sub $300 vid cards

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Vincent Vega, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. Vincent Vega

    Vincent Vega Guest

    I'm going to upgrade my PC - new MB, CPU and graphics card. I've settled on
    an Nvidia NForce 4 motherboard and Athlon 64 3000+ CPU.

    I have about $300 left to spend on a PCI-E graphics card. It seems from the
    research I've done that the 6600GT 256MB cards probably deliver the best
    bang for the buck in the sub $300 category. I'm looking at something that
    will handle current-gen games quite nicely e.g. Far Cry, Half Life 2, Doom
    3.

    Are there better cards in my price range I should be looking at?

    This is the one I have my eye on ...
    Legend GeForce 6600GT PCI-E 256MB VCL004
    $287.70

    Any comments on the Legend brand? What about the chipset compared to a
    similar priced ATI chipset card?

    Thanks in advance.

    Vincent Vega, Oct 26, 2005

  2. Vincent Vega

    Ross Guest

    On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:45:33 +1300, "Vincent Vega" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm going to upgrade my PC - new MB, CPU and graphics card. I've settled on
    >an Nvidia NForce 4 motherboard and Athlon 64 3000+ CPU.
    >
    >I have about $300 left to spend on a PCI-E graphics card. It seems from the
    >research I've done that the 6600GT 256MB cards probably deliver the best
    >bang for the buck in the sub $300 category. I'm looking at something that
    >will handle current-gen games quite nicely e.g. Far Cry, Half Life 2, Doom
    >3.
    >
    >Are there better cards in my price range I should be looking at?
    >
    >This is the one I have my eye on ...
    >Legend GeForce 6600GT PCI-E 256MB VCL004
    >$287.70
    >
    >Any comments on the Legend brand? What about the chipset compared to a
    >similar priced ATI chipset card?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    I've just got an Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice core). A reviewer overclocked
    one to 4400+ without additional cooling. This is the most bang per
    buck CPU since the Celeron 300A.

    Ross, Oct 26, 2005

  3. Vincent Vega

    XP Guest

    On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:45:33 +1300, "Vincent Vega" <> wrote:

    >I'm going to upgrade my PC - new MB, CPU and graphics card. I've settled on
    >an Nvidia NForce 4 motherboard and Athlon 64 3000+ CPU.
    >
    >I have about $300 left to spend on a PCI-E graphics card. It seems from the
    >research I've done that the 6600GT 256MB cards probably deliver the best
    >bang for the buck in the sub $300 category. I'm looking at something that
    >will handle current-gen games quite nicely e.g. Far Cry, Half Life 2, Doom
    >3.
    >
    >Are there better cards in my price range I should be looking at?
    >
    >This is the one I have my eye on ...
    >Legend GeForce 6600GT PCI-E 256MB VCL004
    >$287.70

    Seems to be Crap brand made for New Zealand..

    >Any comments on the Legend brand? What about the chipset compared to a
    >similar priced ATI chipset card?

    ATI can't compete with the 6600GT for price and performance

    XP, Oct 26, 2005
  4. Vincent Vega

    Hank Guest

    I've got a Legend 6600GT AGP and its great. No issues. Runs all current
    games including F.E.A.R with most eye candy on max without any issues.
    Great card for the price.

    Hank, Oct 26, 2005
  5. Vincent Vega

    Daniel Guest

    Vincent Vega wrote:

    > I have about $300 left to spend on a PCI-E graphics card. It seems from the
    > research I've done that the 6600GT 256MB cards probably deliver the best
    > bang for the buck in the sub $300 category. I'm looking at something that
    > will handle current-gen games quite nicely e.g. Far Cry, Half Life 2, Doom
    > 3.

    Legend X800
    * 256MB 256-bit DDR3, *12* pixel pipelines

    This card has kind of slipped under the radar a little, but, would be my
    pick for best-for-bang in the $300(ish) range.

    I suggest you check the overclockers.co.nz, and other forums for more
    info about this card. Indications are that stock memory speed is 900MHz,
    instead of the reference spec of 700MHz.

    XP Computers have them, Dragon PC used to have them (you could ask).
    Some crowd called modster-pc also have them.

    The price is about $300-$310 (including GST & shipping), but, I'd
    certainly recommend it over a 6600GT (especially with the 900MHz memory).

    > Any comments on the Legend brand? What about the chipset compared to a
    > similar priced ATI chipset card?

    I've heard Legend are good. Apparently, they're cheap because the cards
    are effectively sold as OEM products (I think that's what the reseller
    said) - no flashy packaging or game bundles etc.

