    them to learn they just can't throw money out like that
    when PC techs are a dime a dozen and cheap as dirt. Anyway,
    I m happy that I got the job.
    Main, Jul 22, 2004

  2. Main

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 22, 2004 "ImhoTech" blathered:

    > Not quite following you here....9.00 is cheap as dirt. Even in todays tough
    > job market I don't know any experienced techs who would work for that.

    For once ImhoTech, I will have to agree with you.

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    TechGeekPro, Jul 22, 2004

  3. On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:36:54 -0400, "ImhoTech" <>
    wrote:

    >"Main" <> wrote in message
    >> The company that I interviewed and got a job from today is a
    >> dumb-ass company paying $9.00 for PC techs. And they were
    >> saying full benefits are included. It won't take long to
    >> them to learn they just can't throw money out like that
    >> when PC techs are a dime a dozen and cheap as dirt. Anyway,
    >> I m happy that I got the job.

    >Not quite following you here....9.00 is cheap as dirt. Even in todays tough
    >job market I don't know any experienced techs who would work for that.

    Well, that's close to $13/hour Canadian, which where I live is good
    money. Not great, but good, and actually great for a basic PC repair
    gig. For any large center, though, it'd be pretty low, I'd guess.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 22, 2004
  4. On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:25:15 -0400, "ImhoTech" <>
    wrote:

    >"Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:36:54 -0400, "ImhoTech" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> Well, that's close to $13/hour Canadian, which where I live is good
    >> money. Not great, but good, and actually great for a basic PC repair
    >> gig. For any large center, though, it'd be pretty low, I'd guess.
    >>
    >> Tom

    >Out of curiosity, how does Canada's cost of living compare to US?

    I'm not sure, but with Canada and the US being big countries, there
    are wide variances across both countries. Check these out...

    http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html

    http://www.homefair.com/homefair/se...?pid=244&cid=homefair&pagename=199&internal=T

    I live in Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. To live in
    Vancouver, British Columbia, my salary would have to be over 69%
    higher for the same quality of life/living, based on this particular
    calculator. To live in Fort Worth, Texas, just under 34% more (if they
    are working the $ conversion in, which I hope they are doing. If not,
    it's about 80% more.) To live in NY, NY...191% more based on them
    converting the $, if not, about 300% more. Big differences. It's
    relatively cheap to live here.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Main

    PlazticSoul Guest

    "Main" <> wrote in message
    > The company that I interviewed and got a job from today is a
    > dumb-ass company paying $9.00 for PC techs. And they were
    > saying full benefits are included. It won't take long to
    > them to learn they just can't throw money out like that
    > when PC techs are a dime a dozen and cheap as dirt. Anyway,
    > I m happy that I got the job.

    I wouldn't work for that, except maybe just for the experience.
    PlazticSoul, Jul 23, 2004
  6. Re: Stupid company insulting by paying $9.00 for PC tech

    "Main" <> wrote in message
    > The company that I interviewed and got a job from today is a
    > dumb-ass company paying $9.00 for PC techs. And they were
    > saying full benefits are included. It won't take long to
    > them to learn they just can't throw money out like that
    > when PC techs are a dime a dozen and cheap as dirt. Anyway,
    > I m happy that I got the job.

    are you *trying* to sound like an a- no, i'll assume you merely have a lack
    of understanding of how the job market works.

    $9/hr is only a mere $18.7K per annum, just barely above the poverty line.
    you could make $9/hr working in a damn WAREHOUSE, and that doesnt even
    require a SKILL!

    anybody who even remotely understands what a computer is and does, obviously
    has some intelligence, a feature notably LACKING in the hoi polloi. how many
    of those idiots (HR guys included) can distinguish between a 115V AC power
    connector and an IDE interface?!

    to suggest that anybody would go through the trouble of studying, then
    spending $200+ of their own money for testing and certification (not to
    mention for the study materials) just so they could make as much money WITH
    a marketable skill as some schmuck in a warehouse WITHOUT, $9/hr is an
    INSULT. perhaps in some hokey backwoods "economically depressed" area where
    rednecks swill beer and jobs are scarce, where even the techies have no idea
    of how much money they could and should be making...

    ....i need a good stiff drink after that one.
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Jul 27, 2004
  7. Re: Stupid company insulting by paying $9.00 for PC tech

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Solomon Kozanski wrote:
    >
    > > "Main" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>The company that I interviewed and got a job from today is a
    > >>dumb-ass company paying $9.00 for PC techs. And they were
    > >>saying full benefits are included. It won't take long to
    > >>them to learn they just can't throw money out like that
    > >>when PC techs are a dime a dozen and cheap as dirt. Anyway,
    > >>I m happy that I got the job.

