    as far as you transfer into PIctureProject..and do editing (and whatever) in
    Capture?

    So much to learn....

    TSKO, Feb 11, 2007

  2. On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:05:56 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "TSKO"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Nikin d50 w/ PictureProject.
    >
    >I know that is the basic of basics for what it does....and I am looking into
    >getting Capture NX...does that totally replace PIctureProject as you can
    >hook up the ole camera to the computer and transfer pictures into Capture
    >and do all your editing there? Or do they work in conjunction w/ each other
    >as far as you transfer into PIctureProject..and do editing (and whatever) in
    >Capture?

    First you do not need any software to simply transfer files from the D50 to
    your PC, the D50 will connect as a removable drive. I've never used PP with
    any of my 4 Nikon cameras, so I can't talk to it's organizer function and
    NX's if it has one. If all you want is more control over the raw conversion
    process, you can still get a free copy of RSE at:
    http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.asp
    which does support the D50. However RSE is simple a free raw conversion
    program and can not crop or do other "editing" functions.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 11, 2007

  3. TSKO

    C J Campbell Guest

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:05:56 -0800, TSKO wrote
    (in article <8rMzh.21476$>):

    > Okay, I am going to ask a potentially stupid question..
    >
    > I have a Nikin d50 w/ PictureProject.
    >
    > I know that is the basic of basics for what it does....and I am looking into
    > getting Capture NX...does that totally replace PIctureProject as you can
    > hook up the ole camera to the computer and transfer pictures into Capture
    > and do all your editing there? Or do they work in conjunction w/ each other
    > as far as you transfer into PIctureProject..and do editing (and whatever) in
    > Capture?
    >
    > So much to learn....

    In addition to what Ed pointed out, it is probably better to just buy a
    memory card reader and attach it to your computer instead of using
    the camera. Then you aren't running the batteries down on your camera.

    Any software will read the camera or the memory card. Your computer just
    thinks it is another disk drive. You can even use your camera like a USB
    flash memory stick to transfer files to another computer.

    Nikon Capture NX stands alone and does not need any other software, including
    Picture Project. For a discussion of how Capture compares to other software
    when processing NEF files, see

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2cya2d

    The Nikonians offer considerable support for Nikon users such as yourself,
    including a whole forum devoted to the D40 and 50. There are people here who
    do not like the Nikonians,though, largely because they got tossed out for
    being disruptive (meaning too critical of Nikon). But you can learn a lot
    from these guys.

    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor