Stupid phishers!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by HC, Sep 25, 2005.

  1. HC

    HC Guest

    I just received an emaill from "PaYpal-Service".

    Interestingly enough, it was sent to . (I really
    must remember to disable that address.)

    It included the following heartwarming paragraphs:

    "Lately we had reports of fraudulent web pages that imitate the PayPal
    website in order to gain personal information about your account. To be sure
    that you access a real PayPal website check for the distinctive marks such
    as the PayPal logo (see upwards)."

    "In order be sure of your account updating please login into the link below
    as fast as possible."

    And lastly,
    "If you have trouble in accessing your account call us at
    0409-7386-0588-8989-8959"

    Does anyone REALLY fall for this???

    -HC
    HC, Sep 25, 2005

  2. HC

    GHalleck Guest

    HC wrote:
    > I just received an emaill from "PaYpal-Service".
    >
    > Interestingly enough, it was sent to . (I really
    > must remember to disable that address.)
    >
    > It included the following heartwarming paragraphs:
    >
    > "Lately we had reports of fraudulent web pages that imitate the PayPal
    > website in order to gain personal information about your account. To be sure
    > that you access a real PayPal website check for the distinctive marks such
    > as the PayPal logo (see upwards)."
    >
    > "In order be sure of your account updating please login into the link below
    > as fast as possible."
    >
    > And lastly,
    > "If you have trouble in accessing your account call us at
    > 0409-7386-0588-8989-8959"
    >
    > Does anyone REALLY fall for this???

    Amazingly...yes.
    GHalleck, Sep 25, 2005

  3. HC

    Dave Lear Guest

    "HC" wrote in message news:1IsZe.190326$wr.89910@clgrps12

    > I just received an emaill from "PaYpal-Service".
    >
    > [ SNIP PHISH DETAILS ]
    >
    > Does anyone REALLY fall for this???

    The fact that it works proves the old adages...

    1) A fool and his money are soon parted.
    2) There's a sucker born every minute.
    Dave Lear, Sep 25, 2005
  4. HC wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I just received an emaill from "PaYpal-Service".

    snip

    > Does anyone REALLY fall for this???

    It's a percentage game. For the cost of a month's internet service, the
    phisher sends out a few million emails. He can't send that much stuff
    through regular postal mail for that price. If he gets a response from
    just .001 % (that's one one-thousandth of one per cent), or even
    ..0001 %, what's the potential take from just a few bank accounts?

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    May 47 canophilic cows break wind in your boudoir.
    The Old Sourdough, Sep 25, 2005
  5. HC

    Shawn Guest

    "HC" <> wrote in message
    >I just received an emaill from "PaYpal-Service".
    >
    > Interestingly enough, it was sent to . (I really
    > must remember to disable that address.)
    >
    > It included the following heartwarming paragraphs:
    >
    > "Lately we had reports of fraudulent web pages that imitate the PayPal
    > website in order to gain personal information about your account. To be
    > sure
    > that you access a real PayPal website check for the distinctive marks such
    > as the PayPal logo (see upwards)."
    >
    > "In order be sure of your account updating please login into the link
    > below
    > as fast as possible."
    >
    > And lastly,
    > "If you have trouble in accessing your account call us at
    > 0409-7386-0588-8989-8959"
    >
    > Does anyone REALLY fall for this???
    >
    > -HC

    i wasnt supposed to click that link and sign in?
    Shawn, Sep 25, 2005
  6. Shawn wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snip

    > i wasnt supposed to click that link and sign in?

    I'll save you all that trouble. Just send me all your details: Bank
    account, Credit cards, etc., and I'll take care of it for you. :)

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    May an outrageous number of snotty-nosed rodents take a wicked dump in
    The Old Sourdough, Sep 25, 2005
  7. HC

    Shawn Guest

    "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    > Shawn wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    > snip
    >

    >> i wasnt supposed to click that link and sign in?
    >>

    > I'll save you all that trouble. Just send me all your details: Bank
    > account, Credit cards, etc., and I'll take care of it for you. :)
    >
    > --
    > The Old Sourdough
    > May an outrageous number of snotty-nosed rodents take a wicked dump in
    > your glassware.

    amazing the people who fall for these scams
    Shawn, Sep 25, 2005
  8. HC wrote:

    > And lastly,
    > "If you have trouble in accessing your account call us at
    > 0409-7386-0588-8989-8959"
    >
    > Does anyone REALLY fall for this???

    Yes, they do... mostly Windoze users, I'd venture, since so many of them are
    stupid.

    --
    tv (fix the obvious if replying by email)

    Man who stick head in fruit drink get punch in nose.
    -- Confucius say
    Tattoo Vampire, Sep 25, 2005
  9. HC

    Rick Merrill Guest

    HC wrote:

    > I just received an emaill from "PaYpal-Service".
    >
    > Interestingly enough, it was sent to . (I really
    > must remember to disable that address.)
    >
    > It included the following heartwarming paragraphs:
    >
    > "Lately we had reports of fraudulent web pages that imitate the PayPal

    you did forward it to I hope. They do a pretty fast
    job of taking the site off the air.
    Rick Merrill, Sep 26, 2005
  10. HC

    Rick Merrill Guest

    joevan wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:00:09 -0400, Rick Merrill
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>HC wrote:
    >>

    >>>I just received an emaill from "PaYpal-Service".
    >>>
    >>>Interestingly enough, it was sent to . (I really
    >>>must remember to disable that address.)
    >>>
    >>>It included the following heartwarming paragraphs:
    >>>
    >>>"Lately we had reports of fraudulent web pages that imitate the PayPal

    >>you did forward it to I hope. They do a pretty fast
    >>job of taking the site off the air.
    >>

    > How do they do that? Who does it? Who is they? Please tell us.

    Ebay and paypal have a bunch of attack programmers who track down the
    source and put pressure on the ISP, who then cancels the account of the
    spammers - who of course then go open another account elsewhere. No,
    it's not going to end soon, but the sooner a new spam account is closed
    the better, don't you think?
    Rick Merrill, Sep 27, 2005
  11. HC

    joevan Guest

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:59:44 -0400, Rick Merrill
    <> wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:00:09 -0400, Rick Merrill
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>you did forward it to I hope. They do a pretty fast
    >>>job of taking the site off the air.
    >>>

    >> How do they do that? Who does it? Who is they? Please tell us.

    >Ebay and paypal have a bunch of attack programmers who track down the
    >source and put pressure on the ISP, who then cancels the account of the
    >spammers - who of course then go open another account elsewhere. No,
    >it's not going to end soon, but the sooner a new spam account is closed
    >the better, don't you think?

    Absolutely, close the cretins down. Better yet hire a lynch mob and
    hang the creeps.

    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Sep 27, 2005