    Regards
    Alan
    UK

    Alan, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Alan

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in
    news:bq6alf$fat$:

    > Many thanks Thor, it worked. Whilst here can I ask if I can change my
    > original HD from FAT 32 to NTFS and if so how? I would also be
    > interested in your opinions and preference on these two systems.

    NTFS uses smaller cluster sizes than FAT32, so it wastes less space. It
    also allows you to set file and folder access permissions.
    The only advantage FAT32 provides is backward compatibility. If you have
    to boot with a 98 startup disk, it won't see your NTFS partitions, but it
    will see and be able to access FAT32 partitions.

    To convert from FAT32 to NTFS from Windows (assuming windows NT/2000/XP),
    it is a one way conversion (you can't convert back without losing all the
    data), you can type:
    convert x: /fs:NTFS /v
    which will convert drive X to NTFS, /v is optional and just gives
    information about what it is doing.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 28, 2003

  3. Alan

    Thor Guest

    It's right there in your windows help. :)

    To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt

    1.. Open Command Prompt.
    2.. In the command prompt window, type
    convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

    For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the
    ntfs format.

    Notes

    a.. To open command prompt, click Start, point to Programs, point to
    Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    b.. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

    Thor, Nov 28, 2003
  4. Alan

    Thor Guest

    Sorry, I forgot to address your other question in that earlier reply.

    FAT32 has less overhead, and it's speedier on small volumes, compared to
    NTFS, according to what I've read. It's also easier to get access to files
    on a FAT32 volume when windows is crippled.

    FAT32 is a far less efficient storage method with larger volumes compared to
    NTFS. There is typically an incredible amount of file slack on the average
    FAT32 volume on a large drive (something larger than 10GB) FAT32 is less
    robust and less resistant to file system problems than NTFS. Minor file
    system errors, lost allocation units, FSinfo misreporting, etc. are routine
    occurrences with FAT32. NTFS rarely has corruption problems unless there is
    a hardware issue, even with abnormal shutdowns, etc. FAT32 is less secure
    than NTFS. You can easily encrypt, and compress data in windows with NTFS.
    You also get a host of file and folder permission options with NTFS. It's a
    must for running on a network where security is a concern.

    The sole biggest downside to NTFS, to me, is the issue of quickly accessing
    important data or working on files from a command-prompt environment if
    windows is hosed to the point where it won't boot up. But there are tools
    available to make it easier. NTFS-aware boot tools can allow you to get
    around these issues for the most part. I run NTFS on my personal machine,
    and it runs great. Very trouble-free. I recommend it.

    Thor, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Alan

    Thor Guest

    well, now. That was interesting. When I copy/pasted out of the help file, OE
    went ahead and attached the little graphic files that were part of the HTML
    help page, even though I post in plain text. Whoops. I'll have to watch that
    next time.

    Thor, Nov 28, 2003
  6. Alan

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > well, now. That was interesting. When I copy/pasted out of the help
    > file, OE went ahead and attached the little graphic files that were
    > part of the HTML help page, even though I post in plain text. Whoops.
    > I'll have to watch that next time.

    It came through as plain text on my end...

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 28, 2003
  7. Alan

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > The sole biggest downside to NTFS, to me, is the issue of quickly
    > accessing important data or working on files from a command-prompt
    > environment if windows is hosed to the point where it won't boot up.
    > But there are tools available to make it easier. NTFS-aware boot tools
    > can allow you to get around these issues for the most part. I run NTFS
    > on my personal machine, and it runs great. Very trouble-free. I
    > recommend it.

    My mentality is this:
    FAT32 is easier to fix should the FS get destroyed somehow, while NTFS
    takes a bit more work to get at the data. However, how often has anyone
    seen an NTFS volume require fixing? Aside from the OS itself dying, I've
    never seen any reason I couldn't access an NTFS drive short of a failure of
    the disk itself or the controller/cable.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 28, 2003
  8. Alan

    V W Wall Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > well, now. That was interesting. When I copy/pasted out of the help file, OE
    > went ahead and attached the little graphic files that were part of the HTML
    > help page, even though I post in plain text. Whoops. I'll have to watch that
    > next time.

    I just now reviewed alt.computer files. Your message did indeed have the two
    ..gif
    files as attachments. (shortcutCold.gif and note.gif).

    They were down at the bottom, after all the quoted text, on Netscape 4.80.
    Perhaps DeMoN's newsreader stripped them.

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    V W Wall, Nov 28, 2003
  9. Alan

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    V W Wall <> wrote in

    > Perhaps DeMoN's newsreader stripped them.

