    the motherboard?

    cheers

    rob
    Rob, Oct 31, 2005

  2. Rob

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:32:03 +1300, Rob <> wrote:

    >I'm fixing a P4 for someone where the heatsink has come loose. The
    >cause was a couple of lugs from the plastic cradle that is attached to
    >the motherboard had broken. The question is, do replacement heatsinks
    >come with that cradle or do I get a heatsink that attaches directly to
    >the motherboard?
    >

    >cheers
    >
    >rob

    All the ones that I have seen use the fitted Cradle..

    I would say some one has forces it and broken the lugs

    Find a Computer Shop that has a Dud board, the Cradle might fit..
    XP, Oct 31, 2005

  3. Rob

    Allistar Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > I'm fixing a P4 for someone where the heatsink has come loose. The
    > cause was a couple of lugs from the plastic cradle that is attached to
    > the motherboard had broken. The question is, do replacement heatsinks
    > come with that cradle or do I get a heatsink that attaches directly to
    > the motherboard?
    >

    > cheers
    >
    > rob

    I have a P4PE and the heatsink from the northbrige cip has come off. It's
    held down by two rounded staples (look kind of like the kind you see in
    forming fence posts, only smaller). The computer still runs fine though, so
    I'm no bothered.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 31, 2005
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    >

    >>I'm fixing a P4 for someone where the heatsink has come loose. The
    >>cause was a couple of lugs from the plastic cradle that is attached to
    >>the motherboard had broken. The question is, do replacement heatsinks
    >>come with that cradle or do I get a heatsink that attaches directly to
    >>the motherboard?
    >>

    >>cheers
    >>
    >>rob

    > I have a P4PE and the heatsink from the northbrige cip has come off. It's
    > held down by two rounded staples (look kind of like the kind you see in
    > forming fence posts, only smaller). The computer still runs fine though, so
    > I'm no bothered.
    >
    > Allistar.

    A lot of northbridges will cope without heatsinks, in the short term at
    least.

    This problem was a little more subtle in that the thermal tape on the
    heatsink kept it almost in place. The result was random lockups as the
    temp crept up. It wasn't noticeable as the temp dropped during a
    reboot. I think the cradle was damaged from new, with the tape giving
    way over time.

    Rob
    Rob, Oct 31, 2005
  5. Rob

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:31:00 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:

    >Rob wrote:
    >
    >> I'm fixing a P4 for someone where the heatsink has come loose. The
    >> cause was a couple of lugs from the plastic cradle that is attached to
    >> the motherboard had broken. The question is, do replacement heatsinks
    >> come with that cradle or do I get a heatsink that attaches directly to
    >> the motherboard?
    >>

    >> cheers
    >>
    >> rob

    >I have a P4PE and the heatsink from the northbrige cip has come off. It's
    >held down by two rounded staples (look kind of like the kind you see in
    >forming fence posts, only smaller). The computer still runs fine though, so
    >I'm no bothered.
    >
    >Allistar.

    Yes at a far slower speed, as the P4 has heat throttling..

    Not a very wise move at all..
    XP, Oct 31, 2005
  6. Rob

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:33:41 +1300, Rob <> wrote:

    >Allistar wrote:
    >> Rob wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm fixing a P4 for someone where the heatsink has come loose. The
    >>>cause was a couple of lugs from the plastic cradle that is attached to
    >>>the motherboard had broken. The question is, do replacement heatsinks
    >>>come with that cradle or do I get a heatsink that attaches directly to
    >>>the motherboard?
    >>>

    >>>cheers
    >>>
    >>>rob

    >> I have a P4PE and the heatsink from the northbrige cip has come off. It's
    >> held down by two rounded staples (look kind of like the kind you see in
    >> forming fence posts, only smaller). The computer still runs fine though, so
    >> I'm no bothered.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    >A lot of northbridges will cope without heatsinks, in the short term at
    >least.

    Do They...?

    XP, Oct 31, 2005
  7. Rob

    Rob Guest

    >>A lot of northbridges will cope without heatsinks, in the short term at
    >>least.

    > Do They...?
    >

    > Yes at a far slower speed, as the P4 has heat throttling..
    >
    > Not a very wise move at all..

    I didn't say how short "short term" was. :) Perhaps I should have said
    older northbridges. I agree though, not wise.

    Rob
    Rob, Oct 31, 2005
  8. On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:32:03 +1300, Rob <> wrote in

    > I'm fixing a P4 for someone where the heatsink has come loose. The
    > cause was a couple of lugs from the plastic cradle that is attached to
    > the motherboard had broken. The question is, do replacement heatsinks
    > come with that cradle or do I get a heatsink that attaches directly to
    > the motherboard?
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > rob

    The heatsink cradle for a P4 is normally part of the motherboard assembly.

