    asking the gurus. I was also going to assume that the new drives
    would need new power connectors however Western Dig. drives seem to
    come with legacy power ports, which is very kind. Thanks.
    Scribner, Mar 26, 2007

  2. Scribner

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm going to upgrade my system slowly due to the expense. The first
    > to be upgraded will be my hard drives. Since I'm still using my old
    > IDE m/b I'll be using a RAID SATA card to run the new drives. What I
    > want to know is whether or not SATA drives are daisy-chained like EIDE
    > or SCSI drives. My research tells me "no" but I want to make sure by
    > asking the gurus. I was also going to assume that the new drives
    > would need new power connectors however Western Dig. drives seem to
    > come with legacy power ports, which is very kind. Thanks.

    No daisy chain. One cable, one drive.

    A warning about the RAID array though - if you use a PCI card, and then
    change to a motherboard with RAID embedded, you may find that they don't
    read the drives (drivers issue). Of course, a good backup before changing
    the board would be best anyway.
    WhzzKdd, Mar 26, 2007

  3. Scribner

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:37:32 -0700, Scribner wrote:

    >I'm going to upgrade my system slowly due to the expense. The first
    >to be upgraded will be my hard drives. Since I'm still using my old
    >IDE m/b I'll be using a RAID SATA card to run the new drives. What I
    >want to know is whether or not SATA drives are daisy-chained like EIDE
    >or SCSI drives. My research tells me "no" but I want to make sure by
    >asking the gurus. I was also going to assume that the new drives
    >would need new power connectors however Western Dig. drives seem to
    >come with legacy power ports, which is very kind. Thanks.

    SATA is a 1 drive to 1 data cable. 4 SATA connectors on motherboard 4
    SATA drives.

    Power can be,

    a) Dual power connector drives, always handy.
    b) SATA power cables only.
    http://images.tigerdirect.ca/SKUimages/medium/ULT33075-main.jpg
    c) SATA power from legacy cables using adapter
    http://sierra-cables.com/SATA/Images/SATA-Power-Cable-1.jpg

    Me
    why?, Mar 26, 2007
  4. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:14:07 GMT, why?

    >On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:37:32 -0700, Scribner wrote:
    >
    >>I'm going to upgrade my system slowly due to the expense. The first
    >>to be upgraded will be my hard drives. Since I'm still using my old
    >>IDE m/b I'll be using a RAID SATA card to run the new drives. What I
    >>want to know is whether or not SATA drives are daisy-chained like EIDE
    >>or SCSI drives. My research tells me "no" but I want to make sure by
    >>asking the gurus. I was also going to assume that the new drives
    >>would need new power connectors however Western Dig. drives seem to
    >>come with legacy power ports, which is very kind. Thanks.

    >SATA is a 1 drive to 1 data cable. 4 SATA connectors on motherboard 4
    >SATA drives.
    >
    >Power can be,
    >
    >a) Dual power connector drives, always handy.
    >b) SATA power cables only.
    >http://images.tigerdirect.ca/SKUimages/medium/ULT33075-main.jpg
    >c) SATA power from legacy cables using adapter
    >http://sierra-cables.com/SATA/Images/SATA-Power-Cable-1.jpg
    >

    >Me

    Just as I thought. Thanks.
    Scribner, Mar 26, 2007
  5. Scribner

    Kicking Bird Guest

    "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    > I'm going to upgrade my system slowly due to the expense. The first
    > to be upgraded will be my hard drives. Since I'm still using my old
    > IDE m/b I'll be using a RAID SATA card to run the new drives. What I
    > want to know is whether or not SATA drives are daisy-chained like EIDE
    > or SCSI drives. My research tells me "no" but I want to make sure by
    > asking the gurus. I was also going to assume that the new drives
    > would need new power connectors however Western Dig. drives seem to
    > come with legacy power ports, which is very kind. Thanks.

    Are you sure you want to piecemeal upgrade an old machine? You'll end up
    spending more than the cost of a new machine and not have anywhere near the
    performance. You can get a decent new one for $400.