    Xnews normally saves them to a default location and I have it set to auto-
    open image files, but they just aren't there... I dunno why

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 28, 2003
  10. Alan

    Alan Guest

    --
    To e-mail leave out REMOVEME from address.
    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry, I forgot to address your other question in that earlier reply.
    >
    > FAT32 has less overhead, and it's speedier on small volumes, compared to
    > NTFS, according to what I've read. It's also easier to get access to files
    > on a FAT32 volume when windows is crippled.
    >
    > FAT32 is a far less efficient storage method with larger volumes compared

    > NTFS. There is typically an incredible amount of file slack on the average
    > FAT32 volume on a large drive (something larger than 10GB) FAT32 is less
    > robust and less resistant to file system problems than NTFS. Minor file
    > system errors, lost allocation units, FSinfo misreporting, etc. are

    routine
    > occurrences with FAT32. NTFS rarely has corruption problems unless there

    is
    > a hardware issue, even with abnormal shutdowns, etc. FAT32 is less secure
    > than NTFS. You can easily encrypt, and compress data in windows with NTFS.
    > You also get a host of file and folder permission options with NTFS. It's

    > must for running on a network where security is a concern.
    >
    > The sole biggest downside to NTFS, to me, is the issue of quickly

    accessing
    > important data or working on files from a command-prompt environment if
    > windows is hosed to the point where it won't boot up. But there are tools
    > available to make it easier. NTFS-aware boot tools can allow you to get
    > around these issues for the most part. I run NTFS on my personal machine,
    > and it runs great. Very trouble-free. I recommend it.
    >

    > "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > > Many thanks Thor, it worked. Whilst here can I ask if I can change my
    > > original HD from FAT 32 to NTFS and if so how? I would also be

    > interested
    > > in your opinions and preference on these two systems.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Alan
    > > UK

    Thanks for all the help, I have successfully install my second HD which is
    working fine. At present I have it on NTFS and my original HD on FAT32 and
    may keep this configuration for a while to observe the differences. Thanks
    to you all.
    Regards
    Alan
    UK

    Alan, Nov 28, 2003
  11. Alan

    Thor Guest

    yeah, it was plain text on my end too, but also had a couple of picture
    attachments that were little shortcut arrows from the HTML help formatting.
    OE decided to attach those as well. I saw them on my post when it showed up
    on my news server. They may have been stripped off automatically on your
    end.

    Thor, Nov 28, 2003
  12. Alan

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 11:45:35 +0000 (UTC), "Alan"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for all the help, I have successfully install my second HD which is
    >working fine. At present I have it on NTFS and my original HD on FAT32 and
    >may keep this configuration for a while to observe the differences. Thanks
    >to you all.
    >Regards
    >Alan
    >UK

    And you CAN convert that NTFS drive to FAT32 when you so desire, Alan.
    You just can't do it with Windows.

    NTFS and FAT32 are both fine...until something goes wrong.

    With NTFS...you might as well kiss your data goodbye.

    If you go with NTFS, I'd suggest doing an error check at least once a
    week...so it can fix its indices if it needs to.

    Good luck...

    Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 29, 2003
  13. Alan

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Trent© <> wrote in

    > With NTFS...you might as well kiss your data goodbye.
    >
    > If you go with NTFS, I'd suggest doing an error check at least once a
    > week...so it can fix its indices if it needs to.

    Have you been hitting the crack pipe? It is near impossible to lose data
    off an NTFS drive unless something becomes physically defective.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 29, 2003
  14. Alan

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:34:20 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >Trent© <> wrote in
    >
    >> With NTFS...you might as well kiss your data goodbye.
    >>
    >> If you go with NTFS, I'd suggest doing an error check at least once a
    >> week...so it can fix its indices if it needs to.

    >Have you been hitting the crack pipe? It is near impossible to lose data
    >off an NTFS drive unless something becomes physically defective.

    LOSE it?!

    Its damn near impossible to even ACCESS it! lol

    Trent©, Nov 29, 2003
  15. Alan

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Trent© <> wrote in

    > Its damn near impossible to even ACCESS it! lol

    Really? So a 9x boot disk with NTFSDOS is impossible?

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 29, 2003
  16. Alan

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 02:40:16 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >Trent© <> wrote in
    >
    >> Its damn near impossible to even ACCESS it! lol

    >Really? So a 9x boot disk with NTFSDOS is impossible?

    THEN what will you do? lol

    Trent©, Nov 29, 2003
  17. Alan

    Michael-NC Guest

    Alan, disregard any and all information from Trent. He is simply a troll who
    enjoys passing on misinformation. His reputation on this board is well known
    by all. He's regarded as scum.

    Michael-NC, Nov 29, 2003
  18. Alan

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Trent© <> wrote in

    > THEN what will you do? lol

    .... Read the data you need? I fail to see how a destroyed operating
    system in either case (FAT32 or NTFS) changes much. If you want to
    reinstall the OS, either way it won't wipe other data on the drive. Do you
    have a point this time?

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 29, 2003
  19. Alan

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > Sorry, I forgot to address your other question in that earlier reply.

    'cause you/re too busy posting in html [g]

    Plato, Nov 30, 2003
  20. Alan

    V W Wall Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > > Sorry, I forgot to address your other question in that earlier reply.

    > 'cause you/re too busy posting in html [g]

    Don't look a .gif horse in the mouth! ;-O

    Virg Wall

    V W Wall, Nov 30, 2003