Stupid question - PAP2T UK

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Michael, Sep 18, 2007.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Folks - me again.

    I'm really not that bright technically - but I manage if you know what
    I mean.

    I have replaced my SPA1001 for a PAP2T UK (unlocked) - the idea is to
    have two physical phone lines side by side to allow my daughter to have
    her own physical and independent phone line that she can run at the
    same time as the normal house phone is used by the rest of us.

    Prior to the decision to buy the PAP2T - i saw the following .....

    Linksys SPA Series Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) Comparison Chart
    Model SPA1001 - Service Lines 2 - Active Calls 2 - 3-Way Call 1 -
    Conferences 1 - Network Ports 1

    Model PAP2T Service Lines 2 - Active Calls 4 - 3-Way Call 2 - Network
    Ports 2

    It was the active calls at 4 that swung it coupled with the fact it
    provided two physical lines / RJ11 connections.

    I have been able to set up the device to allow one account per line -
    but cannot for the life of me work out how I can have 4 active calls if
    I can only register with two VoIP providers at any one time - the
    device only caters for two lines (as did the SPA1001 -though it had
    only one physical RJ port).

    I was hoping to be able to utilise both my Voip.co.uk AND my Sipgate
    account on line 1 and have my daughter with her own separate account on
    line 2 - but cannot see how this can be done.

    I have upgraded the device to the latest firmware.

    Any advice would be appreciated (in simple English please).

    Thanks

    Mick

    Michael, Sep 18, 2007

  2. Michael

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:34:17 GMT, "Michael" <> wrote:

    >Folks - me again.
    >
    >I'm really not that bright technically - but I manage if you know what
    >I mean.
    >
    >I have replaced my SPA1001 for a PAP2T UK (unlocked) - the idea is to
    >have two physical phone lines side by side to allow my daughter to have
    >her own physical and independent phone line that she can run at the
    >same time as the normal house phone is used by the rest of us.
    >
    >Prior to the decision to buy the PAP2T - i saw the following .....
    >
    >Linksys SPA Series Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) Comparison Chart
    >Model SPA1001 - Service Lines 2 - Active Calls 2 - 3-Way Call 1 -
    >Conferences 1 - Network Ports 1
    >
    >Model PAP2T Service Lines 2 - Active Calls 4 - 3-Way Call 2 - Network
    >Ports 2
    >
    >It was the active calls at 4 that swung it coupled with the fact it
    >provided two physical lines / RJ11 connections.
    >
    >I have been able to set up the device to allow one account per line -
    >but cannot for the life of me work out how I can have 4 active calls if
    >I can only register with two VoIP providers at any one time - the
    >device only caters for two lines (as did the SPA1001 -though it had
    >only one physical RJ port).
    >
    >I was hoping to be able to utilise both my Voip.co.uk AND my Sipgate
    >account on line 1 and have my daughter with her own separate account on
    >line 2 - but cannot see how this can be done.

    If you are wanting to receive calls from both Sipgate and voip.co.uk
    on a single line - you can't! It would mean being able to register
    both and there ain't provision for that.
    If you want to receive calls on one provider and make calls via both,
    on a single line - again you can't unless, in the dial plan, it allows
    provider host, username and password to be entered as is supposed to
    work with the SPA-3000 but it doesn't. Hence I don't think you would
    get that working - unless someone here knows to the contrary.
    For what you want to do you could use voxalot.com For free you can
    have as many outgoing providers as you wish but you have to pay now to
    register a provider (for your incoming calls). For just a single
    provider, on one account, it is US$15/year (£7.45)
    You would then register voxalot on your PAP2. Voxalot has a good
    voicemail and has selective call forwarding. That means that you can
    send some callers direct to voicemail and you can stop all calls
    between certain hours. So, you can do quite a lot of things for your
    money. I find the eu.voxalot.com server to be reliable.
    If you have a voiptalk number it is possible to direct that number to
    voxalot and avoid paying for registration. Just simply direct the
    voiptalk number to your voxalot sip account.
    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Get your friends to sign too!
    TV.
    ---

