    And if not then why do we need WINS?

    Thanks
    Confused in LA

    Not My Real Name, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Not My Real Name

    JaR Guest

    "Not My Real Name" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I know that DNS resolves IP addresses to host names.

    You just answered your own question right here ;-)

    JaR
    Thug #..XXII

    JaR, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Not My Real Name

    Consultant Guest

    not in a windows 2000 environment, dns handles all resolution. you only need
    wins if you are supporting pre-windows 2000 machines in your network.

    --
    Consultant, MCNGP Founding Father
    Lead Thug, Public Enemy #1

    Consultant, Jan 7, 2004
  4. OK, got it. NetBT on W2k server.

    Not My Real Name, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Not My Real Name

    Marko Guest

    And ticking the box "Enable Netbios resolution over
    TCP/IP" helps also.

    Marko, Jan 7, 2004
  6. If the network environment is Windows 2000, then you don't
    need a Wins server to resolve host names, that is what
    exactly happening in your situaation

    I too Don't know, Jan 8, 2004
  7. Not My Real Name

    VOLDAR Guest

    Let's say the following:
    - although Microsoft say that WINS is not needed in an W2K
    environment, from my experience I say it's needed. Only if
    you think about connecting two sites and you'll have the
    answer.

    W2K Pro is based on the DNS resolution when looking for
    resources in the network. So when you type \\server\share,
    on a W2K computer, it's the DNS that responds first.

    If client computer is W9x, and type the same address, the
    WINS is checked first. That's the difference.

    VOLDAR, Jan 10, 2004
  8. Not My Real Name

    Guest Guest

    Until the trojans penetrate your perimeter and find every
    box in it,thanks to NetBios, to dump their payload and OWN
    your network.
    Enjoy!

    Guest, Jan 11, 2004
  9. Firstly think of your name resolution order

    Cache
    WINS
    Broadcast
    Lmhosts
    Hosts
    DNS

    (i use the saying can we buy large hard disks to remember
    this... from net+)

    If you have a win2k server it will act as the master for
    the nbt browse list on your network, and seeing as every
    computer must have a name, the server will hold these
    names and will respond to computers when they broadcast
    with the ip (or mac) address of the machine you are
    trying to communicate with.

    Even if you have no WINS server installed, and you
    haven't installed the netbios protocol on the specific
    adapter; look under tcp/ip properties, goto the advanced
    button, and then have a look under the wins tab. There is
    a netbios setting to be enabled over tcp/ip.

    just to clarify...

    Ashley Wallace, Jan 13, 2004
  10. Not My Real Name

    kit Guest

    It is my belief that wins is for down level clients like
    9.x and NT 4.0. What type of clients do you have?

    kit, Jan 21, 2004
  11. Not My Real Name

    Wolfgang Guest

    DNS is providing this information to you network via the
    reverse lookup, you have PTR record that point to those
    systems.

    Wolfgang, Jan 26, 2004