Subcompact camera recommendatio - Minolta Dimage Xt, Casio Exilim EX-Z3, or Pentax Optio S?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter Larsson, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I have been researching the Internet for several days now, trying to decide
    which pocket-size digital camera to buy, but I haven't been able to find any
    really good recommendations. The three that I am currently trying to choose
    between are:

    - Minolta Dimage Xt
    - Casio Exilim EX-Z3
    - Pentax Optio S

    Size is an important factor, but I also do care about the image quality and
    any general features. The price is of course also important, but I am
    willing to pay a little more for better quality if needed. 3 megapixels
    should be enough since I very rarely will print the pictures, but I mainly
    want to have a small camera so that I can bring it with me wherever I go.

    I would really appreciate any comments, experiences, and I'm open to other
    camera suggestions as well if you've used one that you really like.

    Thank you in advance,

    Peter Larsson

    Peter Larsson, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Peter Larsson

    Andy Turner Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:00:10 -0800, "Peter Larsson"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have been researching the Internet for several days now, trying to decide
    >which pocket-size digital camera to buy, but I haven't been able to find any
    >really good recommendations. The three that I am currently trying to choose
    >between are:
    >
    >- Minolta Dimage Xt
    >- Casio Exilim EX-Z3
    >- Pentax Optio S
    >
    >Size is an important factor, but I also do care about the image quality and
    >any general features. The price is of course also important, but I am
    >willing to pay a little more for better quality if needed. 3 megapixels
    >should be enough since I very rarely will print the pictures, but I mainly
    >want to have a small camera so that I can bring it with me wherever I go.
    >
    >I would really appreciate any comments, experiences, and I'm open to other
    >camera suggestions as well if you've used one that you really like.

    My girlfriend has the Z3, my mate has the Optio S. My mate wishes he'd
    got the Z3.

    andyt

    Andy Turner, Feb 15, 2004

  3. "Andy Turner" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:00:10 -0800, "Peter Larsson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I have been researching the Internet for several days now, trying to

    decide
    > >which pocket-size digital camera to buy, but I haven't been able to find

    any
    > >really good recommendations. The three that I am currently trying to

    choose
    > >between are:
    > >
    > >- Minolta Dimage Xt
    > >- Casio Exilim EX-Z3
    > >- Pentax Optio S
    > >

    > My girlfriend has the Z3, my mate has the Optio S. My mate wishes he'd
    > got the Z3.

    Thanks Andy!

    Any particular reason why he'd rather have the Z3?

    // Peter

    Peter Larsson, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Peter Larsson

    Andy Turner Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 21:14:55 -0800, "Peter Larsson"
    <> wrote:

    >"Andy Turner" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:00:10 -0800, "Peter Larsson"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >I have been researching the Internet for several days now, trying to

    >decide
    >> >which pocket-size digital camera to buy, but I haven't been able to find

    >any
    >> >really good recommendations. The three that I am currently trying to

    >choose
    >> >between are:
    >> >
    >> >- Minolta Dimage Xt
    >> >- Casio Exilim EX-Z3
    >> >- Pentax Optio S
    >> >

    >> My girlfriend has the Z3, my mate has the Optio S. My mate wishes he'd
    >> got the Z3.
    >>

    >Thanks Andy!
    >
    >Any particular reason why he'd rather have the Z3?

    It feels better in the hand, the screen on the back is much better and
    the buttons on the back are *much* less fiddly. I'd also suggest that
    the UI is better on the Z3 too, but perhaps that's because I've used
    it that much more. It's the same CCD and lens so one assumes that the
    photos themselves are very similar. The only thing missing from the Z3
    is a TV out, which isn't a concern to us anyway.

    Since you mention the Xt (is that the one with the internal zoom with
    mirrors trick?), then you might also be interested in the new Sony
    DSC-T1, which employs a similar trick and has a screen even bigger
    than the Z3.

    andyt

    Andy Turner, Feb 16, 2004
  5. I got the XT upon recommendation of a ski patroller friend of mine who is
    also a pro photographer who at the time had been working in a camera store
    for over 20 years. He could have had pick of the litter so to speak and he
    had the XT's predecessor last April on a ski trip we were on. When we got
    back, the XT came out and he got that. I checked it out, saw some of the
    photos he took, so I got one too. I also got the underwater housing for it
    as well--this makes it totally wx proof, and really protects the camera,
    however, it makes the size pretty large--like my Olympus C700UZ--but you can
    uses every single function of the camera with the housing! (They even make
    way-cool slave flashes for this!) BTW--since getting the XT, I hardly ever
    use my C700UZ except where I know I will need the zoom or big flash (I have
    the FL-40 flash for that camera).

    My XT is with me always--either in my pocket in a little velvet bag I found,
    or a Tamrac Digital Series belt case, that also works well on hydro pack and
    back pack straps and suspenders. It is truly a "go anywhere" camera.

    Pro--off to photo taking in about a second. No lens cap to lose--automatic
    built in. It is very small and flat--carries well in pocket. Only carry it
    in a buttoned shirt pocket, or tether it with a neck lanyard. It takes SD
    cards (it comes with a 16mb, I bought a 128 and 256--the 16 and and 128 are
    now used with my Palm and the 256 stays in the camera). On a 256 card, at
    highest quality and largest file setting--about 154 shots are possible. It
    has a built in email mode--you can save a photo in email size--cool! The
    battery lasts a long time. I bought a second one and hardly ever use it.
    You can record voice memos and take movies with sound, ltd by the size of
    the card and your battery capacity. No lens to protrude, retract are wait
    on. It is small and doesn't even look like a camera! The continuous
    shooting mode works pretty fast, even on largest, finest file mode. 3x
    optical, 4x digital zoom. You can manually choose ISO settings 50, 100, 200
    and 400, but AUTO only goes up to like 180 or something like that. The
    camera can be easily operated with your right hand alone--just pull it out
    of your pocket as you are turning it on, point, shoot, shut off and stick in
    your pocket--smooth! Battery can charge in the camera--just set it in a the
    stand/charger, or take the battery out and charge it while you use another.
    Wrist strap, USB cable and TV cable included. External DC option to use as
    a web cam (never done that). Lots more I won't go into here.

    Cons--Not much here--it is small in the hand and difficult to use with
    gloves on, especially winter gloves. Thin Mechanix type gloves are OK. The
    strap has a plastic thing on it that can scratch the display--I put a piece
    of clear tape over mine anyway--always do on my cameras. The Lion battery
    doesn't last long when the camera gets cold (most don't anyway)--but the XT
    is small and easily carried in your warm pocket until needed. Plastic
    tripod socket. No remote. You must reactivate self timer each shot. AUTO
    ISO doesn't use the full spectrum. The flash is lame--good only for stuff
    close out to about 10 feet MAX--but it is OK for fill on faces outside, up
    close, and basic party shots. Lens and flash can be easily covered with
    your finger, but you'll learn not to! The OK or "enter" button can be
    finicky at times. It did not come with a neck lanyard, only a wrist
    lanyard, but a shoestring fixes that. You must take the lanyard off to use
    the UW housing. No case included--but the Tamrac was like $8.00.

    For what this camera can do given its size, it is amazing. I would buy this
    again without hesitation even with the above cons--they just don't amount to
    much that can't be lived with or easily overcome, or adapted.
    --
    Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD

    Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD, Feb 16, 2004
  6. Peter Larsson

    Frank ess Guest

    Dimmige Xi - Xt, comparison photos and albums of examples:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/BC32073BD1DA91E
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/B51CA34810BA0D1

    Frank ess, Feb 16, 2004