    Is it an issue with the tape, tape heads, mic?

    Cheers

    John

    John, Dec 21, 2004

  2. John

    :::Jerry:::: Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello. If I have sound that is stuttering when I record using my
    > MiniDV camcorder what could be the problem?
    >
    > Is it an issue with the tape, tape heads, mic?

    Is the vision OK, on break up, drop outs or other unwanted 'noise' on the
    picture ?

    :::Jerry::::, Dec 21, 2004

  3. John

    G Hardy Guest

    > Hello. If I have sound that is stuttering when I record using my
    > MiniDV camcorder what could be the problem?

    Is it a Canon? I get audio gaps and beeps regularly (even though the video
    is fine).

    G Hardy, Dec 21, 2004
  4. John

    Rv! Guest

    "G Hardy" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello. If I have sound that is stuttering when I record using my
    > > MiniDV camcorder what could be the problem?

    > Is it a Canon? I get audio gaps and beeps regularly (even though the video
    > is fine).

    Got any nearby Airport/Airstrips?

    Rv!

    Rv!, Dec 22, 2004
  5. John

    G Hardy Guest

    > > > Hello. If I have sound that is stuttering when I record using my
    > > > MiniDV camcorder what could be the problem?

    > > Is it a Canon? I get audio gaps and beeps regularly (even though the

    video
    > > is fine).

    > Got any nearby Airport/Airstrips?

    Nope. I think it's a problem with the way Canon synchronise audio - my
    capture program doesn't like it.

    It's no big deal, though. I just render the audio out to a WAV and run a
    little VBA routine over it that fixes it, or at least makes it usable.

    G Hardy, Dec 22, 2004
  6. John

    Rv! Guest

    "G Hardy" <> wrote in message

    > > > Is it a Canon? I get audio gaps and beeps regularly (even though the

    > video
    > > > is fine).

    > > Got any nearby Airport/Airstrips?

    > Nope. I think it's a problem with the way Canon synchronise audio - my
    > capture program doesn't like it.
    >
    > It's no big deal, though. I just render the audio out to a WAV and run a
    > little VBA routine over it that fixes it, or at least makes it usable.

    The reason I asked that is I've had problems with Radar breakthrough before
    resulting in intermittant half second "silence or blips" when using video-cams.
    The radar in question was about 5 miles away line-of-site from the Tiree airport
    off Scotlands mainland. This is one of the major international long range sites
    watching over to the USA, also covering weather prediction radar.

    Rv!

    Rv!, Dec 22, 2004
  7. "Rv!" <> wrote in message

    > The reason I asked that is I've had problems with Radar breakthrough

    before
    > resulting in intermittant half second "silence or blips" when using

    video-cams.
    > The radar in question was about 5 miles away line-of-site from the Tiree

    airport
    > off Scotlands mainland. This is one of the major international long range

    sites
    > watching over to the USA, also covering weather prediction radar.
    >
    > Rv!

    Were you able to stop the radar interference by wrapping your camcorder in
    something like kitchen foil? Interested because in a former life I was
    responsible for ensuring that interference from a radar we were testing
    didn't cause any interference with other people's equipment.

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Malcolm Stewart, Dec 22, 2004
  8. John

    The One Guest

    ":::Jerry::::" <> wrote in message

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello. If I have sound that is stuttering when I record using my
    >> MiniDV camcorder what could be the problem?
    >>
    >> Is it an issue with the tape, tape heads, mic?
    >>

    > Is the vision OK, on break up, drop outs or other unwanted 'noise' on the
    > picture ?

    BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA fucking hell................... did he say there
    was any other problems. Fucking hell.

    The One, Dec 23, 2004
  9. John

    The One Guest

    BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA **** me dead

    The One, Dec 23, 2004
  10. John

    Rv! Guest

    > Were you able to stop the radar interference by wrapping your camcorder in
    > something like kitchen foil? Interested because in a former life I was
    > responsible for ensuring that interference from a radar we were testing
    > didn't cause any interference with other people's equipment.

