Stupidity of Region coding

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Netmask, May 29, 2006.

  1. Netmask

    Netmask Guest

    Many of my friends now have 3 or even 4 external DVD player/burners
    dedicated to a particular region with USA, Europe, South America labels on
    each . At around $50 each unit and with one $15 IDE to USB adapter it's a
    simple matter to plug/unplug. The whole arrangement of region coding is just
    stupid as so many people travel across continents and around the world -
    damned if I'm going to keep a dedicated collection of DVD's in my London
    office and another in Melbourne..
    Netmask, May 29, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Netmask

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    In article <tZxeg.13037$>,
    "Netmask" <> wrote:

    > Many of my friends now have 3 or even 4 external DVD player/burners
    > dedicated to a particular region with USA, Europe, South America labels on
    > each . At around $50 each unit and with one $15 IDE to USB adapter it's a
    > simple matter to plug/unplug. The whole arrangement of region coding is just
    > stupid as so many people travel across continents and around the world -
    > damned if I'm going to keep a dedicated collection of DVD's in my London
    > office and another in Melbourne..


    Actually from my point of view (being in the US), I believe that region
    coding is good. DVDs seem to come out much quicker after the theatrical
    release of a movie than they did in the VHS days. I believe that at
    least part of the reason is region coding.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, May 29, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Netmask

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Netmask wrote:
    > Many of my friends now have 3 or even 4 external DVD player/burners
    > dedicated to a particular region with USA, Europe, South America labels on
    > each . At around $50 each unit and with one $15 IDE to USB adapter it's a
    > simple matter to plug/unplug. The whole arrangement of region coding is just
    > stupid as so many people travel across continents and around the world -
    > damned if I'm going to keep a dedicated collection of DVD's in my London
    > office and another in Melbourne..
    >
    >


    You and your friends are exceedingly dimwitted then.

    Yes, region coding is stupid, but only because it is so easily bypassed,
    not because it forces Yuppies to buy three or four different DVD
    player/burners.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 29, 2006
    #3
  4. Netmask

    Justin Guest

    Dick Sidbury wrote on [Mon, 29 May 2006 10:35:45 -0400]:
    > In article <tZxeg.13037$>,
    > "Netmask" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Many of my friends now have 3 or even 4 external DVD player/burners
    >> dedicated to a particular region with USA, Europe, South America labels on
    >> each . At around $50 each unit and with one $15 IDE to USB adapter it's a
    >> simple matter to plug/unplug. The whole arrangement of region coding is just
    >> stupid as so many people travel across continents and around the world -
    >> damned if I'm going to keep a dedicated collection of DVD's in my London
    >> office and another in Melbourne..

    >
    > Actually from my point of view (being in the US), I believe that region
    > coding is good. DVDs seem to come out much quicker after the theatrical
    > release of a movie than they did in the VHS days. I believe that at
    > least part of the reason is region coding.


    VHS had its own region coding built in for the longest time, with only
    North America and Japan being in the same region. Maybe a few smaller
    markets.
    Justin, May 29, 2006
    #4
  5. Dick Sidbury <> wrote:

    >Actually from my point of view (being in the US), I believe that region
    >coding is good. DVDs seem to come out much quicker after the theatrical
    >release of a movie than they did in the VHS days. I believe that at
    >least part of the reason is region coding.


    Region coding has nothing to do with the quick releases. DVD is where the
    money is these days, so that's why they're hot to get things onto DVD.

    Region coding is stupid, but not from Hollywood's POV. They very much want
    to keep US people from sampling what the rest of the world has to offer.
    Kimba W. Lion, May 29, 2006
    #5
  6. Netmask

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Kimba W. Lion
    <> wrote:

    > Dick Sidbury <> wrote:
    >
    > >Actually from my point of view (being in the US), I believe that region
    > >coding is good. DVDs seem to come out much quicker after the theatrical
    > >release of a movie than they did in the VHS days. I believe that at
    > >least part of the reason is region coding.

    >
    > Region coding has nothing to do with the quick releases. DVD is where the
    > money is these days, so that's why they're hot to get things onto DVD.
    >
    > Region coding is stupid, but not from Hollywood's POV. They very much want
    > to keep US people from sampling what the rest of the world has to offer.


    Japanese studios felt the same way, and region coding kept consumers
    from importing cheaper US versions of Japanese shows. Toho has tried to
    keep the original Godzilla out of the US market, refusing to license
    it. It's all about protecting local markets, as without it whichever
    country produces the cheapest version of a film will end up supplying
    it to most of the world.

