    Any way of getting the list back ?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Mar 7, 2007

  2. Robert11

    Robin Guest

    HIccup, I guess. It happened to me also. Only it was just one group that
    dissapeared. I was told to try resetting the group list and it worked for
    me. I just had to go find the one that disappeared again and re sub to it.
    Hope this helps.
    Robin

    Robin, Mar 7, 2007

  3. Robert11

    Frosty Guest

    On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:27:07 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Robin"
    <>, intended to write something intelligible, but
    instead wrote :

    >HIccup, I guess. It happened to me also. Only it was just one group that
    >dissapeared. I was told to try resetting the group list and it worked for
    >me. I just had to go find the one that disappeared again and re sub to it.
    >Hope this helps.
    >Robin

    And it's never happened to me.
    Hmmm....you two use Outhouse & I use Agent. What *could* be the
    reason?

    Frosty, Mar 8, 2007
  4. Robert11

    Flair Guest

    Frosty wrote:

    > On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:27:07 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Robin"
    > <>, intended to write something intelligible, but
    > instead wrote :
    >
    >> HIccup, I guess. It happened to me also. Only it was just one group
    >> that dissapeared. I was told to try resetting the group list and it
    >> worked for me. I just had to go find the one that disappeared again
    >> and re sub to it. Hope this helps.
    >> Robin

    > And it's never happened to me.
    > Hmmm....you two use Outhouse & I use Agent. What *could* be the
    > reason?

    If you really wanna know, what happened was Giganews (Comcast outsources
    newsgroups to Giga) had a server go belly-up. Different newsreaders handled
    the situation differently. Agent and others left subscribed groups on the
    users subscribed list even though they were not available, while OE and
    others automatically unsubed you from the groups (if you tried to access
    them) during the time they were not on the server. You could argue it
    either way I guess. You could say Agent et.al handled it better by leaving
    you subscribed to groups that didn't exist, or OE et.al handled it better by
    automatically unsubscribing you from groups that didn't exist. No
    newsreader has any way of 'knowing' if the groups were removed intentionally
    and for good. Or if, as was the case, it was temporary server outage. The
    fact remains though, that it was a Giganews server issue. Not a client
    issue.

    >> "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello:
    >>>
    >>> Always something new, i guess:
    >>> Running XP, and use Outlook Express vers 6.
    >>>
    >>> I use comcast, and their newsgroups comes up under:
    >>> newsgroups.comcast.net
    >>>
    >>> For the first time ever, all the ones I "subscribed" to was gone.
    >>> Just the comcast server icon shows up, but all my subscribed
    >>> listings under it (about 30 or so), are completely gone.
    >>>
    >>> What might have happened ?
    >>>
    >>> Any way of getting the list back ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Bob
    Flair, Mar 8, 2007
  5. Flair wrote:
    > Frosty wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:27:07 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Robin"
    >> <>, intended to write something intelligible, but
    >> instead wrote :
    >>
    >>> HIccup, I guess. It happened to me also. Only it was just one group
    >>> that dissapeared. I was told to try resetting the group list and it
    >>> worked for me. I just had to go find the one that disappeared again
    >>> and re sub to it. Hope this helps. Robin

    >> And it's never happened to me. Hmmm....you two use Outhouse & I use
    >> Agent. What *could* be the reason?

    Outlook Express. See below.

    > If you really wanna know, what happened was Giganews (Comcast
    > outsources newsgroups to Giga) had a server go belly-up. Different
    > newsreaders handled the situation differently. Agent and others left
    > subscribed groups on the users subscribed list even though they were
    > not available, while OE and others automatically unsubed you from the
    > groups (if you tried to access them) during the time they were not on
    > the server. You could argue it either way I guess. You could say
    > Agent et.al handled it better by leaving you subscribed to groups that
    > didn't exist, or OE et.al handled it better by automatically
    > unsubscribing you from groups that didn't exist. No newsreader has
    > any way of 'knowing' if the groups were removed intentionally and for
    > good. Or if, as was the case, it was temporary server outage. The
    > fact remains though, that it was a Giganews server issue. Not a
    > client issue.

    Well, then there's the answer -- since "no newsreader has any way of
    'knowing'" then it shouldn't kill off the subscription list; it should
    leave it intact for the user to decide and act upon. Ergo, Agent did it
    right and OE, as usual, did not.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 8, 2007
  6. Robert11

    Flair Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Flair wrote:
    >> Frosty wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:27:07 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Robin"
    >>> <>, intended to write something intelligible, but

    >>> And it's never happened to me. Hmmm....you two use Outhouse & I use
    >>> Agent. What *could* be the reason?

