sub interfaces and vlans

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by PES, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. PES

    PES Guest

    "slipstream_242" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya all.
    >
    > I`m trying to configure sub interfaces on my router but it doesn't seem to
    > want to know. I think I know what the problem is but would like to know if

    > am right or not.
    >
    > can sub interfaces only be created on fastethernet ports? I have tried

    this
    > on a 2503 and a 2610 and get a message saying that ip routing is only
    > allowed when configuring a sub interface as part of vlan configuration.
    >
    > The ICND book I am working from shows the interface as fastethernet but

    the
    > ones on both of my routers are normal Ethernet and not fastethernet
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Gordon

    Some 10mb ethernet interfaces do provide support for 802.1q. I do not think
    the 2503 supports this. However I do believe that the 2610 with a > 12.2T
    IP Plus IOS will support this. You will need to change the encapsulation to
    802.1q to allow you to create and use sub interfaces.
    PES, Aug 1, 2004

  2. PES

    Steinar Haug Guest

    ["slipstream_242"]

    | can sub interfaces only be created on fastethernet ports?

    No, there are a *few* Cisco routers which can create 802.1q subinterfaces
    on 10 Mbps Ethernet ports. 2503 is not one of them, probably not 2610
    either.

    | I have tried this
    | on a 2503 and a 2610 and get a message saying that ip routing is only
    | allowed when configuring a sub interface as part of vlan configuration.

    Yes, it means you need "encapsulation dot1q <vlan-id>" before you can
    configure IP routing on the subinterface.

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,
    Steinar Haug, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Hiya all.

    I`m trying to configure sub interfaces on my router but it doesn't seem to
    want to know. I think I know what the problem is but would like to know if I

    slipstream_242, Aug 1, 2004
  4. PES

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > No, there are a *few* Cisco routers which can create 802.1q subinterfaces
    > on 10 Mbps Ethernet ports. 2503 is not one of them, probably not 2610
    > either.

    2610's can do it just fine.

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Aug 2, 2004
  5. "slipstream_242" <> writes:
    >there must be some sort of IOS revision required, on my 2610 which has
    >12.2(5d) the only e command under the sub interface is exit.

    IIRC, you need a + image, as well as being new enough. I think you
    probably need a T train image in the 12.2 line for it.

    >"Hansang Bae" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, says...
    >> > No, there are a *few* Cisco routers which can create 802.1q

    >subinterfaces
    >> > on 10 Mbps Ethernet ports. 2503 is not one of them, probably not 2610
    >> > either.

    >> 2610's can do it just fine.
    >>

    >> hsb
    >>
    >> "Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding" Calvin
    >> *************** USE ROT13 TO SEE MY EMAIL ADDRESS ****************
    >> Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not not be able to
    >> reply to emails sent to my account. Please post a followup instead.

    Doug McIntyre
    Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades
    Vector Internet Services, Inc.
    Doug McIntyre, Aug 2, 2004
  6. there must be some sort of IOS revision required, on my 2610 which has

    slipstream_242, Aug 2, 2004
  7. PES

    Les Mikesell Guest

    "Doug McIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > "slipstream_242" <> writes:
    > >there must be some sort of IOS revision required, on my 2610 which has
    > >12.2(5d) the only e command under the sub interface is exit.

    > IIRC, you need a + image, as well as being new enough. I think you
    > probably need a T train image in the 12.2 line for it.

    I thought you needed a 100M interface, but perhaps this is IOS dependent.

    ---
    Les Mikesell
    Les Mikesell, Aug 9, 2004
  8. PES

    PES Guest

    > I thought you needed a 100M interface, but perhaps this is IOS dependent.

    Some 10mb int can support it.
    PES, Aug 10, 2004