Sturdiest damn digital camera with compact flash and ni-mh batteries!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Whacky Blacky, Jun 17, 2005.

  1. what about the lenses?
    do you break those too?

    death skunk five, Jun 18, 2005

  2. Look, you're just too hard on the damned cameras.

    Scare up a Kodak DC5000, a ruggedized 2 MP camera that's
    water-resistant and uses 4 AA batteries and CF cards. Not state of the
    art, but it's got the best chance of withstanding the punishment you're
    dishing out.

    -Cardamon Dave

    Cardamon Dave, Jun 18, 2005

  3. Whacky Blacky

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:58:38 -0700, Whacky Blacky wrote:

    > What is the most rugged consumer digital camera with cf and ni-mh
    > batteries?

    Make yourself a pinhole camera.
    --
    neil
    delete delete to reply

    Neil Ellwood, Jun 18, 2005
  4. Whacky Blacky

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:51:33 GMT, Craig Flory wrote:

    > By the way ... what the heck is mudbrody mean ??? In my 57 years
    > on this earth I've never heard that word before.

    Maybe "broken" was buzzing through his brain and caused his
    fingers to insert a few letters ("bro") while typing "they get wet,
    they get muddy, they get dusty, dew condenses on them . . ."

    ASAAR, Jun 18, 2005
  5. Whacky Blacky

    Old Bugger Guest

    On 17 Jun 2005 09:58:38 -0700, "Whacky Blacky" <> wrote:

    >What is the most rugged consumer digital camera with cf and ni-mh
    >batteries?
    >
    >I've broken the battery door on my Nikon, the slider door on my
    >Olympus, the over the lens shutter of the Canon, even the pop-up flash
    >of my 35mm EOS and electrical switches on my Minolta 7000 SLR. (I've
    >got a box filled with broken cameras and camera bodies and lenses, all
    >purchased new - is there any value to this on the open market?). ;)

    Don't take up rock climbing.

    Old Bugger, Jun 18, 2005
  6. Whacky Blacky

    Nostrobino Guest

    > What is the most rugged consumer digital camera with cf and ni-mh
    > batteries?

    [ . . . ]

    > Does a sturdy digital camera actually exist that I won't break in a
    > year?

    I don't think they make 'em like that anymore.

    My very first SLR was a screw-mount Petri. That was at least 40 years ago,
    and I bought the Petri because it was the cheapest SLR in the store and
    that's all I could afford. One sunny day I was on my way up to a sports car
    race, and the Petri came off the back of my motorcycle at about 65 mph. I
    think it bounced end over end along the concrete for about 50 yards. It
    picked up several dings and scrapes in the process, but still worked
    perfectly except for the frame counter (which was a quirky thing on that
    model anyway). I used that camera for quite some time after that with no
    further problems.

    But I really doubt they make 'em like that anymore.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Jun 19, 2005
  7. Whacky Blacky

    Stacey Guest

    Whacky Blacky wrote:

    > I've broken the battery door on my Nikon, the slider door on my
    > Olympus, the over the lens shutter of the Canon, even the pop-up flash
    > of my 35mm EOS and electrical switches on my Minolta 7000 SLR. (I've
    > got a box filled with broken cameras and camera bodies and lenses, all
    > purchased new - is there any value to this on the open market?). ;)
    >
    > Point is, I'm rough on cameras (they get wet, they get mudbrody, they
    > get dusty, dew condenses on them, they get backpacked, they get warmed
    > in the trunk, they get dropped, ... in short ... I use my cameras.

    That's not use, that's ABUSE!

    > Does a sturdy digital camera actually exist that I won't break in a
    > year?

    Doubt it.
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Jun 19, 2005
  8. "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    > Whacky Blacky wrote:
    >

    >> I've broken the battery door on my Nikon, the slider door on my
    >> Olympus, the over the lens shutter of the Canon, even the pop-up flash
    >> of my 35mm EOS and electrical switches on my Minolta 7000 SLR. (I've
    >> got a box filled with broken cameras and camera bodies and lenses, all
    >> purchased new ......

