    equation
    --
    MCSA is just the beginning...

    =?Utf-8?B?RUVXYXNoaW5ndG9u?=, Feb 1, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RUVXYXNoaW5ndG9u?=

    LRM Guest

    "EEWashington" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I had a problem where I'm supposed to find subnets using the equation 2n-2
    > with n being the number of bits I borrow from the original subnet mask. If
    > wanted to borrow 3 bits, using traditional algebra it would be 2(3)-2
    > which
    > equals 4 (subnets). But their example came up with 8 subnets so is that
    > equation a misprint and should be 2 to the 3rd power (2x2x2 which equals
    > 8)?
    > And if that is true then I'm assuming I can ignore the (-2) part of the
    > equation
    > --
    > MCSA is just the beginning...

    2^x-2 is to determine host bits. So lets say you have a class C subnet mask,
    which gives you 8 bits for the hosts, the equation would work, 2^8-2 which
    is 254. The reason you subtract to 2 is that one is a network IP and one is
    a broadcast IP neither of which can be assigned to a host. So your subnet is
    lets say 192.168.1.0/24. 192.168.1.0 is network and 192.168.1.255 broadcast.
    The IPs in between can be assigned to nodes on your subnet.

    For Subnets, however, you wouldn't subtract the 2, it would be just 2^x. In
    your example above it is 2^3 which does equal 8.

    If the question was asking for subnets you would not use -2 in your
    equation.

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2

    LRM, Feb 1, 2006

  3. "LRM" <> wrote in message

    > 2^x-2 is to determine host bits. So lets say you have a class C subnet
    > mask, which gives you 8 bits for the hosts, the equation would work, 2^8-2
    > which is 254. The reason you subtract to 2 is that one is a network IP and
    > one is a broadcast IP neither of which can be assigned to a host. So your
    > subnet is lets say 192.168.1.0/24. 192.168.1.0 is network and
    > 192.168.1.255 broadcast. The IPs in between can be assigned to nodes on
    > your subnet.
    >
    > For Subnets, however, you wouldn't subtract the 2, it would be just 2^x.
    > In your example above it is 2^3 which does equal 8.
    >
    > If the question was asking for subnets you would not use -2 in your
    > equation.

    Why the 4377 would I ever want to do math? That's what calculators are for.

    function domath(x)
    domath = 2^x-2
    end function

    there. Now I have a calculator for it. I can put it in a text file and never
    use it. AND, as an added bonus, I can spend 10 hours looking for the file at
    some point in the future, because I know I figured this out somewhere
    before.

    MCSB

    PC LOAD LETTER, Feb 1, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RUVXYXNoaW5ndG9u?=

    LRM Guest

    "PC LOAD LETTER" <http://www.planetoftheheads.com/> wrote in message

    > "LRM" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> 2^x-2 is to determine host bits. So lets say you have a class C subnet
    >> mask, which gives you 8 bits for the hosts, the equation would work,
    >> 2^8-2 which is 254. The reason you subtract to 2 is that one is a network
    >> IP and one is a broadcast IP neither of which can be assigned to a host.
    >> So your subnet is lets say 192.168.1.0/24. 192.168.1.0 is network and
    >> 192.168.1.255 broadcast. The IPs in between can be assigned to nodes on
    >> your subnet.
    >>
    >> For Subnets, however, you wouldn't subtract the 2, it would be just 2^x.
    >> In your example above it is 2^3 which does equal 8.
    >>
    >> If the question was asking for subnets you would not use -2 in your
    >> equation.

    > Why the 4377 would I ever want to do math? That's what calculators are
    > for.

    Because math is the most fun you can have by yourself, well at least for me,
    I don't have an outy.

    > function domath(x)
    > domath = 2^x-2
    > end function
    >
    > there. Now I have a calculator for it. I can put it in a text file and
    > never use it. AND, as an added bonus, I can spend 10 hours looking for the
    > file at some point in the future, because I know I figured this out
    > somewhere before.
    >
    > MCSB

    You should be able to do the calc in your head, and not rely on a piece of
    code to do it for you.

    Please don't do math if it makes you angry. Continue the beautiful Interneil
    instead.

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2

    LRM, Feb 1, 2006
  5. "LRM" <> wrote in message

    > Because math is the most fun you can have by yourself, well at least for
    > me, I don't have an outy.

    Well, that ruins all of the myths guys ever have about girls. Waitaminute,
    don't girls have TWO outies?

    > You should be able to do the calc in your head, and not rely on a piece of
    > code to do it for you.

    What? Do things by myself? That's a horrible idea!

    > Please don't do math if it makes you angry. Continue the beautiful
    > Interneil instead.

    Breathing makes me angry. Thinking makes me angry. I can't stop thinking. I
    can't stop breathing, I can't avoid math. I'm in 4377. DAMMIT. This is
    making me angry.

    Well, maybe. Maybe I'll just teach the Interneil to do math for me.

