb mountains instead of using a helicopter.
     
    Gordon, Nov 14, 2004
    #8
  9. Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:54:45 +1300, ""
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:38:28 +1300, Geronimo wrote:
    >
    >> I don't have to compile any thing to run XP..
    >>
    >> Way way better..

    >
    >No - you suffer the bloatware instead.
    >
    >Even *IF* I choose not to stay with Gentoo (unlikely that I'll choose that
    >after taking the time to set it up correctly) I have learned a LOT about
    >Unix/Linux in the process - and that is nuthin' but good.
    >

    You could learn about Linux without compiling it!

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Nov 14, 2004
    #9
  10. Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:32:16 +1300, ""
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:34:16 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:
    >
    >> maybe Gentoo would be better for me, but
    >> personally I can't be bothered going to all that effort and would use
    >> precompiled binaries, although I'm sure the end result is worthwhile.

    >
    >I'll let you know if it's noticably better to compile from scratch. :eek:)
    >

    Like - it takes a week to compile but it's milliseconds faster than a
    GP kernel?

    Cheers,

    Cliff


    --

    These twin-CPU hyperthreading computers are really
    great! We can wait ten to a hundred times faster
    these days.
     
    Enkidu, Nov 14, 2004
    #10
  11. Allistar Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:32:16 +1300, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:34:16 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:
    >>
    >>> maybe Gentoo would be better for me, but
    >>> personally I can't be bothered going to all that effort and would use
    >>> precompiled binaries, although I'm sure the end result is worthwhile.

    >>
    >>I'll let you know if it's noticably better to compile from scratch. :eek:)
    >>

    > Like - it takes a week to compile but it's milliseconds faster than a
    > GP kernel?


    The benefit of Gentoo is not necessarily the fact that things are optimised
    for your hardware (although that is a large benefit) but instead it is the
    portage system for maintaining dependencies.

    I used Mandrake 9.0, 9.1, 10.0CE then 10.OOfficial and in every version I
    had some degree of "rpm dependency hell". I always worked around the issue,
    but it was a pain in the arse doing something that the system could do.
    Welcome Gentoo and dependency issues completely vanish. I have never had
    one, and I've been using it for 8 months (ish) now (at both home and work).

    Another big benefit is that I get complete and absolute control over what
    gets installed and what gets enabled.

    My Gentoo system boots up much much faster than the Mandrake I had installed
    (not that I rebot much, maybe once every couple of months - when I install
    a new kernel).

    Allistar.
     
    Allistar, Nov 14, 2004
    #11
  12. Allistar Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:54:45 +1300, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:38:28 +1300, Geronimo wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't have to compile any thing to run XP..
    >>>
    >>> Way way better..

    >>
    >>No - you suffer the bloatware instead.
    >>
    >>Even *IF* I choose not to stay with Gentoo (unlikely that I'll choose that
    >>after taking the time to set it up correctly) I have learned a LOT about
    >>Unix/Linux in the process - and that is nuthin' but good.
    >>

    > You could learn about Linux without compiling it!


    It's from from the actual compilation that you learn but frmo the
    configuratio nfile changes, manually creating disk partitions, manually
    setting up a bootloader and manually configuring a kernel.

    Allistar.
     
    Allistar, Nov 14, 2004
    #12
  13. Mark Guest

    "Why bother? Ask people who climb mountains instead of using a helicopter."

    Nicely put :)


    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    -**-
    www.myoddjobs.co.nz :- Job auction website
    -**-
    Replace the Z with the e to reply
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:42:33 +1300, wrote:
    >
    > > Successfully compiled and installed Gentoo 2004.2 completely from

    scratch.
    > >
    > > Now to compile a desktop: gnome, pan, evolution, mozilla, The Gimp, etc.
    > > :eek:)

    >
    > Bugger! Beat me too it.
    >
    > I once got an eariler version working and then got side tracked :-(
    >
    > To my mind compiling all the bits is like biulding your house after you
    > have designed it. The point is that right from the start you have
    > something which fits like a glove for you.
    >
    > With broadbnad Internet the concept of compiling from the start is here
    > and now.
    >
    > I have been amazed by how the source is downloaded and complied with no
    > GUI, only the barest of a text screen.
    >
    > To me Gentoo also allows one to have to really absolutely opt in for a
    > programme.
    >
    > Why bother? Ask people who climb mountains instead of using a helicopter.
    >
    >
     
    Mark, Nov 14, 2004
    #13
  14. Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:46:44 +1300, Bret wrote:

    >> Now to compile a desktop: gnome, pan, evolution, mozilla, The Gimp, etc.
    >> :eek:)
    >>

    > LOL, so you havent finished yet have you. What do you want a gui for?


    I already have a stable, usable OS.

    I am presently working on adding extra, GUI, functionality.


    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
     
    , Nov 14, 2004
    #14
  15. Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:38:21 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    >>Even *IF* I choose not to stay with Gentoo (unlikely that I'll choose
    >>that after taking the time to set it up correctly) I have learned a LOT
    >>about Unix/Linux in the process - and that is nuthin' but good.
    >>

    > You could learn about Linux without compiling it!


    True, but this way it's really "hands on" "under-the-hood" learning.


    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
     
    , Nov 14, 2004
    #15
  16. steve Guest

    steve, Nov 14, 2004
    #16
  17. steve Guest

    Geronimo wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:42:33 +1300, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Successfully compiled and installed Gentoo 2004.2 completely from scratch.
    >>
    >>Now to compile a desktop: gnome, pan, evolution, mozilla, The Gimp, etc.
    >>:eek:)
    >>
    >>
    >>Divine

    >
    > I don't have to compile any thing to run XP..
    >
    > Way way better..


    ....but you also have no choice in the matter.

    Gentoo runs lean, fast and mean....optimised for the PC is was compiled on.

    XP won't let you do that......even if you wanted to.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1248
    ClimatePrediction.net
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/cpdn/stats.php?userID=334
     
    steve, Nov 14, 2004
    #17
  18. steve Guest

    steve, Nov 14, 2004
    #18
  19. steve Guest

    steve, Nov 14, 2004
    #19
  20. steve Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > My Gentoo system boots up much much faster than the Mandrake I had
    > installed (not that I rebot much, maybe once every couple of months - when
    > I install a new kernel).
    >
    > Allistar.


    Yeah.......my debian "woody" mail server has been up for over 80 days....
    (thanks to my UPS..which sustained it through two, +/- 10min power outages
    recently).

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1248
    ClimatePrediction.net
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/cpdn/stats.php?userID=334
     
    steve, Nov 14, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhhbmll?=

    SUCCESS!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhhbmll?=, Oct 20, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    683
    =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhhbmll?=
    Oct 20, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?TTc2?=

    A little success but still problems

    =?Utf-8?B?TTc2?=, Jan 16, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    741
  3. =?Utf-8?B?SmFjaw==?=

    Success at last with one minor problem.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFjaw==?=, Feb 22, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    420
    =?Utf-8?B?QkFS?=
    Feb 22, 2005
  4. Guest
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    745
    some.one@localhost
    Mar 10, 2005
  5. Guest
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    6,283
    JenaJoseph
    Apr 19, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page