    I got so mad at a computer once that I put it on my garage floor and smashed
    the hell out of it with a sledge hammer..........(Didn't buy another one for
    about 10 years, either.)

    William Graham, Jun 19, 2005
  9. Whacky Blacky

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 00:26:32 -0700, William Graham wrote:

    > I got so mad at a computer once that I put it on my garage floor and smashed
    > the hell out of it with a sledge hammer..........(Didn't buy another one for
    > about 10 years, either.)

    I don't use sledgehammers much either.
    --
    neil
    delete delete to reply

    Neil Ellwood, Jun 19, 2005
  10. Whacky Blacky

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Jun 19, 2005
  11. Whacky Blacky

    Ian Stirling Guest

    In sci.chem.electrochem.battery Alan Browne <> wrote:
    > William Graham wrote:
    >

    >> I got so mad at a computer once that I put it on my garage floor and smashed
    >> the hell out of it with a sledge hammer..........(Didn't buy another one for
    >> about 10 years, either.)

    > A course a local college might have been more productive.

    You'd need a bigger hammer though.

    Ian Stirling, Jun 19, 2005
  12. "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    > William Graham wrote:
    >

    >> I got so mad at a computer once that I put it on my garage floor and
    >> smashed the hell out of it with a sledge hammer..........(Didn't buy
    >> another one for about 10 years, either.)

    > A course a local college might have been more productive.

    Yes, but in those days they didn't teach Anger Management at the local
    community college........

    William Graham, Jun 19, 2005
  13. Whacky Blacky

    Mark² Guest

    > What is the most rugged consumer digital camera with cf and ni-mh
    > batteries?
    >
    > I've broken the battery door on my Nikon, the slider door on my
    > Olympus, the over the lens shutter of the Canon, even the pop-up flash
    > of my 35mm EOS and electrical switches on my Minolta 7000 SLR. (I've
    > got a box filled with broken cameras and camera bodies and lenses, all
    > purchased new - is there any value to this on the open market?). ;)
    >
    > Point is, I'm rough on cameras (they get wet, they get mudbrody, they
    > get dusty, dew condenses on them, they get backpacked, they get warmed
    > in the trunk, they get dropped, ... in short ... I use my cameras.

    I hear Fischer-Price makes some nice camera's for similarly clumsy
    4-year-olds...
    :)

    Mark², Jun 19, 2005
  14. Whacky Blacky

    Alan Browne Guest

    William Graham wrote:
    > "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    >> A course a local college might have been more productive.
    >>

    > Yes, but in those days they didn't teach Anger Management at the
    > local community college........

    I meant a computer course, of course; but the other posters reply about
    not using sledgehammers much is the best...

    Alan Browne, Jun 19, 2005
  15. "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    > William Graham wrote:
    >> "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    >>> A course a local college might have been more productive.
    >>>

    >> Yes, but in those days they didn't teach Anger Management at the
    >> local community college........

    > I meant a computer course, of course; but the other posters reply about
    > not using sledgehammers much is the best...

    Yes. The really funny part is that I used to repair IBM machines, including
    early computers, and one of the most useful tools I carried was a 5 lb.
    sledge hammer. It was really useful when you need to "force" something and
    you didn't have much room to swing a regular hammer....You could get a lot
    of force out of only a few inches travel.....

    William Graham, Jun 19, 2005
  16. Whacky Blacky

    Frank ess Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > "Whacky Blacky" <> wrote in message
    >> What is the most rugged consumer digital camera with cf and ni-mh
    >> batteries?
    >>
    >> I've broken the battery door on my Nikon, the slider door on my
    >> Olympus, the over the lens shutter of the Canon, even the pop-up
    >> flash of my 35mm EOS and electrical switches on my Minolta 7000
    >> SLR.
    >> (I've got a box filled with broken cameras and camera bodies and
    >> lenses, all purchased new - is there any value to this on the open
    >> market?). ;) Point is, I'm rough on cameras (they get wet, they get
    >> mudbrody, they
    >> get dusty, dew condenses on them, they get backpacked, they get
    >> warmed in the trunk, they get dropped, ... in short ... I use my
    >> cameras.