    Actually, maybe the Interneil should learn math on it's own, because now
    that I've figured out that I have an outy, and you don't, why would I ever
    want to do anything related to the InterNeil?

    MCSB

    PC LOAD LETTER, Feb 1, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?RUVXYXNoaW5ndG9u?=

    > Breathing makes me angry. Thinking makes me angry. I can't stop thinking.
    > I can't stop breathing, I can't avoid math. I'm in 4377. DAMMIT. This is
    > making me angry.

    Ok, now that we've established a base line for your anger we need to
    determine your threshold for happiness.

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2

    LRM, Feb 1, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?RUVXYXNoaW5ndG9u?=

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jan 31, 2006 at 11:19pm "PC LOAD LETTER" blathered:

    > "LRM" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> 2^x-2 is to determine host bits. So lets say you have a class C subnet
    >> mask, which gives you 8 bits for the hosts, the equation would work,
    >> 2^8-2 which is 254. The reason you subtract to 2 is that one is a
    >> network IP and one is a broadcast IP neither of which can be assigned
    >> to a host. So your subnet is lets say 192.168.1.0/24. 192.168.1.0 is
    >> network and 192.168.1.255 broadcast. The IPs in between can be assigned
    >> to nodes on your subnet.
    >>
    >> For Subnets, however, you wouldn't subtract the 2, it would be just
    >> 2^x. In your example above it is 2^3 which does equal 8.
    >>
    >> If the question was asking for subnets you would not use -2 in your
    >> equation.

    > Why the 4377 would I ever want to do math? That's what calculators are
    > for.
    >
    > function domath(x)
    > domath = 2^x-2
    > end function
    >
    > there. Now I have a calculator for it. I can put it in a text file and
    > never use it. AND, as an added bonus, I can spend 10 hours looking for
    > the file at some point in the future, because I know I figured this out
    > somewhere before.
    >
    > MCSB

    YCMU

    --
    TGP MCNGP #100100

    mcngp.com is better than mcngp.co.uk with updates and a 99% uptime
    guarantee

    Choke me in the shallow water before I get too deep.

    TechGeekPro, Feb 1, 2006
  8. [snip]

    > Because math is the most fun you can have by yourself, well at least for me,
    > I don't have an outy.

    Since when do you need an outy to have fun by yourself LRM?

    [snip]

    > You should be able to do the calc in your head, and not rely on a piece of
    > code to do it for you.

    Precisely LRM. At least learn to do it in your head before you start to use a
    calc.

    > Please don't do math if it makes you angry. Continue the beautiful Interneil
    > instead.

    I love watching people get annoyed at math....it's fun to watch them pull their
    hair out.

    Robert Williams, Feb 1, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?RUVXYXNoaW5ndG9u?=

    LRM Guest

    "Robert Williams" <>
    wrote in message news:e%23SQ%...
    > [snip]
    >>
    >> Because math is the most fun you can have by yourself, well at least for
    >> me,
    >> I don't have an outy.
    >>

    > Since when do you need an outy to have fun by yourself LRM?

    I don't, but I am not as easily distracted by this sort of activity as say
    someone with an external object would be. I felt a caveat was necessary when
    I originally posted, because I couldn't proclaim that math would be more fun
    than something I am not completely familiar with. And I didn't want to speak
    for those who may find auto-outy activity more satisfying than math.
    I was being sensitive to outy-owners' needs as it were.

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2

    LRM, Feb 1, 2006
  10. > > Since when do you need an outy to have fun by yourself LRM?

    > I don't, but I am not as easily distracted by this sort of activity as say
    > someone with an external object would be.

    Yes, it does seem we "outy havers" get a little more distrated in times like
    this.

    > I felt a caveat was necessary when
    > I originally posted, because I couldn't proclaim that math would be more fun
    > than something I am not completely familiar with.

    Had no idea, I'm learning something new about you everyday LRM. If only I
    wasn't already engaged...

    > And I didn't want to speak
    > for those who may find auto-outy activity more satisfying than math.

    Unfortunately there are too many of us...I mean them

    > I was being sensitive to outy-owners' needs as it were.

    Sensitivity can be overrated at times

    Robert Williams, Feb 1, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?RUVXYXNoaW5ndG9u?=

    LRM Guest

    "Robert Williams" <>
    wrote in message news:...

    > Had no idea, I'm learning something new about you everyday LRM. If only I
    > wasn't already engaged...

    Strange, I've heard that before.

    > Sensitivity can be overrated at times

    True dat! I'll try not to let it happen too often.

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2

    LRM, Feb 1, 2006

  12. > > Had no idea, I'm learning something new about you everyday LRM. If only I
    > > wasn't already engaged...
    > >

    > Strange, I've heard that before.

    Stranger, I've said that before....

    > > Sensitivity can be overrated at times
    > >

    > True dat! I'll try not to let it happen too often.

    There's a time and a place for everything.

