Subnet masks and VPN Client...

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jonas Hamre, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. Jonas Hamre

    Jonas Hamre Guest

    Hi,

    I have seen some variations over this theme, but nothing that can help
    me directly with this:

    My Cisco 2611XM runs IOS v12.3(20), C2600-ADVSECURITYK9-M, and has a
    VPN module installed. I want to use the Cisco VPN Client v4.8.01.0300
    towards it, and have assigned a part of my private (inside) subnet as
    an address pool. However, I am running into the usual problem: My
    computer running VPN client receives an adress as it should, but the
    subnet mask is 255.0.0.0 (because my inside subnet uses 10.x.x.x
    adressing). This is fine for reaching the subnet itself, but I have
    several other 10.x.x.x subnets inside my router, and really would like
    to assign the proper mask 255.255.255.0 to the connected computer.
    (Also, I don't want to assign a 192.168.x.x range for the VPN client
    pool if I can help it, it breaks my addressing scheme...)

    I used this page to help configuring the router:

    http://cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod...s_configuration_example09186a00806ad10e.shtml

    (may require a CCO account). Picture 10 shows where to input the
    subnet mask for sending to the client. Mine doesn't have this option.
    Likewise, the command listing further down on the page includes this
    passage:

    crypto isakmp client configuration group vpn
    !--- Defines the pre-shared key as sdmsdm.
    key sdmsdm
    pool SDM_POOL_1
    netmask 255.255.255.0

    This "netmask" command isn't available on my router. So the question
    then is:

    Do I have the wrong IOS image?
    OR
    Is this option available only on a 36xx router (for which the article
    was written)?
    OR
    Is there something else I need to enable/disable in my config first?
    (The "ip classless" command sprang to mind, but didn't help...)

    Thanks, Jonas

    Jonas Hamre, Nov 2, 2006