Subinterfaces on Cisco 1720

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by KJ, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. KJ

    KJ Guest

    First question:
    Is it possible to set up sub interfaces and vlans on a cisco 1720
    router with just one fast ethernet port?

    If not then that solves everything.

    If so this is my problem.
    I have a Cisco 1720 with the built in fast ethernet port along with a
    T1 card that is not being used.

    I want to set up fa0 with sub interfaces such as
    fa0.1 = vlan1
    fa0.10 = vlan10
    fa0.20 = vlan20

    however whenever I try to put in the ip address of the sub interface I
    get this message
    % Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only allowed if that
    subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE 802.10, IEEE
    802.1Q,
    or ISL vLAN.

    whenever I try to put in encapsulation it just errors out since there
    are no options for encapsulation. I know I need to set encapsulation
    to dot1q but its not an option.

    I cannot create a vlan database either.

    I am guessing that either its not possible with the 1700 or not
    possible with just 1 nic or most likely I am just too dumb to do it.

    Im going with option #3 at this point.

    Oh ya my IOS version is 12.3(12) perhaps its wrong too.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    KJ
    KJ, Dec 3, 2004

  2. (KJ) writes:
    >Is it possible to set up sub interfaces and vlans on a cisco 1720
    >router with just one fast ethernet port?

    Yes.

    >whenever I try to put in encapsulation it just errors out since there
    >are no options for encapsulation. I know I need to set encapsulation
    >to dot1q but its not an option.

    You need to run at least an IP+ image on your router to do VLAN trunking.

    >I cannot create a vlan database either.

    Thats for switches, not routers.

    >Oh ya my IOS version is 12.3(12) perhaps its wrong too.

    Version isn't as important as feature set. 12.3(12) would certainly be
    recent enough, but IP + is also needed.
    Doug McIntyre, Dec 4, 2004