    Robert Williams, Feb 1, 2006
  13. "LRM" <> wrote in message
    > "PC LOAD LETTER" <http://www.planetoftheheads.com/> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Breathing makes me angry. Thinking makes me angry. I can't stop thinking.
    >> I can't stop breathing, I can't avoid math. I'm in 4377. DAMMIT. This is
    >> making me angry.
    >>

    > Ok, now that we've established a base line for your anger we need to
    > determine your threshold for happiness.

    Happiness makes me angry.

    PC LOAD LETTER, Feb 1, 2006
  14. "Robert Williams" <>
    wrote in message news:e%23SQ%...
    >> You should be able to do the calc in your head, and not rely on a piece
    >> of
    >> code to do it for you.
    >>

    > Precisely LRM. At least learn to do it in your head before you start to
    > use a
    > calc.

    No. I refuse to learn to do things in my head that a calculator can do for
    me. If this was all about "not relying on a piece of code to do things for
    you", then I suggest bringing your replies to me personally, because I might
    not get them if you rely on the 6 billion lines of code it took for you to
    receive this message in the first place. Either that, or do it in your head,
    by using telepathy. Thought so. I'll stick to making calculators.

    >> Please don't do math if it makes you angry. Continue the beautiful
    >> Interneil
    >> instead.
    >>

    > I love watching people get annoyed at math....it's fun to watch them pull
    > their
    > hair out.

    I like my hair. That's why I create calculators.

    PC LOAD LETTER, Feb 1, 2006
  15. >> Since when do you need an outy to have fun by yourself LRM?

    "LRM" <> wrote
    > I don't, but I am not as easily distracted by this sort of activity as say
    > someone with an external object would be.

    And that's the problem with the entire species... women don't have dynamic
    link libraries.

    I wrote a function to correct this

    public function fixwoman() as string
    Set objLRM = CreateObject("Gender.Confusion")
    Set objHermaphrodite = CreateObject("Gender.Plugin")
    objLRM.AddObject objHermaphrodite
    end function

    > I felt a caveat was necessary when I originally posted, because I couldn't
    > proclaim that math would be more fun than something I am not completely
    > familiar with.

    You'll do better with experience. I could train you. You have yet to become
    MCSB certified.

    > And I didn't want to speak for those who may find auto-outy activity more
    > satisfying than math.

    I wrote a calculator to take care of both activities, so i can watch more
    tv, and spend more time baking muffins.

    > I was being sensitive to outy-owners' needs as it were.

    We appreciate your sensitivity to our outy-ownership.

    MCSB

    PC LOAD LETTER, Feb 1, 2006

  16. > > Precisely LRM. At least learn to do it in your head before you start to
    > > use a
    > > calc.

    > No. I refuse to learn to do things in my head that a calculator can do for
    > me. If this was all about "not relying on a piece of code to do things for
    > you", then I suggest bringing your replies to me personally, because I might
    > not get them if you rely on the 6 billion lines of code it took for you to
    > receive this message in the first place. Either that, or do it in your head,
    > by using telepathy. Thought so. I'll stick to making calculators.

    Whoa dude, calm down. Think happy thought. No need to go postal on us.

    Robert Williams, Feb 1, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?RUVXYXNoaW5ndG9u?=

    LnkWizard Guest

    "Robert Williams" <>
    wrote in message news:%...

    > > > Precisely LRM. At least learn to do it in your head before you start

    > > > use a
    > > > calc.

    > > No. I refuse to learn to do things in my head that a calculator can do

    for
    > > me. If this was all about "not relying on a piece of code to do things

    for
    > > you", then I suggest bringing your replies to me personally, because I

    might
    > > not get them if you rely on the 6 billion lines of code it took for you

    > > receive this message in the first place. Either that, or do it in your

    head,
    > > by using telepathy. Thought so. I'll stick to making calculators.
    > >

    > Whoa dude, calm down. Think happy thought. No need to go postal on us.

    What do you mean postal? This is a mild response.

    Lnkwizard2 MCNGP 2^5

    http://www.mcngp.com

    LnkWizard, Feb 1, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?RUVXYXNoaW5ndG9u?=

    Frisbee® Guest

    "Robert Williams" <>
    wrote in message news:%...

    >> > Precisely LRM. At least learn to do it in your head before you start
    >> > use a
    >> > calc.

    >> No. I refuse to learn to do things in my head that a calculator can do
    >> for
    >> me. If this was all about "not relying on a piece of code to do things
    >> for
    >> you", then I suggest bringing your replies to me personally, because I
    >> might
    >> not get them if you rely on the 6 billion lines of code it took for you
    >> receive this message in the first place. Either that, or do it in your
    >> head,
    >> by using telepathy. Thought so. I'll stick to making calculators.
    >>

    > Whoa dude, calm down. Think happy thought. No need to go postal on us.

    Rob, meet Rob.

    Rob, meet Rob.

    Frisbee®, Feb 1, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?RUVXYXNoaW5ndG9u?=