    appreciated. Thanks.

    Chris
    A+, Net+
    Chris E, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Chris E

    natural_4u Guest

    You mentioned no video... is this a seperate card or onboard? If seperate
    you might want to try a different video card.

    "Chris E" <> wrote in message
    > Had a PC given to me that wouldn't fire up... the HDD would spin up, but

    no
    > video to the monitor, etc. The hard drive booted fine in a test PC.
    > Swapped out RAM, a known good PSU, and ordered a replacement mobo (I
    > originally thought the mobo was the culprit). System still wouldn't boot
    > and still no video. I have tried yet another mobo to no avail and swapped
    > out a different PGA 370 CPU (I have no way of determining if the either

    CPU
    > is good or not, so I realize that this could be the problem.)
    > Here's the problem that I hope to find an answer for. When I introduce
    > power to the PC (as in just plugging the PSU into the outlet), the mobo
    > fires up and the HDD spins up without even pushing the power button. It
    > does this with all PSUs. Is this a hint as to what the problem is and

    why?

    natural_4u, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Chris E

    Chris E Guest

    Onboard video. Sorry, should've mentioned that.

    Chris E, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Chris E

    natural_4u Guest

    hhmmmm.... Try checking the Bios setting for the video.

    natural_4u, Dec 24, 2003
  5. Chris E

    dave Guest

    Chris E wrote:
    > Onboard video. Sorry, should've mentioned that.

    2 cents worth...

    Uhm, check to see if the On Board video has
    been disabled in the BIOS.

    dave, Dec 24, 2003
  6. Chris E

    natural_4u Guest

    Barry is correct...

    remove HDD, CD-ROM, Memory,
    EXCEPT CPU.
    (can not remove onboard video :)

    The computer should still POST without those hardware. You should still be
    able to see something. There should a jumper on the motherboard that makes
    the onboard video the default video source.

    If this replacement mobo is new, the chances of a bad onboard video is
    rare... but still a small chance.

    Get the manual for this mobo and have a look.

    Good Luck!!!!

    natural_4u, Dec 24, 2003
  7. Chris E

    Chris E Guest

    Thanks for all the help. Yes, very hard to check the onboard video settings
    in BIOS with a blank screen. There is only one jumper on the mobo (my
    assumption is to reset the CMOS). It's a pretty basic board (Gateway
    replacement). I will try firing up using just the RAM, CPU and video, after
    removing the battery and replacing. I'll install new ribbon cables if I can
    get the thing to fire up correctly. I may also try replacing the soft power
    cluster. That it powers on without a button being pushed just floors me.
    Machines from scratch are so much easier: ) Thanks again.

    Chris
    A+, Net+

    Chris E, Dec 24, 2003
  8. Chris E

    Andrew Tang Guest

    Not sure if CPU motherboard mismatch is your problem but what CPU is this
    and does the motherboard support this type of CPU?

    There are three types of socket 370 CPUs (usu one motherboard covers only
    two adjacent types):
    PPGA/Mendocino 266 - 533 MHz,
    FCPGA/Coppermine 533 MHz - 1.1 GHz, and
    FCPGA2/Tualatin 1.0 GHz - 1.4 GHz.

    More info and pictures here:
    http://support.intel.com/support/processors/celeron/sb/CS-007435.htm

    FCPGA2 has heat spreader like Pentium 4.

    Andrew Tang, Dec 24, 2003
  9. Chris E

    dave Guest

    Navin R. Johnson wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:32:03 GMT, dave <> wrote:
    >

    >>Chris E wrote:
    >>
    >>>Onboard video. Sorry, should've mentioned that.

    >>2 cents worth...
    >>
    >>Uhm, check to see if the On Board video has
    >>been disabled in the BIOS.

    > That's a little tough with a blank screen.
    >
    > 2 cents it is.

    You mean you don't have a spare video card?

    Sheesh... :)
    dave, Dec 24, 2003