    --
    Chris Mack "Refugee, total shit. That's how I've always seen us.
    'Invid Fan' Not a help, you'll admit, to agreement between us."
    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, May 29, 2006
    #6
  7. Netmask

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > VHS had its own region coding built in for the longest time, with only
    > North America and Japan being in the same region. Maybe a few smaller
    > markets.



    There's no "region coding" in VHS, at least in the same created
    differences on DVDs. The differences in VHS had everything to do with
    broadcasted picture lines. Differences in country standards created
    incompatible tapes. The difference in DVDs is created purely to
    control the market.
    SoHillsGuy, May 29, 2006
    #7
  8. Netmask

    Tarkus Guest

    On 5/29/2006 10:36:09 AM, Kimba W. Lion wrote:

    > Region coding has nothing to do with the quick releases. DVD is where
    > the money is these days, so that's why they're hot to get things onto
    > DVD.
    >
    > Region coding is stupid, but not from Hollywood's POV. They very much
    > want to keep US people from sampling what the rest of the world has to
    > offer.


    That's not the primary reason. The primary reason is they don't want
    certain markets getting DVDs before the theatrical releases in those
    markets.

    Of course, P2P is somewhat rendering that null and void.
    --
    "Leeloo Minai Lekarariba-Laminai-Tchai Ekbat De Sebat."

    Now playing: "The Doors - The Soft Parade (live)"
    Tarkus, May 29, 2006
    #8
  9. Kimba W. Lion, May 30, 2006
    #9
  10. Tarkus <> wrote:

    >That's not the primary reason. The primary reason is they don't want
    >certain markets getting DVDs before the theatrical releases in those
    >markets.


    Simple answer: release the movie theatrically overseas before the DVD is
    released.

    I think the theory about the cheapest producer dominating the world market
    is closer to the truth. Australia has called region coding a restraint of
    trade.
    Kimba W. Lion, May 30, 2006
    #10
  11. Netmask

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Kimba W. Lion
    <> wrote:

    > Invid Fan <> wrote:
    >
    > >Toho has tried to
    > >keep the original Godzilla out of the US market, refusing to license it.

    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FA4TLQ/kimbwlionscor-20


    First I've heard they were finally going to release it. Thus, my
    comment is now that they have kept it out of the market before this ^_^

    --
    Chris Mack "Refugee, total shit. That's how I've always seen us.
    'Invid Fan' Not a help, you'll admit, to agreement between us."
    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, May 30, 2006
    #11
  12. Netmask

    Justin Guest

    SoHillsGuy wrote on [29 May 2006 12:43:47 -0700]:
    >
    > Justin wrote:
    >> VHS had its own region coding built in for the longest time, with only
    >> North America and Japan being in the same region. Maybe a few smaller
    >> markets.

    >
    >
    > There's no "region coding" in VHS, at least in the same created
    > differences on DVDs. The differences in VHS had everything to do with
    > broadcasted picture lines. Differences in country standards created
    > incompatible tapes. The difference in DVDs is created purely to
    > control the market.


    Well duh. What do you think I was talking about?
    Justin, May 30, 2006
    #12
  13. Netmask

    Justin Guest

    Tarkus wrote on [Mon, 29 May 2006 13:02:05 -0700]:
    > On 5/29/2006 10:36:09 AM, Kimba W. Lion wrote:
    >
    >> Region coding has nothing to do with the quick releases. DVD is where
    >> the money is these days, so that's why they're hot to get things onto
    >> DVD.
    >>
    >> Region coding is stupid, but not from Hollywood's POV. They very much
    >> want to keep US people from sampling what the rest of the world has to
    >> offer.

    >
    > That's not the primary reason. The primary reason is they don't want
    > certain markets getting DVDs before the theatrical releases in those
    > markets.
    >
    > Of course, P2P is somewhat rendering that null and void.