    Give up your beer night and bowling league if money is tight-- or send your
    wife/GF out to earn some quick money...
    Kicking Bird, Mar 26, 2007
  6. Scribner

    doS Guest

    wd sata have molex connectors also

    doS, Mar 27, 2007
  7. Scribner

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:52:24 -0400, doS wrote:

    >wd sata have molex connectors also

    :)

    That's in the OP's post and covered by my (a) in the list

    >> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:37:32 -0700, Scribner wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm going to upgrade my system slowly due to the expense. The first
    >>>to be upgraded will be my hard drives. Since I'm still using my old
    >>>IDE m/b I'll be using a RAID SATA card to run the new drives. What I
    >>>want to know is whether or not SATA drives are daisy-chained like EIDE
    >>>or SCSI drives. My research tells me "no" but I want to make sure by
    >>>asking the gurus. I was also going to assume that the new drives
    >>>would need new power connectors however Western Dig. drives seem to

    <snip>

    why?, Mar 27, 2007
  8. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:03:56 -0400, "Kicking Bird" <redman@tipi>
    wrote:

    >"Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm going to upgrade my system slowly due to the expense. The first
    >> to be upgraded will be my hard drives. Since I'm still using my old
    >> IDE m/b I'll be using a RAID SATA card to run the new drives. What I
    >> want to know is whether or not SATA drives are daisy-chained like EIDE
    >> or SCSI drives. My research tells me "no" but I want to make sure by
    >> asking the gurus. I was also going to assume that the new drives
    >> would need new power connectors however Western Dig. drives seem to
    >> come with legacy power ports, which is very kind. Thanks.

    >Are you sure you want to piecemeal upgrade an old machine? You'll end up
    >spending more than the cost of a new machine and not have anywhere near the
    >performance. You can get a decent new one for $400.
    >
    >Give up your beer night and bowling league if money is tight-- or send your
    >wife/GF out to earn some quick money...

    Well, here is my plan. First, I upgrade my root hard drive to SATA.
    Then I'll install my Vista Ultra. Then, maybe I'll upgrade my other
    hard drives to SATA. Finally, I'll go for the new m/b, CPU, PS and
    memory. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep the rest of my components.
    BTW, I already have the VISTA approved video card.

    A "decent" computer is just cheap crap. I expect my CPU and memory to
    be worth more than $400.00.
    Scribner, Mar 27, 2007
  9. Scribner

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:03:56 -0400, "Kicking Bird" <redman@tipi>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm going to upgrade my system slowly due to the expense. The first
    >>> to be upgraded will be my hard drives. Since I'm still using my old
    >>> IDE m/b I'll be using a RAID SATA card to run the new drives. What I
    >>> want to know is whether or not SATA drives are daisy-chained like EIDE
    >>> or SCSI drives. My research tells me "no" but I want to make sure by
    >>> asking the gurus. I was also going to assume that the new drives
    >>> would need new power connectors however Western Dig. drives seem to
    >>> come with legacy power ports, which is very kind. Thanks.

    >>Are you sure you want to piecemeal upgrade an old machine? You'll end up
    >>spending more than the cost of a new machine and not have anywhere near
    >>the
    >>performance. You can get a decent new one for $400.
    >>
    >>Give up your beer night and bowling league if money is tight-- or send
    >>your
    >>wife/GF out to earn some quick money...
    >>

    > Well, here is my plan. First, I upgrade my root hard drive to SATA.
    > Then I'll install my Vista Ultra. Then, maybe I'll upgrade my other
    > hard drives to SATA. Finally, I'll go for the new m/b, CPU, PS and
    > memory. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep the rest of my components.
    > BTW, I already have the VISTA approved video card.
    >
    > A "decent" computer is just cheap crap. I expect my CPU and memory to
    > be worth more than $400.00.