    > > are you *trying* to sound like an a- no, i'll assume you merely have a

    lack
    > > of understanding of how the job market works.
    > >

    > It's simple supply and demand. I think he's thoroughly familiar with
    > that concept.

    if they want to keep the supply up to meet to demand, they should keep the
    job market attractive

    > > $9/hr is only a mere $18.7K per annum, just barely above the poverty

    line.
    > > you could make $9/hr working in a damn WAREHOUSE, and that doesnt even
    > > require a SKILL!

    > Usually warehouse and production work is called unskilled, but often
    > requires forklift or machine experience. Other subsets of production
    > are indeed skilled or semi-skilled, for instance PLC programmers or
    > maintenance technicians.

    i think you're missing my point. what is the point of learning a skill when
    you could make just as much money pumping gas?

    > > anybody who even remotely understands what a computer is and does,

    obviously
    > > has some intelligence, a feature notably LACKING in the hoi polloi. how

    many
    > > of those idiots (HR guys included) can distinguish between a 115V AC

    power
    > > connector and an IDE interface?!

    > A bit of intelligence perhaps, but I hear techs are dime a dozen, as the
    > OP mentioned. There are several jobs which pay $25 k a year starting
    > (in other fields) yet require a bachelors or masters degree. Simply
    > supply and demand, and the fields are flooded with potential recruits.

    and while a+ is not quite a degree, $25-$30K is an adequate and reasonable
    salary, substantially higher than an insulting $18K.

    > If you want good starting money, you should consider an engineering or
    > CS degree.

    actually, $25K is pretty good starting money for someone working their way
    up the ladder to higher certs. college isnt always necessary.

    > > to suggest that anybody would go through the trouble of studying, then
    > > spending $200+ of their own money for testing and certification (not to
    > > mention for the study materials) just so they could make as much money

    WITH
    > > a marketable skill as some schmuck in a warehouse WITHOUT, $9/hr is an
    > > INSULT. perhaps in some hokey backwoods "economically depressed" area

    where
    > > rednecks swill beer and jobs are scarce, where even the techies have no

    idea
    > > of how much money they could and should be making...
    > >

    > $200 a big investment? A college education is 100 to 500 times that,
    > yet many take that gamble routinely.

    and its not always a gamble thay pays off. some of us are still piled high
    and deep, and what's interesting is that professional comp certs are
    approaching the salary levels of degreed professionals (do i remember
    something about MCSEs making $60K? i know people with MS in electrical
    engineering who dont make that!)

    > Many fields require some investment of time and materials to learn, e.g.
    > music, art, electronics, etc. Do you really think Bill Gates learned to
    > program in school, or Steve Wozniak learned digital design in school?
    > They primarily learned on their own, which required some investment of
    > time and materials.

    do you really think bill gates learned to program? aside from that, they
    invested time and materials and got a RETURN on that investment. $9/hr is
    NOT a return!

    > michael
    >
    > > ...i need a good stiff drink after that one.
    > > --
    > > Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

    in short, i still think you missed my point entirely, so i will reiterate it
    in a condensed form:

    why should you work your ass off so you can continue to not make a living
    wage?
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Jul 27, 2004
  8. Re: Stupid company insulting by paying $9.00 for PC tech

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:19:44 -0400, "Solomon Kozanski"
    <> wrote:

    >"Main" <> wrote in message
    >> The company that I interviewed and got a job from today is a
    >> dumb-ass company paying $9.00 for PC techs. And they were
    >> saying full benefits are included. It won't take long to
    >> them to learn they just can't throw money out like that
    >> when PC techs are a dime a dozen and cheap as dirt. Anyway,
    >> I m happy that I got the job.

    >are you *trying* to sound like an a- no, i'll assume you merely have a lack
    >of understanding of how the job market works.
    >
    >$9/hr is only a mere $18.7K per annum, just barely above the poverty line.
    >you could make $9/hr working in a damn WAREHOUSE, and that doesnt even
    >require a SKILL!

    Everything requires a skill...everything, and most jobs require
    multiple skills. There are probably a few warehouse employees out
    there who are pretty good around computers, also. What's next...maybe
    truck driving doesn't require a skill either.

    >anybody who even remotely understands what a computer is and does, obviously
    >has some intelligence, a feature notably LACKING in the hoi polloi. how many
    >of those idiots (HR guys included) can distinguish between a 115V AC power
    >connector and an IDE interface?!
    >
    >to suggest that anybody would go through the trouble of studying, then
    >spending $200+ of their own money for testing and certification (not to
    >mention for the study materials) just so they could make as much money WITH
    >a marketable skill as some schmuck in a warehouse WITHOUT, $9/hr is an
    >INSULT. perhaps in some hokey backwoods "economically depressed" area where
    >rednecks swill beer and jobs are scarce, where even the techies have no idea
    >of how much money they could and should be making...