    Hardly.
    Justin, May 30, 2006
    #13
  14. Netmask

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <447b093b$0$7864$>,
    Oldus Fartus <> wrote:
    >Netmask wrote:
    >> Many of my friends now have 3 or even 4 external DVD player/burners
    >> dedicated to a particular region with USA, Europe, South America labels on
    >> each . At around $50 each unit and with one $15 IDE to USB adapter it's a
    >> simple matter to plug/unplug. The whole arrangement of region coding is just
    >> stupid as so many people travel across continents and around the world -
    >> damned if I'm going to keep a dedicated collection of DVD's in my London
    >> office and another in Melbourne..
    >>
    >>

    >
    >You and your friends are exceedingly dimwitted then.
    >
    >Yes, region coding is stupid, but only because it is so easily bypassed,
    >not because it forces Yuppies to buy three or four different DVD
    >player/burners.


    Instead of buying 4 burners, why not just buy one and flash it with RPC1
    modified firmware?
    Mike S., May 30, 2006
    #14
  15. Netmask

    Netmask Guest

    >
    > Instead of buying 4 burners, why not just buy one and flash it with RPC1
    > modified firmware?
    >


    yes that is what I have done, modified every DVD player I have - but there
    are thousands of people, ordinary consumers that can't be bothered with any
    thing perceived as "technical" - they will quite happily 'buy' their
    solution. I don't label people as 'yuppies' or anything else for that matter
    it's none of my business how people including friends spend their money -
    maybe that's an Australian thing not to moralise or care about these
    things - I don't know? Don't care....

    The point is the policy has been passed by with P2P, the cheapness of the
    DVD units and it just doesn't work anymore, not that it ever did for anyone
    who was computer hardware literate.
    Netmask, May 30, 2006
    #15
  16. Netmask

    Goro Guest

    Goro, May 30, 2006
    #16
  17. Netmask

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > SoHillsGuy wrote on [29 May 2006 12:43:47 -0700]:
    > >
    > > Justin wrote:
    > >> VHS had its own region coding built in for the longest time, with only
    > >> North America and Japan being in the same region. Maybe a few smaller
    > >> markets.

    > >
    > >
    > > There's no "region coding" in VHS, at least in the same created
    > > differences on DVDs. The differences in VHS had everything to do with
    > > broadcasted picture lines. Differences in country standards created
    > > incompatible tapes. The difference in DVDs is created purely to
    > > control the market.

    >
    > Well duh. What do you think I was talking about?


    You say it had "region coding." It didn't. It wasn't something "built
    in," as though on purpose. It was just different. Having
    non-compatible broadcast standards is clearly not the same as
    intentionally making things different to control a market. The same
    result, yes. But not the same reasoning behind it, as you seemed to
    imply. If you meant otherwise, then I'm sorry but you used the wrong
    terminology.
    SoHillsGuy, May 30, 2006
    #17
  18. Netmask

    Justin Guest

    SoHillsGuy wrote on [29 May 2006 18:44:18 -0700]:
    >
    > Justin wrote:
    >> SoHillsGuy wrote on [29 May 2006 12:43:47 -0700]:
    >> >
    >> > Justin wrote:
    >> >> VHS had its own region coding built in for the longest time, with only
    >> >> North America and Japan being in the same region. Maybe a few smaller
    >> >> markets.
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > There's no "region coding" in VHS, at least in the same created
    >> > differences on DVDs. The differences in VHS had everything to do with
    >> > broadcasted picture lines. Differences in country standards created
    >> > incompatible tapes. The difference in DVDs is created purely to
    >> > control the market.

    >>
    >> Well duh. What do you think I was talking about?

    >
    > You say it had "region coding." It didn't. It wasn't something "built
    > in," as though on purpose. It was just different. Having
    > non-compatible broadcast standards is clearly not the same as
    > intentionally making things different to control a market. The same
    > result, yes. But not the same reasoning behind it, as you seemed to
    > imply. If you meant otherwise, then I'm sorry but you used the wrong
    > terminology.


    Whether it was intentional or not, it restricted product to certain
    regions.
    Justin, May 30, 2006
    #18
  19. Netmask

    Tarkus Guest

    Tarkus, May 30, 2006
    #19
  20. Netmask

    Justin Guest

    Justin, May 30, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. tim gueguen

    Re: The purpose of dvd region coding?

    tim gueguen, Aug 31, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    613
    Mobutu
    Sep 1, 2003
  2. Mobutu
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    445
    Mobutu
    Aug 31, 2003
  3. keved
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    462
    keved
    Aug 31, 2003
  4. Shouse

    Re: The purpose of dvd region coding?

    Shouse, Sep 2, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    671
    Graham
    Sep 2, 2003
  5. Allan
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    836
    Mutley
    Jan 7, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page