Stupid WinXp question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Adam Cameron, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    G'day.
    I'm based in the UK at present, sometimes I am working with my
    (US-laid-out) laptop keyboard, sometimes with a UK keyboard plugged in
    (just via a USB port, not a docking station).

    I've got the Language Bar set up to be able to select input layouts.

    Now, my brain can work out when to switch keyboard layouts just fine, but
    it seems the Language Bar settings only apply to the currently open
    application window. So, for example, I set this message window to use US
    layout, when I open up some other application, it's back to UK layout
    (which might have been the previous setting used in that app, or something:
    I dunno... almost seems random to me).

    This is beginning to drive me to despair.

    So is there anyway that I can easily tell the PC "LOOK! I'M USING A BLOODY
    UK KEYBOARD AT PRESENT FOR *EVERYTHING*, YOU TWAT, NOT JUST THE CURRENT
    WINDOW!".

    I know this is almost certainly a daft question with an obvious answer, but
    it's got me stumped. I also concede to only having googled for about 15min
    before I got sidelined onto something else.

    Any ideas?

    Cheers.

    --

    Adam
    Adam Cameron, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Adam Cameron

    Adder Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > G'day.
    > I'm based in the UK at present, sometimes I am working with my
    > (US-laid-out) laptop keyboard, sometimes with a UK keyboard plugged in
    > (just via a USB port, not a docking station).
    >
    > I've got the Language Bar set up to be able to select input layouts.
    >
    > Now, my brain can work out when to switch keyboard layouts just fine, but
    > it seems the Language Bar settings only apply to the currently open
    > application window. So, for example, I set this message window to use US
    > layout, when I open up some other application, it's back to UK layout
    > (which might have been the previous setting used in that app, or something:
    > I dunno... almost seems random to me).
    >
    > This is beginning to drive me to despair.
    >
    > So is there anyway that I can easily tell the PC "LOOK! I'M USING A BLOODY
    > UK KEYBOARD AT PRESENT FOR *EVERYTHING*, YOU TWAT, NOT JUST THE CURRENT
    > WINDOW!".

    close alll the apps then reopen thems
    Adder, Mar 16, 2005