Stupid hardware question -- which hard drive should I buy?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mark Adams, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    My venerable old desktop could use a harddrive upgrade. I'd like to add
    a second hard drive, but it doesn't need to be massive. I'm looking at
    something in the 80-100 GB range that isn't too fancy, but is somewhat
    durable.

    Problem is, it's been so long since I bought a hard drive I'm not even
    sure what I need. The mobo is an Intel D845WN that is spec'd to support
    two EIDE interfaces with Ultra DMA-33 and ATA-66/100.

    I think my question is will this motherboard reliably support an ATA-100
    hard drive? I know it won't operate at the same transfer rate, but I
    don't really care.

    Advice? Recommendations?

    Thanks.

    Mark
    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    The famous politician was trying to save both his faces.
    Mark Adams, Nov 16, 2006

  2. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Mark Adams wrote:
    > My venerable old desktop could use a harddrive upgrade. I'd like to add
    > a second hard drive, but it doesn't need to be massive. I'm looking at
    > something in the 80-100 GB range that isn't too fancy, but is somewhat
    > durable.
    >
    > Problem is, it's been so long since I bought a hard drive I'm not even
    > sure what I need. The mobo is an Intel D845WN that is spec'd to support
    > two EIDE interfaces with Ultra DMA-33 and ATA-66/100.
    >
    > I think my question is will this motherboard reliably support an ATA-100
    > hard drive? I know it won't operate at the same transfer rate, but I
    > don't really care.
    >
    > Advice? Recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mark

    I may have answered my own question here:

    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-008822.htm

    Nevertheless advice is welcome.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    The attacker must vanquish; the defender need only survive.
    Mark Adams, Nov 16, 2006

  3. Mark Adams

    thanatoid Guest

    Mark Adams <> wrote in

    > Mark Adams wrote:
    >> My venerable old desktop could use a harddrive upgrade.
    >> I'd like to add a second hard drive, but it doesn't need
    >> to be massive. I'm looking at something in the 80-100 GB
    >> range that isn't too fancy, but is somewhat durable.
    >>
    >> Problem is, it's been so long since I bought a hard drive
    >> I'm not even sure what I need. The mobo is an Intel
    >> D845WN that is spec'd to support two EIDE interfaces with
    >> Ultra DMA-33 and ATA-66/100.
    >>
    >> I think my question is will this motherboard reliably
    >> support an ATA-100 hard drive? I know it won't operate at
    >> the same transfer rate, but I don't really care.
    >>
    >> Advice? Recommendations?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Mark

    > I may have answered my own question here:
    >
    > http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-0088
    > 22.htm
    >
    > Nevertheless advice is welcome.

    I think Maxtor is the best, but I have read comments from people
    who run huge computer systems for corporations etc. saying
    Samsungs are the greatest.

    It might well be true. I think LG and Samsung are well on the
    way to becoming what Sony was 20-30 years ago.

    Everyone you ask will give you a different answer - it's not a
    stupid question, just one of those with no answer.
    thanatoid, Nov 16, 2006
  4. Mark Adams

    Parko Guest

    On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:31:50 -0700, Mark Adams wrote:

    > Mark Adams wrote:
    >> My venerable old desktop could use a harddrive upgrade. I'd like to add
    >> a second hard drive, but it doesn't need to be massive. I'm looking at
    >> something in the 80-100 GB range that isn't too fancy, but is somewhat
    >> durable.
    >>
    >> Problem is, it's been so long since I bought a hard drive I'm not even
    >> sure what I need. The mobo is an Intel D845WN that is spec'd to support
    >> two EIDE interfaces with Ultra DMA-33 and ATA-66/100.
    >>
    >> I think my question is will this motherboard reliably support an ATA-100
    >> hard drive? I know it won't operate at the same transfer rate, but I
    >> don't really care.
    >>
    >> Advice? Recommendations?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Mark

    > I may have answered my own question here:
    >
    > http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-008822.htm
    >
    > Nevertheless advice is welcome.

    Seagate drives come with a five year warranty
    --
    Parko
    How to kill Windows: create desktop shortcut ctrl+c ctrl+v
    Parko, Nov 16, 2006
  5. Mark Adams wrote:

    > My venerable old desktop could use a harddrive upgrade. I'd like to add
    > a second hard drive, but it doesn't need to be massive. I'm looking at
    > something in the 80-100 GB range that isn't too fancy, but is somewhat
    > durable.
    >
    > Problem is, it's been so long since I bought a hard drive I'm not even
    > sure what I need. The mobo is an Intel D845WN that is spec'd to support
    > two EIDE interfaces with Ultra DMA-33 and ATA-66/100.
    >
    > I think my question is will this motherboard reliably support an ATA-100
    > hard drive? I know it won't operate at the same transfer rate, but I
    > don't really care.