    Brian A, Sep 18, 2007

  3. Michael

    Jono Guest

    Michael formulated on Tuesday :
    > Folks - me again.
    >
    > I'm really not that bright technically - but I manage if you know what
    > I mean.
    >
    > I have replaced my SPA1001 for a PAP2T UK (unlocked) - the idea is to
    > have two physical phone lines side by side to allow my daughter to have
    > her own physical and independent phone line that she can run at the
    > same time as the normal house phone is used by the rest of us.
    >
    > Prior to the decision to buy the PAP2T - i saw the following .....
    >
    > Linksys SPA Series Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) Comparison Chart
    > Model SPA1001 - Service Lines 2 - Active Calls 2 - 3-Way Call 1 -
    > Conferences 1 - Network Ports 1
    >
    > Model PAP2T Service Lines 2 - Active Calls 4 - 3-Way Call 2 - Network
    > Ports 2

    I can only think that it refers to the number of "three-way" conference
    calls you can have. the PAP2 can, indeed, set up 4 calls and conference
    them with the two handsets - admittedly there would be 2 x separate
    conferences of 3.

    > It was the active calls at 4 that swung it coupled with the fact it
    > provided two physical lines / RJ11 connections.

    Not 4 separate calls, though.

    > I have been able to set up the device to allow one account per line -
    > but cannot for the life of me work out how I can have 4 active calls if
    > I can only register with two VoIP providers at any one time - the
    > device only caters for two lines (as did the SPA1001 -though it had
    > only one physical RJ port).

    Because you can't.

    > I was hoping to be able to utilise both my Voip.co.uk AND my Sipgate
    > account on line 1 and have my daughter with her own separate account on
    > line 2 - but cannot see how this can be done.

    For that, I would suggest making use of the services of Voxalot, if
    possible.

    Using Voxalot, their server would register to both Sipgate(*) &
    voip.co.uk, in turn, your device would register with voxalot's server,
    allowing you to use either provider on Line One - as far as the PAP2
    would be concerned, it would only see Voxalot.

    (*)..........I think I recall, though, that Sipgate don't allow Voxalot
    .....If they don't, without something like a Fritz!box or a Linksys
    SPA8000, I'm not sure what to suggest, other than setting yourself up
    with an Asterisk PBX...

    could you not get a 2nd number from voip.co.uk & bin Sipgate?

    Jono, Sep 18, 2007
  4. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > Michael formulated on Tuesday :
    > > Folks - me again.
    > >
    > > I'm really not that bright technically - but I manage if you know
    > > what I mean.
    > >
    > > I have replaced my SPA1001 for a PAP2T UK (unlocked) - the idea is
    > > to have two physical phone lines side by side to allow my daughter
    > > to have her own physical and independent phone line that she can
    > > run at the same time as the normal house phone is used by the rest
    > > of us.
    > >
    > > Prior to the decision to buy the PAP2T - i saw the following .....
    > >
    > > Linksys SPA Series Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) Comparison
    > > Chart Model SPA1001 - Service Lines 2 - Active Calls 2 - 3-Way
    > > Call 1 - Conferences 1 - Network Ports 1 Model PAP2T Service
    > > Lines 2 - Active Calls 4 - 3-Way Call 2 - Network Ports 2

    > I can only think that it refers to the number of "three-way"
    > conference calls you can have. the PAP2 can, indeed, set up 4 calls
    > and conference them with the two handsets - admittedly there would be
    > 2 x separate conferences of 3.
    >
    > > It was the active calls at 4 that swung it coupled with the fact it
    > > provided two physical lines / RJ11 connections.

    > Not 4 separate calls, though.
    >

    > > I have been able to set up the device to allow one account per line
    > > - but cannot for the life of me work out how I can have 4 active
    > > calls if I can only register with two VoIP providers at any one
    > > time - the device only caters for two lines (as did the SPA1001
    > > -though it had only one physical RJ port).

    > Because you can't.
    >
    > > I was hoping to be able to utilise both my Voip.co.uk AND my Sipgate
    > > account on line 1 and have my daughter with her own separate
    > > account on line 2 - but cannot see how this can be done.

    > For that, I would suggest making use of the services of Voxalot, if
    > possible.
    >
    > Using Voxalot, their server would register to both Sipgate(*) &
    > voip.co.uk, in turn, your device would register with voxalot's
    > server, allowing you to use either provider on Line One - as far as
    > the PAP2 would be concerned, it would only see Voxalot.
    >
    > (*)..........I think I recall, though, that Sipgate don't allow
    > Voxalot ....If they don't, without something like a Fritz!box or a
    > Linksys SPA8000, I'm not sure what to suggest, other than setting
    > yourself up with an Asterisk PBX...
    >
    > could you not get a 2nd number from voip.co.uk & bin Sipgate?
    >
    > > I have upgraded the device to the latest firmware.
    > >
    > > Any advice would be appreciated (in simple English please).
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Mick

    Folks - many thanks. It had to be too good to be true - but at least I
    have two physical lines.

    Thanks for the quick feedback.

    Regards

    Mick

    Michael, Sep 18, 2007
  5. Michael

    Tim Guest

    Michael wrote:
    > I have been able to set up the device to allow one account per line -
    > but cannot for the life of me work out how I can have 4 active calls if
    > I can only register with two VoIP providers at any one time -

    It is possible to make more than 1 call at the same time through the
    same service provider on one port. Just put the call on hold and dial
    again (I forget the *codes to do this, but it is possible)

    > the
    > device only caters for two lines (as did the SPA1001 -though it had
    > only one physical RJ port).

    You have struck on the main advantage of the SPA-1001 - 2 SIP accounts
    on the same physical phone. No other ATA does this.

    Although it is standard with none ATA devices such as any Snom phone or
    Siemens S450IP.

    > I was hoping to be able to utilise both my Voip.co.uk AND my Sipgate
    > account on line 1 and have my daughter with her own separate account on
    > line 2 - but cannot see how this can be done.

    Maybe you should have bought a Siemens S450IP + S45 additional handset
    This allows for 6 SIP accounts, which you can share out between the
    handsets as you please.

    Tim

    Tim, Sep 18, 2007
  6. Michael

    Michael Guest

    --

    > It is possible to make more than 1 call at the same time through the
    > same service provider on one port. Just put the call on hold and
    > dial again (I forget the *codes to do this, but it is possible)

    Ah - that's a good idea - hadn't thought of that .....

    whilst were at it ..... the advertising blurb states it caters for
    music on hold .... any idea how to do that??

    Mick

    Michael, Sep 19, 2007
  7. Michael

    Roger Mills Guest

    Michael <> wrote:

    > Folks - many thanks. It had to be too good to be true - but at least
    > I have two physical lines.

    Or possibly 3 if your BB is over a BT line rather than cable. [I'm not sure
    what you were referring to as the 'normal house phone' in your first post -
    is this on a BT line, or just the other VoIP line?]

    FWIW, my wife and I each have one port on our PAP2T, each with its own
    number, allocated by voip.co.uk We make virtually all of our outgoing calls
    over VoIP, and keep the BT line mainly for incoming calls. We use our BT
    number as the outgoing Caller ID on the VoIP lines, so that anyone 'ringing
    back' automatically comes in on the BT line. We each have a 2-line phone,
    with one line connected to BT and the other to VoIP.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Sep 19, 2007
  8. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Roger Mills wrote:

    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Michael <> wrote:
    >

    > > Folks - many thanks. It had to be too good to be true - but at
    > > least I have two physical lines.
    > >

    > Or possibly 3 if your BB is over a BT line rather than cable. [I'm
    > not sure what you were referring to as the 'normal house phone' in
    > your first post - is this on a BT line, or just the other VoIP line?]
    >
    > FWIW, my wife and I each have one port on our PAP2T, each with its
    > own number, allocated by voip.co.uk We make virtually all of our
    > outgoing calls over VoIP, and keep the BT line mainly for incoming
    > calls. We use our BT number as the outgoing Caller ID on the VoIP
    > lines, so that anyone 'ringing back' automatically comes in on the BT
    > line. We each have a 2-line phone, with one line connected to BT and
    > the other to VoIP.