    > I hear Fischer-Price makes some nice camera's for similarly clumsy
    > 4-year-olds...
    > :(

    I bet that someone old enough to shop for a "rugged consumer digital
    camera" has had enough experiences to both need a good camera, and be
    resigned to equipment-breaking as a way of life. I'll also wager
    cameras are not the only pieces of hardware he has boxes of broken of
    (!).

    My suggestion, should he decide to accept it, is: seek counseling. You
    can break one last thing: your break-it habit. I bet the breakage
    never happens until you've somehow decided the equipment is not worthy
    of you in a basic way, and you'd move on up if you just didn't have
    this faulty thing to use instead.

    --
    Frank ess
    "There _are_ no accidents, if you dig deep enough and have a fertile

    Frank ess, Jun 19, 2005
  17. Whacky Blacky

    BigEd Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >
    >> "Whacky Blacky" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> What is the most rugged consumer digital camera with cf and ni-mh
    >>> batteries?
    >>>
    >>> I've broken the battery door on my Nikon, the slider door on my
    >>> Olympus, the over the lens shutter of the Canon, even the pop-up
    >>> flash of my 35mm EOS and electrical switches on my Minolta 7000 SLR.
    >>> (I've got a box filled with broken cameras and camera bodies and
    >>> lenses, all purchased new - is there any value to this on the open
    >>> market?). ;) Point is, I'm rough on cameras (they get wet, they get
    >>> mudbrody, they
    >>> get dusty, dew condenses on them, they get backpacked, they get
    >>> warmed in the trunk, they get dropped, ... in short ... I use my
    >>> cameras.

    >> I hear Fischer-Price makes some nice camera's for similarly clumsy
    >> 4-year-olds...
    >> :(

    > I bet that someone old enough to shop for a "rugged consumer digital
    > camera" has had enough experiences to both need a good camera, and be
    > resigned to equipment-breaking as a way of life. I'll also wager cameras
    > are not the only pieces of hardware he has boxes of broken of (!).
    >
    > My suggestion, should he decide to accept it, is: seek counseling. You
    > can break one last thing: your break-it habit. I bet the breakage never
    > happens until you've somehow decided the equipment is not worthy of you
    > in a basic way, and you'd move on up if you just didn't have this faulty
    > thing to use instead.

    This thread just shows you how dumb some people really are. Now smashing
    a computer on the floor of a garage with a sledge hammer. I do not
    really think the computer is stupid, as much as the user who did not
    know what he was doing.
    The same holds true with the fellow who started this whole thing. I
    agree that a box of broken cameras is not the only box full of broken
    things he has.
    And to ramble on and on ad nauseaum just proves my point.
    And then to cross post his garbage is another really dumb assed thing to do.

    Ed

    BigEd, Jun 20, 2005
  18. Whacky Blacky

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 11:36:25 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >William Graham wrote:
    >

    >> I got so mad at a computer once that I put it on my garage floor and smashed
    >> the hell out of it with a sledge hammer..........(Didn't buy another one for
    >> about 10 years, either.)

    >A course a local college might have been more productive.

    The local colleges around here don't have classes on smashing
    computers.
    Do yours?

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Jun 20, 2005
  19. Whacky Blacky

    ian lincoln Guest

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 11:36:25 -0400, Alan Browne
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>William Graham wrote:
    >>

    >>> I got so mad at a computer once that I put it on my garage floor and
    >>> smashed
    >>> the hell out of it with a sledge hammer..........(Didn't buy another one
    >>> for
    >>> about 10 years, either.)

    >>A course a local college might have been more productive.

    > The local colleges around here don't have classes on smashing
    > computers.
    > Do yours?

    not smashing computers but they do courses on mediocre machines.

    ian lincoln, Jun 20, 2005