    Daniel, Oct 26, 2005
  6. Vincent Vega

    thingy Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:45:33 +1300, "Vincent Vega" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm going to upgrade my PC - new MB, CPU and graphics card. I've settled on
    >>an Nvidia NForce 4 motherboard and Athlon 64 3000+ CPU.
    >>
    >>I have about $300 left to spend on a PCI-E graphics card. It seems from the
    >>research I've done that the 6600GT 256MB cards probably deliver the best
    >>bang for the buck in the sub $300 category. I'm looking at something that
    >>will handle current-gen games quite nicely e.g. Far Cry, Half Life 2, Doom
    >>3.
    >>
    >>Are there better cards in my price range I should be looking at?
    >>
    >>This is the one I have my eye on ...
    >>Legend GeForce 6600GT PCI-E 256MB VCL004
    >>$287.70

    A strong contender in that price range me thinks. You can get more
    powerful but the price jump is huge and the gains questionable unless
    you are a die hard gamer.

    The other alternative is to carefully think about whether you really
    need 256meg of ram on that graphics card, I decided on 128 but with the
    6600GT GPU, thats around $219.

    The money saved might get you the next fastest AMD CPU or a better
    GPU....bit of a balancing act.....

    eg I dont know if you can get a 6800 with 128meg of ram circa $300...

    > Seems to be Crap brand made for New Zealand..

    "seems to be"

    Proof?

    I have looked at some reviews and so far all have been positive, the
    worst comment has been fan seems a little noisey.

    My biggest concern is adequate cooling of sub-components as you
    mentioned in earlier posts, they do come with a 3 year warrantee though
    suggesting someone has confidence in their product, if it was 6 month,
    I'd run a mile.

    eg

    http://www.cbcnz.com/product_info.php/products_id/5484?osCsid=3272ecbedeced48bd28c1c15c20b8cdf

    gives a 3 year warrantee....

    >>Any comments on the Legend brand? What about the chipset compared to a
    >>similar priced ATI chipset card?

    > ATI can't compete with the 6600GT for price and performance

    I agree, I looked at ATI and the 9600 series was described as little
    better than my 4200ti,

    Tomshardare showed the 6600GT a good performer giving a decent
    performance boost over the 9600 for little more $.

    This is a good page showing the relative performance between cards.

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/vga-charts-pcie-02.html

    After reading a bit I decided an AGP 6600GT with 128 meg ram fitted the
    bill nicely......fast enough to be an improvement over my failed card,
    fast enough to play newer games ie directx9 but priced at my spending
    limit (below $250).

    In the new year a new motherboard and pci-express setup (hopefully
    anyway) the athlon 4400 x 2 looks best bang for the $ when the biz is
    audio and video compression work....

    >>Thanks in advance.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 26, 2005
  7. Vincent Vega

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > Vincent Vega wrote:
    >

    >> I have about $300 left to spend on a PCI-E graphics card. It seems
    >> from the research I've done that the 6600GT 256MB cards probably
    >> deliver the best bang for the buck in the sub $300 category. I'm
    >> looking at something that will handle current-gen games quite nicely
    >> e.g. Far Cry, Half Life 2, Doom 3.
    >>

    > Legend X800
    > * 256MB 256-bit DDR3, *12* pixel pipelines

    Looks like those babies are out-of-stock now. But, I could be wrong,
    might still be worth checking to see if they're able to source
    whatever's left in Australia?

    Shame, nice deal (for the price) while it was running.

    In that case, the 6600GT would be my next choice as well.

    Daniel, Oct 26, 2005
  8. Vincent Vega

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:23:03 +1300, Daniel <> wrote:

    >Vincent Vega wrote:
    >>
    >> I have about $300 left to spend on a PCI-E graphics card. It seems from the
    >> research I've done that the 6600GT 256MB cards probably deliver the best
    >> bang for the buck in the sub $300 category. I'm looking at something that
    >> will handle current-gen games quite nicely e.g. Far Cry, Half Life 2, Doom
    >> 3.
    >>

    >Legend X800
    >* 256MB 256-bit DDR3, *12* pixel pipelines
    >
    >This card has kind of slipped under the radar a little, but, would be my
    >pick for best-for-bang in the $300(ish) range.

    The 6600GT leaves it for dead..

    >I suggest you check the overclockers.co.nz, and other forums for more
    >info about this card. Indications are that stock memory speed is 900MHz,
    >instead of the reference spec of 700MHz.
    >
    >XP Computers have them, Dragon PC used to have them (you could ask).
    >Some crowd called modster-pc also have them.
    >
    >The price is about $300-$310 (including GST & shipping), but, I'd
    >certainly recommend it over a 6600GT (especially with the 900MHz memory).
    >

    >> Any comments on the Legend brand? What about the chipset compared to a
    >> similar priced ATI chipset card?
    >>

    >I've heard Legend are good. Apparently, they're cheap because the cards
    >are effectively sold as OEM products (I think that's what the reseller
    >said) - no flashy packaging or game bundles etc.