    Sorry Roger -it's an issue of VoIP being the 'norm' - by house phone I
    meant the voip.co.uk phone line - we have been using it as the 'house
    phone' now for some considerable time. We have mobiles as backup should
    the worst happen.

    As a PAP2 user - do you have knowledge as to how to achieve music on
    hold - or even how to put a call on hold in the first place!?

    Mick

    Michael, Sep 19, 2007
  9. Michael

    Jono Guest

    Michael expressed precisely :

    > As a PAP2 user - do you have knowledge as to how to achieve music on
    > hold - or even how to put a call on hold in the first place!?

    You would enter the IP address of a MOH streaming server to play Music
    on Hold - I had a cursory google for one....and drew a blank, though.

    Pressing the R key on a connected handset should put a caller on hold &
    give you a second dial tone.

    Jono, Sep 19, 2007
  10. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > Michael expressed precisely :
    >

    > > As a PAP2 user - do you have knowledge as to how to achieve music
    > > on hold - or even how to put a call on hold in the first place!?

    > You would enter the IP address of a MOH streaming server to play
    > Music on Hold - I had a cursory google for one....and drew a blank,
    > though.
    >
    > Pressing the R key on a connected handset should put a caller on hold
    > & give you a second dial tone.

    I searched music on hold as opposed to MOH and got various results.
    It's now firmly parked in the too hard to do tray and that's where that
    will stay!

    I found an equivalent of the R key - so that was good advice (thanks)
    ...... all I have to do now is sort out the others such as call back.
    ...... don't suppose anybody has a .pdf or .doc copy of the user manual
    for BT Synergy 3105 phone do they??!

    Mick

    Michael, Sep 19, 2007
  11. Michael

    Jono Guest

    Michael explained :
    > Jono wrote:
    >
    >> Michael expressed precisely :
    >>

    >>> As a PAP2 user - do you have knowledge as to how to achieve music
    >>> on hold - or even how to put a call on hold in the first place!?

    >> You would enter the IP address of a MOH streaming server to play
    >> Music on Hold - I had a cursory google for one....and drew a blank,
    >> though.
    >>
    >> Pressing the R key on a connected handset should put a caller on hold
    >> & give you a second dial tone.

    > I searched music on hold as opposed to MOH and got various results.
    > It's now firmly parked in the too hard to do tray and that's where that
    > will stay!

    Oh dear! If I come across one, I'll post it.

    > I found an equivalent of the R key - so that was good advice (thanks)
    > ..... all I have to do now is sort out the others such as call back.

    What's your definition of "Call Back"?

    > ..... don't suppose anybody has a .pdf or .doc copy of the user manual
    > for BT Synergy 3105 phone do they??!

    CLearly, I'm not just anybody as I do not have a copy, sorry.

    Jono, Sep 19, 2007
  12. Michael

    Jono Guest

    Michael submitted this idea :
    > Jono wrote:
    >
    >> Michael expressed precisely :
    >>

    >>> As a PAP2 user - do you have knowledge as to how to achieve music
    >>> on hold - or even how to put a call on hold in the first place!?

    >> You would enter the IP address of a MOH streaming server to play
    >> Music on Hold - I had a cursory google for one....and drew a blank,
    >> though.
    >>
    >> Pressing the R key on a connected handset should put a caller on hold
    >> & give you a second dial tone.

    > I searched music on hold as opposed to MOH and got various results.
    > It's now firmly parked in the too hard to do tray and that's where that
    > will stay!

    This is an intriguing thread
    <http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:whDL-9OtHbYJ:forum.voxilla.com/linksys-sipura-voip-support-forum/sas-server-audio-streaming-use-11527.html+spa2100+free+streaming+music+on+hold+server&hl=en&gl=uk&strip=1>
    Voxilla seems to be offline tonight, hence the google cache copy.

    Jono, Sep 19, 2007
  13. Michael

    Roger Mills Guest

    Michael <> wrote:

    > As a PAP2 user - do you have knowledge as to how to achieve music on
    > hold - or even how to put a call on hold in the first place!?