    If you would care to contact me per E-Mail with an address, I have a spare
    P4 heatsink cradle from a faulty motherboard that I can send you.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    raptor740
    [curlything]
    gmail
    [littledot]
    com

    .... Adults are obsolete children.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 31, 2005
  9. Rob

    Allistar Guest

    XP wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:31:00 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Rob wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm fixing a P4 for someone where the heatsink has come loose. The
    >>> cause was a couple of lugs from the plastic cradle that is attached to
    >>> the motherboard had broken. The question is, do replacement heatsinks
    >>> come with that cradle or do I get a heatsink that attaches directly to
    >>> the motherboard?
    >>>

    >>> cheers
    >>>
    >>> rob

    >>I have a P4PE and the heatsink from the northbrige cip has come off. It's
    >>held down by two rounded staples (look kind of like the kind you see in
    >>forming fence posts, only smaller). The computer still runs fine though,
    >>so I'm no bothered.
    >>
    >>Allistar.

    > Yes at a far slower speed, as the P4 has heat throttling..
    >
    > Not a very wise move at all..

    How does one tell if the chip is currently being throttled?

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 31, 2005
  10. Rob

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:51:08 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:

    >>>I have a P4PE and the heatsink from the northbrige cip has come off. It's
    >>>held down by two rounded staples (look kind of like the kind you see in
    >>>forming fence posts, only smaller). The computer still runs fine though,
    >>>so I'm no bothered.
    >>>
    >>>Allistar.

    >> Yes at a far slower speed, as the P4 has heat throttling..
    >>
    >> Not a very wise move at all..

    >How does one tell if the chip is currently being throttled?
    >
    >Allistar.

    There has been a lot of talk on web sites about this, have a search on Google,
    from memory it cuts in at 70c core temp
    XP, Oct 31, 2005
  11. Rob

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:51:08 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:

    >>>I have a P4PE and the heatsink from the northbrige cip has come off. It's
    >>>held down by two rounded staples (look kind of like the kind you see in
    >>>forming fence posts, only smaller). The computer still runs fine though,
    >>>so I'm no bothered.
    >>>
    >>>Allistar.

    >> Yes at a far slower speed, as the P4 has heat throttling..
    >>
    >> Not a very wise move at all..

    >How does one tell if the chip is currently being throttled?
    >
    >Allistar.

    I don't know if this is any good as it was the first hit on Google

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/104
    XP, Oct 31, 2005
  12. Rob

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:51:08 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:

    >>>I have a P4PE and the heatsink from the northbrige cip has come off. It's
    >>>held down by two rounded staples (look kind of like the kind you see in
    >>>forming fence posts, only smaller). The computer still runs fine though,
    >>>so I'm no bothered.
    >>>
    >>>Allistar.

    >> Yes at a far slower speed, as the P4 has heat throttling..
    >>
    >> Not a very wise move at all..

    >How does one tell if the chip is currently being throttled?
    >
    >Allistar.

    I don't know if this is any good as it was the first hit on Google

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/104

    This link works

    http://www.panopsys.com/Downloads.html
    XP, Oct 31, 2005
  13. Rob

    Allistar Guest

    XP wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:51:08 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    >>XP wrote:

    >>> Yes at a far slower speed, as the P4 has heat throttling..
    >>>
    >>> Not a very wise move at all..

    >>How does one tell if the chip is currently being throttled?
    >>
    >>Allistar.

    > There has been a lot of talk on web sites about this, have a search on
    > Google,
    > from memory it cuts in at 70c core temp

    Note that I'm talking abount the northbridge heatsink, not the CPU heatsink.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 31, 2005
  14. Rob

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:10:36 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:

    >>>How does one tell if the chip is currently being throttled?
    >>>
    >>>Allistar.

    >> There has been a lot of talk on web sites about this, have a search on
    >> Google,
    >> from memory it cuts in at 70c core temp

    >Note that I'm talking abount the northbridge heatsink, not the CPU heatsink.
    >
    >Allistar.

    I thought we were on about CPU heat sinks..

    There are 2 models of Northbridge heat sinks that you can buy, I have one
    here, never used, as I was having problems with my small fitted fan..

    Problem was you had to take the MoBo out to fit it from memory

    These are the 2 I am on about

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=117199

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=109892
    XP, Oct 31, 2005
  15. Rob

    Allistar Guest

    XP wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:10:36 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    >>XP wrote:

    >>> There has been a lot of talk on web sites about this, have a search on
    >>> Google,
    >>> from memory it cuts in at 70c core temp

    >>Note that I'm talking abount the northbridge heatsink, not the CPU
    >>heatsink.
    >>
    >>Allistar.

    > I thought we were on about CPU heat sinks..
    >
    > There are 2 models of Northbridge heat sinks that you can buy, I have
    > one here, never used, as I was having problems with my small fitted fan..
    >
    > Problem was you had to take the MoBo out to fit it from memory
    >
    > These are the 2 I am on about
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=117199
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=109892

    The clock speed is as expected (~2400MHz). I've ordered a northbridge
    heatsink anyway - they're not expensive.

    Thanks,
    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 31, 2005
  16. Rob

    ~misfit~ Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:10:36 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    >> XP wrote:

    >>> There has been a lot of talk on web sites about this, have a search
    >>> on Google,
    >>> from memory it cuts in at 70c core temp

    >> Note that I'm talking abount the northbridge heatsink, not the CPU
    >> heatsink.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > I thought we were on about CPU heat sinks..