    > Outlook Express. See below.
    >
    >> If you really wanna know, what happened was Giganews (Comcast
    >> outsources newsgroups to Giga) had a server go belly-up. Different
    >> newsreaders handled the situation differently. Agent and others left
    >> subscribed groups on the users subscribed list even though they were
    >> not available, while OE and others automatically unsubed you from the
    >> groups (if you tried to access them) during the time they were not on
    >> the server. You could argue it either way I guess. You could say
    >> Agent et.al handled it better by leaving you subscribed to groups
    >> that didn't exist, or OE et.al handled it better by automatically
    >> unsubscribing you from groups that didn't exist. No newsreader has
    >> any way of 'knowing' if the groups were removed intentionally and for
    >> good. Or if, as was the case, it was temporary server outage. The
    >> fact remains though, that it was a Giganews server issue. Not a
    >> client issue.

    > Well, then there's the answer -- since "no newsreader has any way of
    > 'knowing'" then it shouldn't kill off the subscription list; it should
    > leave it intact for the user to decide and act upon. Ergo, Agent did
    > it right and OE, as usual, did not.

    Figures.
    Flair, Mar 9, 2007
  7. Flair wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Flair wrote:

    >> Outlook Express. See below.
    >>
    >>> If you really wanna know, what happened was Giganews (Comcast
    >>> outsources newsgroups to Giga) had a server go belly-up. Different
    >>> newsreaders handled the situation differently. Agent and others left
    >>> subscribed groups on the users subscribed list even though they were
    >>> not available, while OE and others automatically unsubed you from the
    >>> groups (if you tried to access them) during the time they were not on
    >>> the server. You could argue it either way I guess. You could say
    >>> Agent et.al handled it better by leaving you subscribed to groups
    >>> that didn't exist, or OE et.al handled it better by automatically
    >>> unsubscribing you from groups that didn't exist. No newsreader has
    >>> any way of 'knowing' if the groups were removed intentionally and for
    >>> good. Or if, as was the case, it was temporary server outage. The
    >>> fact remains though, that it was a Giganews server issue. Not a
    >>> client issue.

    >> Well, then there's the answer -- since "no newsreader has any way of
    >> 'knowing'" then it shouldn't kill off the subscription list; it should
    >> leave it intact for the user to decide and act upon. Ergo, Agent did
    >> it right and OE, as usual, did not.

    It doesn't take a Linux user to know OE is a piece of shit, Sparky.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 9, 2007
  8. Robert11

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 20:33:56 -0500, "Flair" <> wrote:

    >Blinky the Shark wrote:

    <snip>
    >> Well, then there's the answer -- since "no newsreader has any way of
    >> 'knowing'" then it shouldn't kill off the subscription list; it should
    >> leave it intact for the user to decide and act upon. Ergo, Agent did
    >> it right and OE, as usual, did not.

    >Figures.

    One could say the say thing about

    Your point (or lack of same) is invalid. Agent works with *both* Windows *and*
    Linux (with Wine.) It's simply an ad hominem argument, and makes you look
    foolish.

    Get a real, RFC-compliant newsreader, and you won't have to worry about stuff
    like that.

    --
    Can you SysAdmins tell me what might go on in a typical day?
    Hours of endless frustration punctuated by moments of sheer terror.
    Mara, Mar 9, 2007
  9. On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:57:18 -0600, Mara wrote:

    > On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 20:33:56 -0500, "Flair" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > <snip>
    >>> Well, then there's the answer -- since "no newsreader has any way of
    >>> 'knowing'" then it shouldn't kill off the subscription list; it should
    >>> leave it intact for the user to decide and act upon. Ergo, Agent did
    >>> it right and OE, as usual, did not.

    >>Figures.

    > One could say the say thing about

    > By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3028
    >
    > Your point (or lack of same) is invalid. Agent works with *both* Windows
    > *and* Linux (with Wine.) It's simply an ad hominem argument, and makes you
    > look foolish.
    >
    > Get a real, RFC-compliant newsreader, and you won't have to worry about
    > stuff like that.

    To all but the *completely* clueless, OE is regarded as a POS. I've seen
    quite a few M$ MVPs use Agent, Xnews, Xananews etc & even the windoze
    version of SLRN, so even *they* won't use Outhosed Excess. Even a PC
    magazine slated it: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1791516,00.asp

    Personally, I have OE users deleted by leafnode at server level because
    the majority are a waste of time IMO.
    William Poaster, Mar 9, 2007
  10. Robert11

    Guest

    "Flair" <> wrote:

    >Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Well, then there's the answer -- since "no newsreader has any way of
    >> 'knowing'" then it shouldn't kill off the subscription list; it should
    >> leave it intact for the user to decide and act upon. Ergo, Agent did
    >> it right and OE, as usual, did not.

    Meaning he might have a clue.

    >Figures.

    it does.