    Sorry, no - I've never really wanted to do either - particularly MOH. [I'm
    pretty sick of getting other people's MOH, and certainly don't want to
    inflict it on people who call me!]

    I have a 2-line phone which can apparently put a call on hold in order to
    make a call on the other line - but I've never tried it, and I don't think
    it's what you want anyway!
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Sep 19, 2007
  14. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > Michael explained :
    > > Jono wrote:
    > >
    > > > Michael expressed precisely :

    > > > You would enter the IP address of a MOH streaming server to play
    > > > Music on Hold - I had a cursory google for one....and drew a
    > > > blank, though.
    > > >
    > > > Pressing the R key on a connected handset should put a caller on
    > > > hold & give you a second dial tone.

    > > I searched music on hold as opposed to MOH and got various results.
    > > It's now firmly parked in the too hard to do tray and that's where
    > > that will stay!

    > Oh dear! If I come across one, I'll post it.
    >
    > > I found an equivalent of the R key - so that was good advice
    > > (thanks) ..... all I have to do now is sort out the others such as
    > > call back.

    > What's your definition of "Call Back"?
    >
    > > ..... don't suppose anybody has a .pdf or .doc copy of the user
    > > manual for BT Synergy 3105 phone do they??!

    > CLearly, I'm not just anybody as I do not have a copy, sorry.

    Ooooh! Look what I found!

    The User ID or URL of the auto-answering SAS to contact for MOH
    services. Examples: 5000,, 66.12.123.15:5061.

    So - assuming I put this in a box somewhere (MOH Server) does this mean
    I get free MOH? ... and do I need to set anything else anywhere such as
    SAS to yes?....that, in particular is confusing to a non techie like me
    as SAS would assumedly stand for Streaming Music Server ..... but an
    instruction manual for a similar Linksys device says that if set you
    'yes', then incoming calls will be rejected or some-such (The PAP2 did
    not come with any meaningful instructions or details of what settings
    mean).

    .. Call Waiting, Cancel Call Waiting, Call Waiting Caller ID
    .. Caller ID with Name/Number (Multi-national Variants)
    .. Caller ID Blocking
    .. Call Forwarding: No answer, Busy, All
    .. Do Not Disturb
    .. Call Transfer
    .. Three-way Conference Calling with Local Mixing
    .. Message Waiting Indication - Visual and Tone Based
    .. Call Return
    .. Call Back on Busy
    .. Call Blocking with Toll Restriction
    .. Delayed Disconnect
    .. Distinctive Ringing - Calling and Called Number
    .. Off-hook Warning Tone
    .. Selective/Anonymous Call Rejection
    .. Hot line and Warm Line Calling
    .. Speed Dialling of 8 Numbers/Addresses
    .. Music on Hold

    ....is the list of functions - and some are easy to configure such as
    call waiting .... but what is a warm hot line calling all about and how
    do I assign speed dial numbers to be used (I know I put the numbers in
    the box in the config pages but how do I dial them?) These sorts of
    questions don't seem to be catered for anywhere .....

    Mick

    Michael, Sep 19, 2007
  15. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > Jono wrote:
    >
    > > Michael explained :

    > > > I searched music on hold as opposed to MOH and got various
    > > > results. It's now firmly parked in the too hard to do tray and
    > > > that's where that will stay!

    > > Oh dear! If I come across one, I'll post it.
    > >
    > > > I found an equivalent of the R key - so that was good advice
    > > > (thanks) ..... all I have to do now is sort out the others such as
    > > > call back.

    > > What's your definition of "Call Back"?
    > >
    > > > ..... don't suppose anybody has a .pdf or .doc copy of the user
    > > > manual for BT Synergy 3105 phone do they??!

    > > CLearly, I'm not just anybody as I do not have a copy, sorry.

