Sub $100 Inkjet printer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Siddhartha Jain, Dec 7, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    After having acquired a nice camera (Olympus C-750), I want to get a
    decent Inkjet printer to print some photographs occasionally.

    My first question is that is it worth buying a printer for
    occasionally printing? Or is it cheaper to goto a photo processing
    shop and get them printed on professional equipment?

    If I buy a printer, I don't want anything expensive as I will use it
    once in a while, so ~$100 seems ok for that.

    Is 4800x1200 dpi good enough for 4x6 photographs? How about A4 size?
    Upto what size can I print with photographs from a 4MP camera?

    Some cheap printers I could find are:
    -HP Deskjet 3650
    -Lexmark Z605 (Although its got very good ratings on amazon, I am wary
    of Lexmark after the DMCA fiasco, I don't want to marry Lexmark. Also
    their supplies seem to be more expensive that HP and Epson)
    -Epson Stylus C63

    Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 7, 2003

  2. << If I buy a printer, I don't want anything expensive as I will use it
    once in a while, so ~$100 seems ok for that. >>

    Try the Epson 820.

    Conrad Weiler
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad Weiler, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Siddhartha Jain

    Ralph Mowery Guest

    > After having acquired a nice camera (Olympus C-750), I want to get a
    > decent Inkjet printer to print some photographs occasionally.
    >
    > My first question is that is it worth buying a printer for
    > occasionally printing? Or is it cheaper to goto a photo processing
    > shop and get them printed on professional equipment?
    >
    > If I buy a printer, I don't want anything expensive as I will use it
    > once in a while, so ~$100 seems ok for that.
    >
    > Is 4800x1200 dpi good enough for 4x6 photographs? How about A4 size?
    > Upto what size can I print with photographs from a 4MP camera?

    I would take it to a place like wal-mart and have them print them. I think
    it is alittle under $ 7 for 24 prints and about $ 3 for an 8x10 pix. If you
    do not use it very much the ink will probably be dry on the print heads.
    Then you do need good paper for the photos. One thing that is not mentioned
    much is how the ink sometimes fades after a few years . Aregular photo will
    not do that. Most of the printers are "given" away and the real money is in
    the ink.

    A 4 MP cam will do a 8x10 or even bigger just fine for most people.

    Ralph Mowery, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Siddhartha Jain

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    > My first question is that is it worth buying a printer for
    > occasionally printing? Or is it cheaper to goto a photo
    > processing shop and get them printed on professional
    > equipment?

    Nobody buys photo-printers to save (you just can't beat
    professional photo lab prices and achieve similar quality)
    but for the convenience of printing whatever you want
    whenever you want.

    > If I buy a printer, I don't want anything expensive as I will
    > use it once in a while, so ~$100 seems ok for that.

    If all you want is 6x4, a great candidate would be the HP
    Photosmart 100/130 (both OOP now) which you can find
    on EBay for as little as $50. No other budget inkjet printer
    can achieve that kind of quality.

    > Some cheap printers I could find are:
    > -HP Deskjet 3650

    Deskjets do a horrible job with photographs.
    Not recommended.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 7, 2003
  5. Siddhartha Jain

    LauraK Guest

    >My first question is that is it worth buying a printer for
    >occasionally printing? Or is it cheaper to goto a photo processing
    >shop and get them printed on professional equipment?

    It's cheaper to get them printed professionally. It takes a lot of time and
    effort and ink and paper to get color profile set up right between screen and
    printer. The costs mount up fast.
    If you want a lot, take them on a card to Wal-Mart or similar or send them
    online to a place like
    http://www.dotphoto.com
    or
    http://www.ezprints.com
    If you just have a few you want some prints of, put them on a CD and take them
    to a place like Walgreens or another store that has the Kodak printer. I've
    used these for 8X10s and been extremely pleased with the results.

    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    web design, print design, photography

    LauraK, Dec 7, 2003
  6. (Siddhartha Jain) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > After having acquired a nice camera (Olympus C-750), I want to get a
    > decent Inkjet printer to print some photographs occasionally.
    >
    > My first question is that is it worth buying a printer for
    > occasionally printing? Or is it cheaper to goto a photo processing
    > shop and get them printed on professional equipment?
    >
    > If I buy a printer, I don't want anything expensive as I will use it
    > once in a while, so ~$100 seems ok for that.
    >
    > Is 4800x1200 dpi good enough for 4x6 photographs? How about A4 size?
    > Upto what size can I print with photographs from a 4MP camera?
    >
    > Some cheap printers I could find are:
    > -HP Deskjet 3650
    > -Lexmark Z605 (Although its got very good ratings on amazon, I am wary
    > of Lexmark after the DMCA fiasco, I don't want to marry Lexmark. Also
    > their supplies seem to be more expensive that HP and Epson)
    > -Epson Stylus C63
    >
    > Siddhartha

    photos, I paid $79.00 for a C82 Epson, and the C84 is out, better, for
    near the same price. I got mine from Gateway Shopping, but any online
    store would sell them at that price.

    The C82 -84 is very fast on Black/White, and in quite fast in color,
    it does fabulously on Bright White non-gloss paper, and better on the
    Epson Medium/Heavy Matte paper, even a light matte. It does not fare
    well, on gloss paper.

    A non glossy print is much classier, in my estimation, and if you have
    a masterpiece, all the better to have it on matte.

    Cartridges are expensive whatever choice you make, but the C82/84
    Epson uses FOUR separate Cartridges...BLACK, and one each of the three
    colors. The black goes for about $30. and the colors go for about 12.
    each...total $66.00, BUT! shop around with Yahoo, Pricegrabber, My
    Simon, etc, etc, etc, and you can drop that price drastically.

    In short, I'm thrilled with my C82!

    Mike if emailing, change .COM to .NET

    Michael P Gabriel, Dec 7, 2003
  7. Siddhartha Jain

    Mark Herring Guest

    On 7 Dec 2003 07:59:32 -0800, (Siddhartha
    Jain) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >After having acquired a nice camera (Olympus C-750), I want to get a
    >decent Inkjet printer to print some photographs occasionally.
    >
    >My first question is that is it worth buying a printer for
    >occasionally printing? Or is it cheaper to goto a photo processing
    >shop and get them printed on professional equipment?
    >
    >If I buy a printer, I don't want anything expensive as I will use it
    >once in a while, so ~$100 seems ok for that.
    >
    >Is 4800x1200 dpi good enough for 4x6 photographs? How about A4 size?
    >Upto what size can I print with photographs from a 4MP camera?
    >
    >Some cheap printers I could find are:
    >-HP Deskjet 3650
    >-Lexmark Z605 (Although its got very good ratings on amazon, I am wary
    >of Lexmark after the DMCA fiasco, I don't want to marry Lexmark. Also
    >their supplies seem to be more expensive that HP and Epson)
    >-Epson Stylus C63
    >
    >Siddhartha

    Once you have a printer at home, I'm guessing that you will use it
    more thatn occassionally. the cost will be not the printer, but the
    ink and paper.

    For photos, you want at least a 6-color printer

    Personally, I get a lot of use out of a roll paper feeder
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Dec 8, 2003