    focusing sharply on objects a few inches from the lens? Or do they all
    have about the same close-range focus capability (or lack thereof) in
    that price range?

    toronado455, Nov 8, 2006

  2. toronado455

    tomm42 Guest

    On Nov 8, 1:18 am, "toronado455" <> wrote:
    > Is there any $200 or less digital camera that is particularly good at
    > focusing sharply on objects a few inches from the lens? Or do they all
    > have about the same close-range focus capability (or lack thereof) in
    > that price range?

    If you don't mind 2nd hand, you can get a Nikon 995 or 4500 for that
    price, 3.3 and 4mp. About as high quality camera as P&S camera get.
    Both have excellent close focusing properties.

    Tom

    tomm42, Nov 8, 2006

  3. toronado455

    bugbear Guest

    toronado455 wrote:
    > Is there any $200 or less digital camera that is particularly good at
    > focusing sharply on objects a few inches from the lens? Or do they all
    > have about the same close-range focus capability (or lack thereof) in
    > that price range?

    Well, there are lots.

    A quick wander round dpreview's search tools offers up
    the Olympus fe-140

    179 dollars, 6 mega pixels,macro focus down to 5cm.
    (as an aside, when you can get that close, lighting
    becomes interesting)

    BugBear

    bugbear, Nov 8, 2006
  4. toronado455

    toronado455 Guest

    tomm42 wrote:
    > On Nov 8, 1:18 am, "toronado455" <> wrote:
    > > Is there any $200 or less digital camera that is particularly good at
    > > focusing sharply on objects a few inches from the lens? Or do they all
    > > have about the same close-range focus capability (or lack thereof) in
    > > that price range?

    > If you don't mind 2nd hand, you can get a Nikon 995 or 4500 for that
    > price, 3.3 and 4mp. About as high quality camera as P&S camera get.
    > Both have excellent close focusing properties.
    >
    > Tom

    Thanks. I'm going to stick with new. I may have to bump up the price a
    bit.

    toronado455, Nov 8, 2006
  5. toronado455

    toronado455 Guest

    bugbear wrote:
    > toronado455 wrote:
    > > Is there any $200 or less digital camera that is particularly good at
    > > focusing sharply on objects a few inches from the lens? Or do they all
    > > have about the same close-range focus capability (or lack thereof) in
    > > that price range?
    > >

    > Well, there are lots.
    >
    > A quick wander round dpreview's search tools offers up
    > the Olympus fe-140
    >
    > 179 dollars, 6 mega pixels,macro focus down to 5cm.
    > (as an aside, when you can get that close, lighting
    > becomes interesting)
    >
    > BugBear

    How were you able to search on macro focus on that site?

    I like the Canon PowerShot A630. Macro focus down to 1cm, not to
    mention a great camera. But it will cost me a bit over $200. But there
    are some good deals out there.

    toronado455, Nov 8, 2006
  6. toronado455

    SMS Guest

    toronado455 wrote:
    > Is there any $200 or less digital camera that is particularly good at
    > focusing sharply on objects a few inches from the lens? Or do they all
    > have about the same close-range focus capability (or lack thereof) in
    > that price range?

    Probably the A540 is your best choice in that price range. Make sure
    that whatever you choose also has while balance control. The A700 is
    better if you can go

    Look at dcresource.com, as each review has a macro test shot.

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a540-review/

    SMS, Nov 8, 2006
  7. toronado455

    jpc Guest

    On 7 Nov 2006 22:18:39 -0800, "toronado455" <>
    wrote:

    >Is there any $200 or less digital camera that is particularly good at
    >focusing sharply on objects a few inches from the lens? Or do they all
    >have about the same close-range focus capability (or lack thereof) in
    >that price range?

    I rrecently bought a new Olympus SP350 for $225 on line. It's an 8 mp
    camera that takes excelent macro images. I've been printing them out
    at 12 by 18 inches. (7X life size). From the detail in the prints I
    suspect I could push the print size to 20 by 30 and still end up with
    something decent

    jpc

    jpc, Nov 9, 2006
  8. toronado455

    bugbear Guest

    toronado455 wrote:

    > How were you able to search on macro focus on that site?

    I couldn't.

    I just used pixel count and price to cut down the numbers,
    and eyeballed.

    > I like the Canon PowerShot A630. Macro focus down to 1cm, not to
    > mention a great camera. But it will cost me a bit over $200. But there
    > are some good deals out there.

    Careful. Historically the has been little difference
    between comtemporaneous Canon cameras that differ by 10

    (e.g. a60 a70, a510, a520)

    The only difference was pixel count.

    There is a gulf of difference between the a530 and a540.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Nov 9, 2006
  9. toronado455

    toronado455 Guest

    SMS wrote:
    > toronado455 wrote:
    > > Is there any $200 or less digital camera that is particularly good at
    > > focusing sharply on objects a few inches from the lens? Or do they all
    > > have about the same close-range focus capability (or lack thereof) in
    > > that price range?

    > Probably the A540 is your best choice in that price range. Make sure
    > that whatever you choose also has while balance control. The A700 is
    > better if you can go
    >
    > Look at dcresource.com, as each review has a macro test shot.
    >
    > http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a540-review/

    Excellent site! Thanks!

    toronado455, Nov 10, 2006
  10. toronado455

    toronado455 Guest

    jpc wrote:
    > On 7 Nov 2006 22:18:39 -0800, "toronado455" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Is there any $200 or less digital camera that is particularly good at
    > >focusing sharply on objects a few inches from the lens? Or do they all
    > >have about the same close-range focus capability (or lack thereof) in
    > >that price range?

    > I rrecently bought a new Olympus SP350 for $225 on line. It's an 8 mp
    > camera that takes excelent macro images. I've been printing them out
    > at 12 by 18 inches. (7X life size). From the detail in the prints I
    > suspect I could push the print size to 20 by 30 and still end up with
    > something decent
    >
    > jpc

    Thanks. Macro on the SP350 is excellent!

    toronado455, Nov 10, 2006