    > Ooooh! Look what I found!
    >
    > The User ID or URL of the auto-answering SAS to contact for MOH
    > services. Examples: 5000,, 66.12.123.15:5061.
    >
    > So - assuming I put this in a box somewhere (MOH Server) does this
    > mean I get free MOH? ... and do I need to set anything else anywhere
    > such as SAS to yes?....that, in particular is confusing to a non
    > techie like me as SAS would assumedly stand for Streaming Music
    > Server ..... but an instruction manual for a similar Linksys device
    > says that if set you 'yes', then incoming calls will be rejected or
    > some-such (The PAP2 did not come with any meaningful instructions or
    > details of what settings mean).
    >
    > . Call Waiting, Cancel Call Waiting, Call Waiting Caller ID
    > . Caller ID with Name/Number (Multi-national Variants)
    > . Caller ID Blocking
    > . Call Forwarding: No answer, Busy, All
    > . Do Not Disturb
    > . Call Transfer
    > . Three-way Conference Calling with Local Mixing
    > . Message Waiting Indication - Visual and Tone Based
    > . Call Return
    > . Call Back on Busy
    > . Call Blocking with Toll Restriction
    > . Delayed Disconnect
    > . Distinctive Ringing - Calling and Called Number
    > . Off-hook Warning Tone
    > . Selective/Anonymous Call Rejection
    > . Hot line and Warm Line Calling
    > . Speed Dialling of 8 Numbers/Addresses
    > . Music on Hold
    >
    > ...is the list of functions - and some are easy to configure such as
    > call waiting .... but what is a warm hot line calling all about and
    > how do I assign speed dial numbers to be used (I know I put the
    > numbers in the box in the config pages but how do I dial them?) These
    > sorts of questions don't seem to be catered for anywhere .....
    >

    > Mick

    .....and I think I ought to say that I'm not really looking to use all
    the options - just a bit frustrated that i cannot play with them
    through lack of knowledge and a readable manual that explains the usage
    of each setting in context.

    The two phone lines work fine - one on each RJ11 port which is what I
    wanted ..... anything else really is an extra ....

    Mick

    Michael, Sep 19, 2007
  16. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Roger Mills wrote:

    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Michael <> wrote:
    >

    > > As a PAP2 user - do you have knowledge as to how to achieve music
    > > on hold - or even how to put a call on hold in the first place!?
    > >

    > Sorry, no - I've never really wanted to do either - particularly MOH.
    > [I'm pretty sick of getting other people's MOH, and certainly don't
    > want to inflict it on people who call me!]
    >
    > I have a 2-line phone which can apparently put a call on hold in
    > order to make a call on the other line - but I've never tried it, and
    > I don't think it's what you want anyway!

    Roger - you are right about MOH .......

    I have a 2-line phone which can apparently put a call on hold in order
    to make a call on the other line - but I've never tried it, and I don't
    think it's what you want anyway!

    it would have been handy to have been able to put a call on hold (now I
    know how to!) and say, press * to gain a second line on the same phone
    as I used to with the SPA1001 to dial out on a second line. Can't think
    I'd nee to do that often, but that's what i thought I'd be able to do
    with the knowledge that the PAP2T could handle 4 active calls .....

    Mick

    Michael, Sep 19, 2007
  17. Michael

    Jono Guest

    Michael presented the following explanation :
    > Jono wrote:
    >
    >> Michael explained :

    >>> I searched music on hold as opposed to MOH and got various results.
    >>> It's now firmly parked in the too hard to do tray and that's where
    >>> that will stay!

    >> Oh dear! If I come across one, I'll post it.
    >>
    >>> I found an equivalent of the R key - so that was good advice
    >>> (thanks) ..... all I have to do now is sort out the others such as
    >>> call back.

    >> What's your definition of "Call Back"?
    >>
    >>> ..... don't suppose anybody has a .pdf or .doc copy of the user
    >>> manual for BT Synergy 3105 phone do they??!

    >> CLearly, I'm not just anybody as I do not have a copy, sorry.

    > Ooooh! Look what I found!
    >
    > The User ID or URL of the auto-answering SAS to contact for MOH
    > services. Examples: 5000,, 66.12.123.15:5061.

    Dunno.....

