    preferably 5'8" when fully extended so that it comes to my eye-level
    without me stooping down. Any recommendations?

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 4, 2005

  2. On 4 Oct 2005 03:38:29 -0700, Siddhartha Jain <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Am looking for a travel ballhead tripod that is less than a kg and
    > preferably 5'8" when fully extended so that it comes to my eye-level
    > without me stooping down. Any recommendations?

    I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago, and the recommendation
    was for the Velbon 343E. Mine is still in the tender loving arms of UPS,
    so I can't give a first-hand report on its quality. It's a little bit on
    the short side (5' 3"), but otherwise meets your specs.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 4, 2005

  3. Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > On 4 Oct 2005 03:38:29 -0700, Siddhartha Jain <> wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Am looking for a travel ballhead tripod that is less than a kg and
    > > preferably 5'8" when fully extended so that it comes to my eye-level
    > > without me stooping down. Any recommendations?

    > I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago, and the recommendation
    > was for the Velbon 343E. Mine is still in the tender loving arms of UPS,
    > so I can't give a first-hand report on its quality. It's a little bit on
    > the short side (5' 3"), but otherwise meets your specs.
    >
    > -dms

    Thanks Daniel. Here's a comparison summary that I prepared:
    http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/tripod-compare.html

    Hard to decide between the four. What is "Independant Leg Spread"?

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 4, 2005
  4. Siddhartha Jain

    chasfs Guest

    I noticed some tripods by Amvona on ebay - their features look pretty
    good, prices are low, but shipping is a bit high. Haven't bought one,
    so can't comment on the quality.

    I can recommend Bogen/Manfrotto, though they may be a bit higher than
    your price range. B&H Photo (http://bhphoto.com) has a good selection.

    Peace,
    chasfs
    http://chasfs.com

    chasfs, Oct 4, 2005
  5. Siddhartha Jain

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    According to Siddhartha Jain <>:

    [ ... ]

    > Thanks Daniel. Here's a comparison summary that I prepared:
    > http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/tripod-compare.html
    >
    > Hard to decide between the four. What is "Independant Leg Spread"?

    Without researching it, I would think that it is the ability to
    move each leg to a different angle to help with setups on uneven and/or
    crowded surfaces. Some tripods have links going from the low point on
    the outer section of each leg to a sliding collar on the center post,
    adding rigidity, and forcing all three legs to extend at the same angle.
    This makes for quicker setup in normal conditions, but restricts the leg
    positions for dealing with unusual surfaces.

    I could imagine ones with the ability to unlink the braces, but
    none of mine have that. Looking at my two full-sized tripods, the old
    SLIK (from about 1968 at a guess) has screws at the bottom end of the
    links, so -- with proper tools (a screwdriver and an open-end wrench)
    they could be disconnected. The somewhat lighter Sequoia (perhaps ten
    years old) has the links riveted at both ends, so there is no choice
    there. Neither of these has a ball head, FWIW.

    Ideally, a tripod would have a quick way to disconnect the links
    with no hand tools required at all, so you would have the best of both
    worlds -- rigidity when you needed it, and flexibility when you needed
    that.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

    DoN. Nichols, Oct 4, 2005
  6. chasfs wrote:
    > I noticed some tripods by Amvona on ebay - their features look pretty
    > good, prices are low, but shipping is a bit high. Haven't bought one,
    > so can't comment on the quality.
    >
    > I can recommend Bogen/Manfrotto, though they may be a bit higher than
    > your price range. B&H Photo (http://bhphoto.com) has a good selection.
    >

    > Peace,
    > chasfs
    > http://chasfs.com

    I intended to buy the Manfrotto 724B but at 1.4kgs it is a bit heavy.
    Yep, I too looked at Amvona tripods but haven't seen any reviews.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 4, 2005
  7. DoN. Nichols wrote:
    > According to Siddhartha Jain <>:
    >
    > [ ... ]
    >
    > > Thanks Daniel. Here's a comparison summary that I prepared:
    > > http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/tripod-compare.html
    > >
    > > Hard to decide between the four. What is "Independant Leg Spread"?

    > Without researching it, I would think that it is the ability to
    > move each leg to a different angle to help with setups on uneven and/or
    > crowded surfaces. Some tripods have links going from the low point on
    > the outer section of each leg to a sliding collar on the center post,
    > adding rigidity, and forcing all three legs to extend at the same angle.
    > This makes for quicker setup in normal conditions, but restricts the leg
    > positions for dealing with unusual surfaces.
    >
    > I could imagine ones with the ability to unlink the braces, but
    > none of mine have that. Looking at my two full-sized tripods, the old
    > SLIK (from about 1968 at a guess) has screws at the bottom end of the
    > links, so -- with proper tools (a screwdriver and an open-end wrench)
    > they could be disconnected. The somewhat lighter Sequoia (perhaps ten
    > years old) has the links riveted at both ends, so there is no choice
    > there. Neither of these has a ball head, FWIW.
    >
    > Ideally, a tripod would have a quick way to disconnect the links
    > with no hand tools required at all, so you would have the best of both
    > worlds -- rigidity when you needed it, and flexibility when you needed
    > that.
    >
    > Enjoy,
    > DoN.

    That was my impression of "Independant Leg Spread" but I looked at the
    Velbon 343E which isn't supposed to have this feature but its legs
    aren't linked to each other.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 4, 2005