    The pdf sheet says it will support ata-100 (but you have to buy the 80-wire
    ("shield") ide cables.
    Take care to leave no "open tail" with that cables.
    Harddrives ... well go shopping soon because the choice will become more
    limited for ide drives since sata is on the rise. I have good experience
    with the maxtor diamond plus series 80 or 120G - at least they didn't quit
    unexpectedly, without any signs and a chance to make a backup.

    Walter Mautner, Nov 16, 2006
  6. Mark Adams

    Jerry Attic Guest

    thanatoid <> said in

    > Mark Adams <> wrote in
    >
    >> Mark Adams wrote:
    >>> My venerable old desktop could use a harddrive upgrade.
    >>> I'd like to add a second hard drive, but it doesn't need
    >>> to be massive. I'm looking at something in the 80-100 GB
    >>> range that isn't too fancy, but is somewhat durable.
    >>>
    >>> Problem is, it's been so long since I bought a hard drive
    >>> I'm not even sure what I need. The mobo is an Intel
    >>> D845WN that is spec'd to support two EIDE interfaces with
    >>> Ultra DMA-33 and ATA-66/100.
    >>>
    >>> I think my question is will this motherboard reliably
    >>> support an ATA-100 hard drive? I know it won't operate at
    >>> the same transfer rate, but I don't really care.
    >>>
    >>> Advice? Recommendations?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Mark

    >> I may have answered my own question here:
    >>
    >> http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-0088
    >> 22.htm
    >>
    >> Nevertheless advice is welcome.
    >>

    > I think Maxtor is the best, but I have read comments from people
    > who run huge computer systems for corporations etc. saying
    > Samsungs are the greatest.
    >
    > It might well be true. I think LG and Samsung are well on the
    > way to becoming what Sony was 20-30 years ago.
    >
    > Everyone you ask will give you a different answer - it's not a
    > stupid question, just one of those with no answer.

    I haven't had any problems with either Maxtor or Samsung. Samsung has an
    excellent RMA service if one does happen to go bad. Maxtor is now owned
    by Seagate but retain their manufacturing plants and brand name. Both
    Maxtor and Samsung can be bought for very reasonable prices. The only
    one I've had problems with has been Western Digital. I've had to RMA
    them qite frequently over the years.

    Jerry
    Jerry Attic, Nov 16, 2006
  7. Mark Adams

    thanatoid Guest

    Walter Mautner <> wrote
    in news::

    <SNIP>

    > Harddrives ... well go shopping soon because the choice
    > will become more limited for ide drives since sata is on
    > the rise.

    <SNIP>

    I am pretty sure (too late and too tired to check on the web)
    that you can get a PCI card with a SATA adapter, and they're not
    expensive, and the drives are actually cheaper than the ATA
    ones, so it's not a major worry.
    thanatoid, Nov 16, 2006
  8. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > Walter Mautner <> wrote
    > in news::
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> Harddrives ... well go shopping soon because the choice
    >> will become more limited for ide drives since sata is on
    >> the rise.

    > <SNIP>
    >
    > I am pretty sure (too late and too tired to check on the web)
    > that you can get a PCI card with a SATA adapter, and they're not
    > expensive, and the drives are actually cheaper than the ATA
    > ones, so it's not a major worry.

    That's not a horrible suggestion on either side, but I'm not sure I have
    a PCI slot left in this machine.

    This motherboard is about 4 years old and it may be time to think about
    an upgrade. But if I start to think that way, it becomes less rational
    to replace the mobo and keep the Pentium 4 chip that I just upgraded
    last year, the memory that I upgraded before that, and the case that
    doesn't have USB connectors on the front...

    See where I'm headed? :)

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Really?? What a coincidence, I'm shallow too!!
    Mark Adams, Nov 16, 2006
  9. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Jerry Attic wrote:
    > thanatoid <> said in
    >
    >> Mark Adams <> wrote in

    >>> I may have answered my own question here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-0088
    >>> 22.htm
    >>>
    >>> Nevertheless advice is welcome.
    >>>

    >> I think Maxtor is the best, but I have read comments from people
    >> who run huge computer systems for corporations etc. saying
    >> Samsungs are the greatest.
    >>
    >> It might well be true. I think LG and Samsung are well on the
    >> way to becoming what Sony was 20-30 years ago.
    >>
    >> Everyone you ask will give you a different answer - it's not a
    >> stupid question, just one of those with no answer.

    > I haven't had any problems with either Maxtor or Samsung. Samsung has an
    > excellent RMA service if one does happen to go bad. Maxtor is now owned
    > by Seagate but retain their manufacturing plants and brand name. Both
    > Maxtor and Samsung can be bought for very reasonable prices. The only
    > one I've had problems with has been Western Digital. I've had to RMA
    > them qite frequently over the years.
    >
    > Jerry

    Let me just step into the thread at this point and say that I'm not
    really looking for brand names -- I've used Seagate, Mactor, WD and
    probably a couple of others.