    To be honest we didn't realise the problem until the return from the event
    when we sat down in the "home video suite" to remaster the video before
    editing. The next year when the "radio team" returned to the site a different
    camera was used and as I wasn't present I never saw the result.

    I would imagine the problem with wrapping in foil is to get the foil at a decent
    ground (or 0v) potential since most cameras are plastic pigs. Those with metal
    cases would be less of a problem as long as they're grounded out to the battery.
    Even then, since the whole thing is floating in space and completely unearthed
    the results would probably be very variable. All of the audio we used was from
    the internal microphone on the camera as this wasn't a professional shoot; More
    like a video diary of fun/work/beer/food for the weekend.

    Rv!

    Rv!, Dec 23, 2004
  11. John

    Rv! Guest

    "The One" said...
    > BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA **** me dead

    You're not really my type, but thanks for the offer which I'll keep
    in mind in-case my sheep ever gets lonely.
    Rv!

    Rv!, Dec 23, 2004
  12. John

    G Hardy Guest

    > The reason I asked that is I've had problems with Radar breakthrough
    before
    > resulting in intermittant half second "silence or blips" when using

    video-cams.

    I thought you might be thinking along those lines (although I expected
    something to do with radio, not radar).

    Has anyone ever experienced problems with mobile phones near cameras, or
    minicab radio interference with wireless mikes?

    G Hardy, Dec 23, 2004
  13. John

    Rv! Guest

    > I thought you might be thinking along those lines (although I expected
    > something to do with radio, not radar).
    >
    > Has anyone ever experienced problems with mobile phones near cameras, or
    > minicab radio interference with wireless mikes?

    Most modern radio mikes are UHF working around 850Mhz and do not
    normally suffer from RFI from Taxi/CB interference. It's still possible but I
    have never seen any RF on ours which is a frequency variant of the following:
    http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--59400

    We regularly use short range PMR 466 radios for talkback and a constantly
    transmitting audio PFL monitor without problem. We will regularly have three
    channels in operation at the same time, all around 466MHz.

    As for radio interference in general, the Tiree event mentioned earlier had us
    operating radio as part of an amateur radio contest for 24hours. Using high power
    from two stations all within 15 feet (of the radios) and 100ft of the antennas.
    No problems were noted, except the radar pulses from 5mile away.

    http://www.audio-technica.com/using/wireless/advanced/resolve.html

    Rv!

    Rv!, Dec 23, 2004
  14. John

    Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <>, John
    <> writes
    >Hello. If I have sound that is stuttering when I record using my
    >MiniDV camcorder what could be the problem?
    >
    >Is it an issue with the tape, tape heads, mic?

    To determine the cause, you might like to ask yourself the following
    questions:

    1. Does it happen at only one shooting site (or at all shooting
    sites).
    2. If a headset is plugged into the camcorder while shooting
    can the stuttering be heard.
    3. Can it be heard when connected (and replaying) directly
    into a TV.
    4. After capturing into your video editor, can it be heard when
    reviewing in the video editor.
    5. Does it occur only when replaying to TV or transfer to
    video editor when the camcorder is powered from the
    mains (via power supply).

    If (1) then it's likely to be EM interference.
    If (2) NOT (1) then it's likely your camcorder at fault.
    If (3) NOT (1) AND NOT (2) then it's likely an audio connector problem.
    If (4) and NOT (1) through (3) then it may be software problem.
    If (5) it may be interference picked up in your mains supply (faulty
    fluorescent lamp/starter?).

    The above are not exhaustive, but should help to isolate the source of
    interference.
    --
    Tony Morgan
    http://www.rhylonline.com

    Tony Morgan, Dec 23, 2004
  15. John

    :::Jerry:::: Guest

    "The One" <> wrote in message

    > ":::Jerry::::" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "John" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello. If I have sound that is stuttering when I record using my
    > >> MiniDV camcorder what could be the problem?
    > >>
    > >> Is it an issue with the tape, tape heads, mic?
    > >>

    > > Is the vision OK, on break up, drop outs or other unwanted 'noise' on

    the
    > > picture ?
    > >

    > BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA fucking hell................... did he say there
    > was any other problems. Fucking hell.