    > So - assuming I put this in a box somewhere (MOH Server) does this mean
    > I get free MOH? ... and do I need to set anything else anywhere such as
    > SAS to yes?....that, in particular is confusing to a non techie like me
    > as SAS would assumedly stand for Streaming Music Server ..... but an
    > instruction manual for a similar Linksys device says that if set you
    > 'yes', then incoming calls will be rejected or some-such (The PAP2 did
    > not come with any meaningful instructions or details of what settings
    > mean).

    The Streaming Audio Server feature allows you to forsake one of your
    lines and, using a suitable connector, plug an audio source in to the
    rj-11 socket. This "line" would then be a MOH server...I think.

    > . Call Waiting, Cancel Call Waiting, Call Waiting Caller ID
    > . Caller ID with Name/Number (Multi-national Variants)
    > . Caller ID Blocking
    > . Call Forwarding: No answer, Busy, All
    > . Do Not Disturb
    > . Call Transfer
    > . Three-way Conference Calling with Local Mixing
    > . Message Waiting Indication - Visual and Tone Based
    > . Call Return
    > . Call Back on Busy
    > . Call Blocking with Toll Restriction
    > . Delayed Disconnect
    > . Distinctive Ringing - Calling and Called Number
    > . Off-hook Warning Tone
    > . Selective/Anonymous Call Rejection
    > . Hot line and Warm Line Calling
    > . Speed Dialling of 8 Numbers/Addresses
    > . Music on Hold
    >
    > ...is the list of functions - and some are easy to configure such as
    > call waiting .... but what is a warm hot line calling all about and how
    > do I assign speed dial numbers to be used (I know I put the numbers in
    > the box in the config pages but how do I dial them?) These sorts of
    > questions don't seem to be catered for anywhere .....

    A hot line essentially means that a predetermined number is dialled as
    soon as the handset is lifted. A warm line is similar, however, you
    would have the opportunity to dial a number for a short period after
    lifting the handset.

    For speed dials, look here
    <http://www.netphonedirectory.com/pap2tips.htm>

    Jono, Sep 19, 2007
  18. Michael

    Jono Guest

    Michael presented the following explanation :
    > just a bit frustrated that i cannot play with them
    > through lack of knowledge and a readable manual that explains the usage
    > of each setting in context

    <http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/LinksysSPAAdminGuidev2.0.11-16.pdf>
    may be of interest, even though it was written with the PAP2's
    forerunner in mind.

    Jono, Sep 19, 2007
  19. Michael

    Jono Guest

    Michael wrote on 19/09/2007 :
    > it would have been handy to have been able to put a call on hold (now I
    > know how to!) and say, press * to gain a second line on the same phone
    > as I used to with the SPA1001 to dial out on a second line. Can't think
    > I'd nee to do that often, but that's what i thought I'd be able to do
    > with the knowledge that the PAP2T could handle 4 active calls .....

    You can.

    Pressing R or flicking/flashing the hook should give you dial tone &
    allow you to make another call on the same line.

    What have you got your "Hook Flash Tx Method" set to?

    Jono, Sep 19, 2007
  20. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > Michael wrote on 19/09/2007 :
    > > it would have been handy to have been able to put a call on hold
    > > (now I know how to!) and say, press * to gain a second line on the
    > > same phone as I used to with the SPA1001 to dial out on a second
    > > line. Can't think I'd nee to do that often, but that's what i
    > > thought I'd be able to do with the knowledge that the PAP2T could
    > > handle 4 active calls .....

    > You can.
    >
    > Pressing R or flicking/flashing the hook should give you dial tone &
    > allow you to make another call on the same line.
    >
    > What have you got your "Hook Flash Tx Method" set to?

    I found a setting - Hook Flash MIME type - which is set to

    application/hook-flash

    (cannot see any other reference to hook flash other than timers)

    What I meant by * and getting another line was that on the SPA I'd
    select * which selected line 2 to dial out on - but I don't think it
    would occur at the same time as I had a call in-bound (that's an
    assumption as I never knew about the R button function) -so are you
    saying that on the PAP2 I can have an incoming call, hit the R key and
    then dial out on the same phone (have an incoming AND an outgoing call
    in progress on the same phone line simultaneously?)

    Mick

    Michael, Sep 20, 2007