    Been shopping lately? What CPU? What RAM? How much RAM?

    www.newegg.com - see for yourself.
    WhzzKdd, Mar 27, 2007
  10. Scribner

    kraftee Guest

    Scribner wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:03:56 -0400, "Kicking Bird"
    > <redman@tipi> wrote:
    >
    >>"Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm going to upgrade my system slowly due to the
    >>> expense. The first to be upgraded will be my hard
    >>> drives. Since I'm still using my old IDE m/b I'll be
    >>> using a RAID SATA card to run the new drives. What I
    >>> want to know is whether or not SATA drives are
    >>> daisy-chained like EIDE or SCSI drives. My research
    >>> tells me "no" but I want to make sure by asking the
    >>> gurus. I was also going to assume that the new drives
    >>> would need new power connectors however Western Dig.
    >>> drives seem to come with legacy power ports, which is
    >>> very kind. Thanks.

    >>Are you sure you want to piecemeal upgrade an old
    >>machine? You'll end up spending more than the cost of a
    >>new machine and not have anywhere near the performance.
    >>You can get a decent new one for $400.
    >>
    >>Give up your beer night and bowling league if money is
    >>tight-- or send your wife/GF out to earn some quick
    >>money...
    >>

    > Well, here is my plan. First, I upgrade my root hard
    > drive to SATA. Then I'll install my Vista Ultra. Then,
    > maybe I'll upgrade my other hard drives to SATA.
    > Finally, I'll go for the new m/b, CPU, PS and memory.
    > Hopefully, I'll be able to keep the rest of my
    > components. BTW, I already have the VISTA approved video
    > card.
    >
    > A "decent" computer is just cheap crap. I expect my CPU
    > and memory to be worth more than $400.00.

    One question, why upgrade your computer just so you can ruin all your
    work by putting Vista on it?

    I tried it & just sitting there doing nothing (& after turning most of
    the pretty bits off) still used over 25% of my 2Gig Ram & when I
    started to use it it was slower than XP by a wide margin. Pentium
    Dual core processor, 2 Gig ram 500Gig sata raid, 256 PCIE graphics
    card etc so it was well inside the supposed parameters required.

    If you're a masochist go ahead but if you want to see an improvement
    stick with XP or Windows 2000 or you won't see any improvement for any
    money you might spend. Vista is a resource hungry, smoke & mirrors
    job so don't be fooled by any hype, or anybody who doesn't know
    better, like the experts who have been running it for 2 weeks & never
    had a problem etc...
    kraftee, Mar 28, 2007
  11. Scribner

    ed Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:55:01 -0700, Scribner wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:03:56 -0400, "Kicking Bird" <redman@tipi> wrote:
    >
    >>"Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm going to upgrade my system slowly due to the expense. The first to
    >>> be upgraded will be my hard drives. Since I'm still using my old IDE
    >>> m/b I'll be using a RAID SATA card to run the new drives. What I want
    >>> to know is whether or not SATA drives are daisy-chained like EIDE or
    >>> SCSI drives. My research tells me "no" but I want to make sure by
    >>> asking the gurus. I was also going to assume that the new drives would
    >>> need new power connectors however Western Dig. drives seem to come with
    >>> legacy power ports, which is very kind. Thanks.

    >>Are you sure you want to piecemeal upgrade an old machine? You'll end up
    >>spending more than the cost of a new machine and not have anywhere near
    >>the performance. You can get a decent new one for $400.
    >>
    >>Give up your beer night and bowling league if money is tight-- or send
    >>your wife/GF out to earn some quick money...
    >>

    > Well, here is my plan. First, I upgrade my root hard drive to SATA. Then
    > I'll install my Vista Ultra. Then, maybe I'll upgrade my other hard
    > drives to SATA. Finally, I'll go for the new m/b, CPU, PS and memory.
    > Hopefully, I'll be able to keep the rest of my components. BTW, I already
    > have the VISTA approved video card.
    >
    > A "decent" computer is just cheap crap. I expect my CPU and memory to be
    > worth more than $400.00.

