Stumped

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kele, Nov 17, 2011.

  1. Kele

    Kele Guest

    Dell (Vostro V13) laptop < 2 years old; Win 7

    Brightness adjust with keyboard quirky

    Recently, pressing fn + up/down (brightness) keys gets random results. The
    up key dims and then reverses and brightens. Key press again, nothing
    changes. Key press down brightens or dims intermittent. Strange random
    behavior.

    Adjusting using the display brightness slider via Power Management works
    fine (normal)

    I fell back to previous display adapter driver, no help; reinstalled latest
    again still no help. Scanned for keyboard new driver version, none found.

    Hardware > Keyboards. there's a USB Intellipoint keyboard listed - I have no
    such thing. I don't know if that's the conflict. Rt Click / Disable is not
    an available choice. I don't know if that's a new hardware item or if it
    was always there. Uninstall is an option - I'm holding on that.

    Googling for this is crap, but I did follow an advice to go into Bios and
    see if the display is set to auto or manual. I'm not comfortable in Bios,
    but did. This laptop has no such display entry in the Bios as described
    on-line (for a Sony). I reinstalled the Dell V13 Bios update, no help.

    Something else online seen then tried. During boot hold fn and tap the
    up/down keys. After Windows loads, that does seem to change the fn+up/down
    response, but it's still not right.

    Lastly, the fn+vol up/down is perfect. The up/down keys are perfect when
    scrolling web pages/docs. Don't think it's the physical keys associated
    with this brightness anomaly.

    I discovered this brightness issue with my kid's laptop; now I'm blamed!
    Exact when after what is unknown. Stumped, thought of you.
    Kele, Nov 17, 2011

  2. Kele

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Nov 16, 8:31 pm, "Kele" <> wrote:
    > Dell (Vostro V13) laptop < 2 years old; Win 7
    >
    > Brightness adjust with keyboard quirky
    >
    > Recently, pressing fn + up/down (brightness) keys gets random results.  The
    > up key dims and then reverses and brightens.  Key press again, nothing
    > changes.  Key press down brightens or dims intermittent.  Strange random
    > behavior.
    >
    > Adjusting using the display brightness slider via Power Management works
    > fine (normal)
    >
    > I fell back to previous display adapter driver, no help; reinstalled latest
    > again still no help.  Scanned for keyboard new driver version, none found.
    >
    > Hardware > Keyboards. there's a USB Intellipoint keyboard listed - I haveno
    > such thing.  I don't know if that's the conflict.  Rt Click / Disableis not
    > an available choice.  I don't know if that's a new hardware item or if it
    > was always there.  Uninstall is an option - I'm holding on that.
    >
    > Googling for this is crap, but I did follow an advice to go into Bios and
    > see if the display is set to auto or manual.  I'm not comfortable in Bios,
    > but did.  This laptop has no such display entry in the Bios as described
    > on-line (for a Sony).  I reinstalled the Dell V13 Bios update, no help.
    >
    > Something else online seen then tried.  During boot hold fn and tap the
    > up/down keys.  After Windows loads, that does seem to change the fn+up/down
    > response, but it's still not right.
    >
    > Lastly, the fn+vol up/down is perfect.  The up/down keys are perfect when
    > scrolling web pages/docs.  Don't think it's the physical keys associated
    > with this brightness anomaly.
    >
    > I discovered this brightness issue with my kid's laptop; now I'm blamed!
    > Exact when after what is unknown.  Stumped, thought of you.

    MY TOSHIBA 3yr old Satellite DOES THE SAME THING! :)

    Problem is, it also doesn't remember the user's setting, but instead
    resets to default everytime I turn it on - torch mode. I always have
    to reach over my wife's shoulder to lower it so her eyes don't burn
    out.

    -ChrisCoaster
    ChrisCoaster, Nov 18, 2011