    And yet the last eight or so posts that you replied to clearly stated they
    were talking about northbridge heatsinks. I was wondering where you were
    getting your info from concerning northbridges having thermal-throttling
    capablities.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 31, 2005
  17. Rob

    John Guest

    On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 03:27:11 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > XP wrote:

    >>> Note that I'm talking abount the northbridge heatsink, not the CPU
    >>> heatsink.
    >>>
    >>> Allistar.

    >> I thought we were on about CPU heat sinks..

    > And yet the last eight or so posts that you replied to clearly stated they
    > were talking about northbridge heatsinks. I was wondering where you were
    > getting your info from concerning northbridges having thermal-throttling
    > capablities.

    The original post didn't mention Northbridge heatsinks, only later in
    the thread did someone else mention Northbridge heatsinks.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Oct 31, 2005
  18. Rob

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John wrote:
    > On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 03:27:11 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> XP wrote:
    >>> I thought we were on about CPU heat sinks..

    >> And yet the last eight or so posts that you replied to clearly
    >> stated they were talking about northbridge heatsinks. I was
    >> wondering where you were getting your info from concerning
    >> northbridges having thermal-throttling capablities.

    > The original post didn't mention Northbridge heatsinks, only later in
    > the thread did someone else mention Northbridge heatsinks.

    Yep, I realise that John. :) However, after the converstaion changed to be
    about NB HS's Roger continued to ignore what was written, what he was
    replying to, and kept on about thermal throttling. My point was you have to
    wonder about information given by someone who doen't even know what is being
    talked about. Someone could have taken his word that NB's have thermal
    throttling and left a NB naked and have it burn up. Extreme example I know
    but, advice given in groups such as this is only valuable if it's accurate.
    The way to ensure it is is to mention when someone is giving what is plainly
    totally wrong info out. Peer review.

    Maybe I should just killfile him again (I re-installed recently and lost
    about 40 iterations of Roger Sheppard in my killfile). However,
    misinformation could cost a newbie to the group a lot of money.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 1, 2005
  19. Rob

    John Guest

    On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:59:52 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > John wrote:

    >>> And yet the last eight or so posts that you replied to clearly
    >>> stated they were talking about northbridge heatsinks. I was
    >>> wondering where you were getting your info from concerning
    >>> northbridges having thermal-throttling capablities.

    >> The original post didn't mention Northbridge heatsinks, only later in
    >> the thread did someone else mention Northbridge heatsinks.

    > Yep, I realise that John. :) However, after the converstaion changed to be
    > about NB HS's Roger continued to ignore what was written, what he was
    > replying to, and kept on about thermal throttling. My point was you have to
    > wonder about information given by someone who doen't even know what is being
    > talked about. Someone could have taken his word that NB's have thermal
    > throttling and left a NB naked and have it burn up. Extreme example I know
    > but, advice given in groups such as this is only valuable if it's accurate.
    > The way to ensure it is is to mention when someone is giving what is plainly
    > totally wrong info out. Peer review.
    >
    > Maybe I should just killfile him again (I re-installed recently and lost
    > about 40 iterations of Roger Sheppard in my killfile). However,
    > misinformation could cost a newbie to the group a lot of money.

    The fact remains that the original posting Roger replied too didn't
    mention northbridge heatsinks. Once he realised his mistake he
    admitted that he was mistaken.

    How many times is this that you've placed Roger into your killfile but
    still manage to reply to nearly all his postings.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Nov 1, 2005
  20. Rob

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 15:16:13 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:59:52 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> John wrote:

    >>> The original post didn't mention Northbridge heatsinks, only later in
    >>> the thread did someone else mention Northbridge heatsinks.

    >> Yep, I realise that John. :) However, after the converstaion changed to be
    >> about NB HS's Roger continued to ignore what was written, what he was
    >> replying to, and kept on about thermal throttling. My point was you have to
    >> wonder about information given by someone who doen't even know what is being
    >> talked about. Someone could have taken his word that NB's have thermal
    >> throttling and left a NB naked and have it burn up. Extreme example I know
    >> but, advice given in groups such as this is only valuable if it's accurate.
    >> The way to ensure it is is to mention when someone is giving what is plainly
    >> totally wrong info out. Peer review.
    >>
    >> Maybe I should just killfile him again (I re-installed recently and lost
    >> about 40 iterations of Roger Sheppard in my killfile). However,
    >> misinformation could cost a newbie to the group a lot of money.

    >The fact remains that the original posting Roger replied too didn't
    >mention northbridge heatsinks. Once he realised his mistake he
    >admitted that he was mistaken.
    >
    >How many times is this that you've placed Roger into your killfile but
    >still manage to reply to nearly all his postings.
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    This chap did not even read my posts at all, one of my first comments that
    this was not wise thing to do..

    I have been in the Computer trade far longer that any one here and fully
    Trained as a Mini & Main Frame computer Engineer, even got my name in the Dom
    for one of my developments

    The Problem here is that you are dealing with Idiots or Thick Heads that just
    don't have a clue, this is what I find with most posts here..
    XP, Nov 1, 2005