    Legend is a Crap NZ brand..

    XP, Oct 27, 2005
  9. Vincent Vega

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:49:31 +1300, thingy <> wrote:

> [...]

    >>>similar priced ATI chipset card?

    >> ATI can't compete with the 6600GT for price and performance

    >I agree, I looked at ATI and the 9600 series was described as little
    >better than my 4200ti,
    >
    >Tomshardare showed the 6600GT a good performer giving a decent
    >performance boost over the 9600 for little more $.
    >
    >This is a good page showing the relative performance between cards.
    >
    >http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/vga-charts-pcie-02.html
    >
    >After reading a bit I decided an AGP 6600GT with 128 meg ram fitted the
    >bill nicely......fast enough to be an improvement over my failed card,
    >fast enough to play newer games ie directx9 but priced at my spending
    >limit (below $250).
    >
    >In the new year a new motherboard and pci-express setup (hopefully
    >anyway) the athlon 4400 x 2 looks best bang for the $ when the biz is

    I tried to one of the latest games with all the option on, it forced me too
    go 800x600 , with High Detail on, if I wish to go higher I needed 500megs of
    Video ram..

    XP, Oct 27, 2005
  10. Vincent Vega

    MarkH Guest

    XP <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:23:03 +1300, Daniel <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Vincent Vega wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I have about $300 left to spend on a PCI-E graphics card. It seems
    >>> from the research I've done that the 6600GT 256MB cards probably
    >>> deliver the best bang for the buck in the sub $300 category. I'm
    >>> looking at something that will handle current-gen games quite nicely
    >>> e.g. Far Cry, Half Life 2, Doom 3.
    >>>

    >>Legend X800
    >>* 256MB 256-bit DDR3, *12* pixel pipelines
    >>
    >>This card has kind of slipped under the radar a little, but, would be
    >>my pick for best-for-bang in the $300(ish) range.

    > The 6600GT leaves it for dead..

    In what sense? The X800 would have a higher perfomance, so I can't see
    how anyone with any brains could suggest it would be left for dead.

    Or do you simply mean that YOU have a 6600GT and until you replace it
    you are not going to accept that there is anything better, regardless of
    any evidence at all.

    The X700 would be a closer match to the 6600GT for performance.

    >>I suggest you check the overclockers.co.nz, and other forums for more
    >>info about this card. Indications are that stock memory speed is
    >>900MHz, instead of the reference spec of 700MHz.
    >>
    >>XP Computers have them, Dragon PC used to have them (you could ask).
    >>Some crowd called modster-pc also have them.
    >>
    >>The price is about $300-$310 (including GST & shipping), but, I'd
    >>certainly recommend it over a 6600GT (especially with the 900MHz
    >>memory).
    >>

    >>> Any comments on the Legend brand? What about the chipset compared to
    >>> a similar priced ATI chipset card?
    >>>

    >>I've heard Legend are good. Apparently, they're cheap because the
    >>cards are effectively sold as OEM products (I think that's what the
    >>reseller said) - no flashy packaging or game bundles etc.

    > Legend is a Crap NZ brand..

    Legend describe themselves as an Australian company.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 27, 2005
  11. Vincent Vega

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:49:31 +1300, thingy <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:
    >> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:45:33 +1300, "Vincent Vega" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm going to upgrade my PC - new MB, CPU and graphics card. I've settled on
    >>>an Nvidia NForce 4 motherboard and Athlon 64 3000+ CPU.
    >>>
    >>>I have about $300 left to spend on a PCI-E graphics card. It seems from the
    >>>research I've done that the 6600GT 256MB cards probably deliver the best
    >>>bang for the buck in the sub $300 category. I'm looking at something that
    >>>will handle current-gen games quite nicely e.g. Far Cry, Half Life 2, Doom
    >>>3.
    >>>
    >>>Are there better cards in my price range I should be looking at?
    >>>
    >>>This is the one I have my eye on ...
    >>>Legend GeForce 6600GT PCI-E 256MB VCL004
    >>>$287.70

    >A strong contender in that price range me thinks. You can get more
    >powerful but the price jump is huge and the gains questionable unless
    >you are a die hard gamer.
    >
    >The other alternative is to carefully think about whether you really
    >need 256meg of ram on that graphics card, I decided on 128 but with the
    >6600GT GPU, thats around $219.
    >
    >The money saved might get you the next fastest AMD CPU or a better
    >GPU....bit of a balancing act.....
    >
    >eg I dont know if you can get a 6800 with 128meg of ram circa $300...
    >
    >> Seems to be Crap brand made for New Zealand..