    You're way off the mark...if you are referring to an area like where I
    live, we have high unemployment, but as for the rest of the
    stereotype, you're wrong. We have a well-educated work force, partly
    due to the availability of government programs helping the unemployed
    return to school. The cost of living is low. You seem to think that
    you are somehow better than some "schmuck" who is a (insert grunt job
    title here). I don't agree with your view of the work force.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 27, 2004
  9. Re: Stupid company insulting by paying $9.00 for PC tech

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:47:56 -0400, "Solomon Kozanski"
    <> wrote:

    >and while a+ is not quite a degree, $25-$30K is an adequate and reasonable
    >salary, substantially higher than an insulting $18K.

    It all depends on how much income is required to support oneself and
    family, though. That's one of the things about having a national
    salary standard for government workers. The pay is substantially
    better (relatively) in a place like here compared to, say, Toronto or
    Vancouver.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 27, 2004
  10. Re: Stupid company insulting by paying $9.00 for PC tech

    > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:19:44 -0400, "Solomon Kozanski"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Main" <> wrote in message
    > >> The company that I interviewed and got a job from today is a
    > >> dumb-ass company paying $9.00 for PC techs. And they were
    > >> saying full benefits are included. It won't take long to
    > >> them to learn they just can't throw money out like that
    > >> when PC techs are a dime a dozen and cheap as dirt. Anyway,
    > >> I m happy that I got the job.

    > >are you *trying* to sound like an a- no, i'll assume you merely have a

    lack
    > >of understanding of how the job market works.
    > >
    > >$9/hr is only a mere $18.7K per annum, just barely above the poverty

    line.
    > >you could make $9/hr working in a damn WAREHOUSE, and that doesnt even
    > >require a SKILL!

    I happen to have plenty of skills computer and otherwise...I am lucky to
    have a job in this city...
    Better to be versatile and make some money....
    but I suppose working in a warehouse is somehow below you...
    I'm willing to bet you can't lift a 30 foot boat and place it on a coupla 2
    x 6's 40 feet in the air...
    http://www.whiskeyislandmarina.com/reasons.html
    BTW I think it is easier to find a job when you have a job when you are
    already employed...
    .... somehow the new employer sees that you must actually be worth something,
    because you were employed by someone else to begin with.

    > Everything requires a skill...everything, and most jobs require
    > multiple skills. There are probably a few warehouse employees out
    > there who are pretty good around computers, also. What's next...maybe
    > truck driving doesn't require a skill either.
    >

    > >anybody who even remotely understands what a computer is and does,

    obviously
    > >has some intelligence, a feature notably LACKING in the hoi polloi. how

    many
    > >of those idiots (HR guys included) can distinguish between a 115V AC

    power
    > >connector and an IDE interface?!
    > >
    > >to suggest that anybody would go through the trouble of studying, then
    > >spending $200+ of their own money for testing and certification (not to
    > >mention for the study materials) just so they could make as much money

    WITH
    > >a marketable skill as some schmuck in a warehouse WITHOUT, $9/hr is an
    > >INSULT. perhaps in some hokey backwoods "economically depressed" area

    where
    > >rednecks swill beer and jobs are scarce, where even the techies have no

    idea
    > >of how much money they could and should be making...

    > You're way off the mark...if you are referring to an area like where I
    > live, we have high unemployment, but as for the rest of the
    > stereotype, you're wrong. We have a well-educated work force, partly
    > due to the availability of government programs helping the unemployed
    > return to school. The cost of living is low. You seem to think that
    > you are somehow better than some "schmuck" who is a (insert grunt job
    > title here). I don't agree with your view of the work force.
    >
    > Tom
    >

    > >...i need a good stiff drink after that one.

    I agree with what he said...
    Bonehead
    «bonehead;\), Jul 28, 2004
  11. Re: Stupid company insulting by paying $9.00 for PC tech

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:42:17 GMT, "«bonehead;\)" <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    >> >INSULT. perhaps in some hokey backwoods "economically depressed" area

    >where
    >> >rednecks swill beer and jobs are scarce, where even the techies have no

    >idea
    >> >of how much money they could and should be making...

    >> You're way off the mark...if you are referring to an area like where I
    >> live, we have high unemployment, but as for the rest of the
    >> stereotype, you're wrong. We have a well-educated work force, partly
    >> due to the availability of government programs helping the unemployed
    >> return to school. The cost of living is low. You seem to think that
    >> you are somehow better than some "schmuck" who is a (insert grunt job
    >> title here). I don't agree with your view of the work force.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    >> >...i need a good stiff drink after that one.

    As one who has worked in a variety of jobs over the years, incuding
    (predictably) working in a warehouse...thank you.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 28, 2004
  12. Re: Stupid company insulting by paying $9.00 for PC tech

    "«bonehead;)" <> wrote in message
    > <snipped>
    > I happen to have plenty of skills computer and otherwise...I am lucky to
    > have a job in this city...

    i think the question is more political than economic, but that's for
    alt.politics

    Solomon Kozanski, Jul 29, 2004