    At this point I'm leaning toward Seagate again, but I'm more interested
    in making sure that I buy a drive that is compatible with my system.

    RMA's area bummer.

    Now, somebody tell me about the 80-pin cable and "open tails".

    And thanks for all the input. I do appreciate it.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Make a wish, it might come true.
    Mark Adams, Nov 16, 2006
  10. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Re: Stupid hardware question -- which hard drive should I buy? --ERRATA

    Mark Adams wrote:

    > Let me just step into the thread at this point and say that I'm not
    > really looking for brand names -- I've used Seagate, Mactor, WD and
    > probably a couple of others.

    > RMA's area bummer.

    Note to self: Work on typing and proofreading skills.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Please help keep the world clean: others may wish to use it.
    Mark Adams, Nov 16, 2006
  11. Mark Adams wrote:

    > Now, somebody tell me about the 80-pin cable and "open tails".
    >
    > And thanks for all the input. I do appreciate it.

    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html may give you some
    tech background info.
    Oh well, it is not 80 pins, just 80 wires (half of them grounded as some sort of shield in between the signal wires).
    You should know, 100 Mhz gives a full-cycle wavelength of 3 m .... one quarter is 75 centimeters, nice fm radio antenna with resonance effects and all that.
    Therefore, udma-100/133 cables are usually limited to 45 centimeters.
    And you do not want reflections either.
    Walter Mautner, Nov 16, 2006
  12. thanatoid <> wrote in message
    <Xns987D23991C2DAthanexit@66.250.146.158>...

    > Walter Mautner <> wrote
    > in news::
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> Harddrives ... well go shopping soon because the choice
    >> will become more limited for ide drives since sata is on
    >> the rise.

    > <SNIP>
    >
    > I am pretty<BITCHSLAP>

    Liar.
    Nugur the mankhead-disrespecter, Nov 18, 2006
  13. thanatoid <> wrote in message
    <Xns987CD3023FCFEthanexit@66.250.146.158>...

    > Mark Adams <> wrote in
    >
    >> Mark Adams wrote:
    >>> My venerable old desktop could use a harddrive upgrade.
    >>> I'd like to add a second hard drive, but it doesn't need
    >>> to be massive. I'm looking at something in the 80-100 GB
    >>> range that isn't too fancy, but is somewhat durable.
    >>>
    >>> Problem is, it's been so long since I bought a hard drive
    >>> I'm not even sure what I need. The mobo is an Intel
    >>> D845WN that is spec'd to support two EIDE interfaces with
    >>> Ultra DMA-33 and ATA-66/100.
    >>>
    >>> I think my question is will this motherboard reliably
    >>> support an ATA-100 hard drive? I know it won't operate at
    >>> the same transfer rate, but I don't really care.
    >>>
    >>> Advice? Recommendations?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Mark

    >> I may have answered my own question here:
    >>
    >> http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-0088
    >> 22.htm
    >>
    >> Nevertheless advice is welcome.
    >>

    > I think<BITCHSLAP>

    Liar.
    Fahai the elephant-darkener, Nov 18, 2006
  14. Mark Adams

    thanatoid Guest

    "Nugur the mankhead-disrespecter" <conyza-winkleri-

    > thanatoid <> wrote in message
    > <Xns987D23991C2DAthanexit@66.250.146.158>...
    >
    >> Walter Mautner <> wrote
    >> in news::
    >>
    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >>> Harddrives ... well go shopping soon because the choice
    >>> will become more limited for ide drives since sata is on
    >>> the rise.

    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >> I am pretty<BITCHSLAP>

    > Liar.

    /laughs out loud/
    Correction, it was boring, now it's just hilarious - at a 3rd
    grade level, still... Thanks for the laugh.
    thanatoid, Nov 18, 2006
  15. thanatoid <> wrote in message
    <Xns987F7996A3B4Ethanexit@66.250.146.158>...

    > "Nugur the mankhead-disrespecter" <conyza-winkleri-
    > > wrote in
    >
    >> thanatoid <> wrote in message
    >> <Xns987D23991C2DAthanexit@66.250.146.158>...
    >>
    >>> Walter Mautner <> wrote
    >>> in news::
    >>>
    >>> <SNIP>

    >>> <SNIP>
    >>>
    >>> I am pretty<BITCHSLAP>

    >> Liar.
    >>

    > /laughs out loud/
    > Correction<BITCHSLAP>

    Disallowed.
    Kamik the rabbit-keelhauler, Nov 19, 2006