    >"seems to be"
    >
    >Proof?

    Do a Google search

    >I have looked at some reviews and so far all have been positive, the
    >worst comment has been fan seems a little noisey.
    >
    >My biggest concern is adequate cooling of sub-components as you
    >mentioned in earlier posts, they do come with a 3 year warrantee though
    >suggesting someone has confidence in their product, if it was 6 month,
    >I'd run a mile.
    >
    >eg

    Only required on the AGP version, does not affect the PCI-E ones

    XP, Oct 27, 2005
  12. Vincent Vega

    EMB Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:49:31 +1300, thingy <> wrote:
    >>XP wrote:
    >>
    >>>Seems to be Crap brand made for New Zealand..

    >>"seems to be"
    >>
    >>Proof?

    > Do a Google search

    Right.... Hit number 2 is 'Legend Corporation' at
    http://www.legendmemory.com

    Their 'Contact Us' page gives office details in:

    Australia - 6 offices
    NZ
    Hong Kong
    Thailand
    Singapore
    Taiwan
    South Africa
    Europe
    Indonesia

    Doesn't look much like a crap NZ company/brand to me. On their
    certifications page they have product endorsements from Dell and Acer.
    I'm not sure either of these endorsements screams 'CRAP' either.

    And.. I can't find anything knocking them. That said I can't find any
    clock speed specs either.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 27, 2005
  13. Vincent Vega

    thingy Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:49:31 +1300, thingy <> wrote:
    >

    >>XP wrote:

    >>A strong contender in that price range me thinks. You can get more
    >>powerful but the price jump is huge and the gains questionable unless
    >>you are a die hard gamer.
    >>
    >>The other alternative is to carefully think about whether you really
    >>need 256meg of ram on that graphics card, I decided on 128 but with the
    >>6600GT GPU, thats around $219.
    >>
    >>The money saved might get you the next fastest AMD CPU or a better
    >>GPU....bit of a balancing act.....
    >>
    >>eg I dont know if you can get a 6800 with 128meg of ram circa $300...
    >>

    >>>Seems to be Crap brand made for New Zealand..

    >>"seems to be"
    >>
    >>Proof?
    >>
    >>I have looked at some reviews and so far all have been positive, the
    >>worst comment has been fan seems a little noisey.
    >>
    >>My biggest concern is adequate cooling of sub-components as you
    >>mentioned in earlier posts, they do come with a 3 year warrantee though
    >>suggesting someone has confidence in their product, if it was 6 month,
    >>I'd run a mile.
    >>
    >>eg
    >>
    >>http://www.cbcnz.com/product_info.php/products_id/5484?osCsid=3272ecbedeced48bd28c1c15c20b8cdf
    >>
    >>gives a 3 year warrantee....

    >>>ATI can't compete with the 6600GT for price and performance

    >>I agree, I looked at ATI and the 9600 series was described as little
    >>better than my 4200ti,
    >>
    >>Tomshardare showed the 6600GT a good performer giving a decent
    >>performance boost over the 9600 for little more $.
    >>
    >>This is a good page showing the relative performance between cards.
    >>
    >>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/vga-charts-pcie-02.html
    >>
    >>After reading a bit I decided an AGP 6600GT with 128 meg ram fitted the
    >>bill nicely......fast enough to be an improvement over my failed card,
    >>fast enough to play newer games ie directx9 but priced at my spending
    >>limit (below $250).
    >>
    >>In the new year a new motherboard and pci-express setup (hopefully
    >>anyway) the athlon 4400 x 2 looks best bang for the $ when the biz is
    >>audio and video compression work....

    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    > I tried to one of the latest games with all the option on, it forced me too
    > go 800x600 , with High Detail on, if I wish to go higher I needed 500megs of
    > Video ram..

    Interesting as most cards only come with 256.

    but horses for courses, my 4200ti only had 64 and was mostly good
    enough....so I have doubled the ram and a better gpu and all for $250
    which is $150 cheaper than the 4200ti was.

    As an intrim solution until I move to pci-express it suits me ideally.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 28, 2005
  14. Vincent Vega

    ~misfit~ Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Legend describe themselves as an Australian company.

    Holy Mother of God! Don't deal with them then. ;-)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 28, 2005
  15. Vincent Vega

    Not Dave Guest

    On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:45:33 +1300, "Vincent Vega" <>
    growled these words from under a rock:

    >Any comments on the Legend brand? What about the chipset compared to a
    >similar priced ATI chipset card?

    Legend are a "cheap" brand, and you will most likely be disappointed
    by the performance of the card.

    The NZ guys are great, though. But, of course, that doesn't make your
    video card run any faster...

    Not Dave, Oct 28, 2005