Subnetting & Exam 70-216

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Paul, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I have been learning subnetting using material from my
    MCSE books. This book states that when determining the
    valid subnets you should not use the all 1's or all 0's.

    However, I have been looking at Microsoft's Technet site
    and they stated that this is now a dated idea, so long as
    your routers use CIDR

    I am planning to take my exam in the next week and I'm now
    in the delima of do I use the all 1's and 0's network id
    when calculating the subnetted network ids

    For those interested, here is the link to MS Technet where
    I found the information

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?
    url=/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/tcpip/part1
    /tcpch01.asp

    Do a search for RFC 1812, located just above Step 3:
    Enumerating IP Addresses for Each Subnet

    Anyone out there have any advice regarding which way I
    should go?

    Thanks

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Paul

    Japes Guest

    For the amount of subnetting questions your likely to actually get on the
    test, I wouldn't worry about it. Bare in mind if its pertinent to the answer
    something will have likely been said in the statement/question.

    --
    Regards

    Japes

    Have you found any Celestine Insights in your life yet?

    ---
    This email was virus checked before sending and none were found.

    Japes, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Paul

    Guest Guest

    Example : if you have an ID Address 192.168.117.110/24
    It means your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

    Because number 24 means in binary

    11111111 11111111 11111111 00000000 so you must have (24)
    of (1) in your subnet mask

    Count the subnet mask

    But be careful about some exceptions

    Also , you must learn about how to supernet

    Try to connect to theses websites

    www.howtosubnet.com

    Guest, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Paul

    Jose Guest

    I passed 216 yesterday...did not get any subnetting questions

    Jose, Nov 26, 2003
  5. Paul

    Guest Guest

    Thanks to everyone for your feedback on this subject

    I was going to take the exam on Saturday, however, this
    Saturday is all booked out, so I have brought the exam
    forward a day to Friday

    Fingers Crossed!

    Guest, Nov 27, 2003
  6. Paul