    What is it that plan to do with Vista Ultimate that you can't do with say
    XP? I'm on a Linux box but I have Vista Ultimate on the other box. So far
    I could have done everything with XP or with Linux that I need to do.
    Could have saved the money and saved it for the laptop I want.

    Top
    ed, Mar 28, 2007
  12. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:58:57 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >"Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:03:56 -0400, "Kicking Bird" <redman@tipi>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>Are you sure you want to piecemeal upgrade an old machine? You'll end up
    >>>spending more than the cost of a new machine and not have anywhere near
    >>>the
    >>>performance. You can get a decent new one for $400.
    >>>
    >>>Give up your beer night and bowling league if money is tight-- or send
    >>>your
    >>>wife/GF out to earn some quick money...
    >>>

    >> Well, here is my plan. First, I upgrade my root hard drive to SATA.
    >> Then I'll install my Vista Ultra. Then, maybe I'll upgrade my other
    >> hard drives to SATA. Finally, I'll go for the new m/b, CPU, PS and
    >> memory. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep the rest of my components.
    >> BTW, I already have the VISTA approved video card.
    >>
    >> A "decent" computer is just cheap crap. I expect my CPU and memory to
    >> be worth more than $400.00.

    >Been shopping lately? What CPU? What RAM? How much RAM?
    >
    >www.newegg.com - see for yourself.

    Abit AW9D-MAX $200 with tax

    Intel BX80553930 Intel Pentium D 930 Dual Core 3GHz 800MHz 2x2MB
    LGA775 CPU $150.00

    Kingston Technology KVR800D2N5K2/2G Kingston 2GB KIT DDR2-800 PC2-6400
    $250.00 each, time two.

    I'm up to $850.00, so far. But I haven't been shopping around.
    Scribner, Mar 29, 2007
  13. Scribner

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:58:57 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    > <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>"Scribner" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well, here is my plan. First, I upgrade my root hard drive to SATA.
    >>> Then I'll install my Vista Ultra. Then, maybe I'll upgrade my other
    >>> hard drives to SATA. Finally, I'll go for the new m/b, CPU, PS and
    >>> memory. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep the rest of my components.
    >>> BTW, I already have the VISTA approved video card.
    >>>
    >>> A "decent" computer is just cheap crap. I expect my CPU and memory to
    >>> be worth more than $400.00.

    >>Been shopping lately? What CPU? What RAM? How much RAM?
    >>
    >>www.newegg.com - see for yourself.
    >>

    > Abit AW9D-MAX $200 with tax
    >
    > Intel BX80553930 Intel Pentium D 930 Dual Core 3GHz 800MHz 2x2MB
    > LGA775 CPU $150.00
    >
    > Kingston Technology KVR800D2N5K2/2G Kingston 2GB KIT DDR2-800 PC2-6400
    > $250.00 each, time two.
    >
    > I'm up to $850.00, so far. But I haven't been shopping around.

    If that's your current equipment, then why are you worried about upgrading?
    Geez...
    WhzzKdd, Mar 29, 2007
  14. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:47:19 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >"Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:58:57 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    >> <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Scribner" <> wrote in message

    >>>Been shopping lately? What CPU? What RAM? How much RAM?
    >>>
    >>>www.newegg.com - see for yourself.
    >>>

    >> Abit AW9D-MAX $200 with tax
    >>
    >> Intel BX80553930 Intel Pentium D 930 Dual Core 3GHz 800MHz 2x2MB
    >> LGA775 CPU $150.00
    >>
    >> Kingston Technology KVR800D2N5K2/2G Kingston 2GB KIT DDR2-800 PC2-6400
    >> $250.00 each, time two.
    >>
    >> I'm up to $850.00, so far. But I haven't been shopping around.

    >If that's your current equipment, then why are you worried about upgrading?
    >Geez...

    No, that's what I'm going to upgrade to. What I have now is probably
    equal to the "decent" $400.00 mentioned above. On second thought, no.
    My video card cost about $200.00.
    Scribner, Mar 29, 2007