    Matt, piss off, I bet customer service desks love you !...

    :::Jerry::::, Dec 23, 2004
  16. John

    :::Jerry:::: Guest

    "The One" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA **** me dead

    Matt, please don't post when pissed, you only make yourself look a total
    moron.

    :::Jerry::::, Dec 23, 2004
  17. John

    The One Guest

    ":::Jerry::::" <> wrote in message

    > "The One" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> ":::Jerry::::" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "John" <> wrote in message

    >> > Is the vision OK, on break up, drop outs or other unwanted 'noise' on

    > the
    >> > picture ?
    >> >

    >> BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA fucking hell................... did he say there
    >> was any other problems. Fucking hell.
    >>

    > Matt, piss off, I bet customer service desks love you !...

    Never used them, and my name on here the The One.

    The One, Dec 24, 2004
  18. John

    The One Guest

    ":::Jerry::::" <> wrote in message

    > "The One" <> wrote in message
    >>

    > <snip>
    >>
    >> BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA **** me dead
    >>

    > Matt, please don't post when pissed, you only make yourself look a total
    > moron.

    Like you did in your last post.

    The One, Dec 24, 2004
  19. John

    John Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:32:36 +0000, A strange species called Tony
    Morgan <> wrote:

    >In message <>, John
    ><> writes
    >>Hello. If I have sound that is stuttering when I record using my
    >>MiniDV camcorder what could be the problem?
    >>
    >>Is it an issue with the tape, tape heads, mic?
    >>

    >To determine the cause, you might like to ask yourself the following
    >questions:
    >
    >1. Does it happen at only one shooting site (or at all shooting
    >sites).
    >2. If a headset is plugged into the camcorder while shooting
    > can the stuttering be heard.
    >3. Can it be heard when connected (and replaying) directly
    > into a TV.
    >4. After capturing into your video editor, can it be heard when
    > reviewing in the video editor.
    >5. Does it occur only when replaying to TV or transfer to
    > video editor when the camcorder is powered from the
    > mains (via power supply).
    >
    >If (1) then it's likely to be EM interference.
    >If (2) NOT (1) then it's likely your camcorder at fault.
    >If (3) NOT (1) AND NOT (2) then it's likely an audio connector problem.
    >If (4) and NOT (1) through (3) then it may be software problem.
    >If (5) it may be interference picked up in your mains supply (faulty
    >fluorescent lamp/starter?).
    >
    >The above are not exhaustive, but should help to isolate the source of
    >interference.

    Yes, my camcorder is a Canon. The Audio seems to stutter and
    sometimes drop in and out. So if someone is talking I will get 5 secs
    of conversation then drop out for a couple of seconds then get the
    next 5 secs and so on.

    The closest option above would be option 3. When I attach directly to
    a TV without recording onto a tape the sound is fine. When I record
    onto a MiniDV tape and play back either on the camcorder LCD or on a
    TV there is stuttering sound and drop out. The picture quality is
    unaffected and completely perfect.

    Manchester Airport is probably 30 miles from where I live at a rough
    guess. Yeadon Airport in Leeds a slightly shorter distance. I don't
    think the aircraft masts emitting signals could effect my camcorder
    from such a distance could they? Unless its the Americans up in
    Menwith Hill? :) Would mobile phone masts have any effect on a
    Camcorder?

    Will using a tape cleaner fix this drop out or do I need to get my
    Camcorder serviced? Is there a way to avoid this to film at
    Christmas? I'm not sure I have the ability to add an external mic? I
    have the Canon ZR camcorder. http://tinyurl.com/3ayyx

    Cheers

    John

    John, Dec 24, 2004
  20. John

    G Hardy Guest

    > Yes, my camcorder is a Canon...

    > Manchester Airport is probably 30 miles from where I live at a rough
    > guess. Yeadon Airport in Leeds a slightly shorter distance.

    If you're north of the M62 let me know (my munged email address should be
    easy enough to work out). I'm not far from Burnley, so it should be easy
    enough to get together and look at the tape.

    G Hardy, Dec 24, 2004