stuff that goes boom

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Geoff, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    i love it when we get stuff that come in thats blown up
    it's always worth a larf :)
    today we had:

    returned pc from a school which had 'blown up'
    what happened was for god knows what reason a cdrom drive decided it was
    going to eat a cd, but it had to do it in stlye !
    yes, eat the cdrom when spinning at full speed lol
    it came back with the drive bay half out, and the cd in at least 30 pieces

    not sure if this was: kids screwing it up for a laugh, or user puts cd in
    not quite right
    since a teacher saw the pc do this, can't tell

    also was taking to a mate who works elsewhere, he had a machine where the
    memory went on fire
    and the idiot was trying to push the power button the front with flames
    coming out the ait vents (at the back prob)
    he had to pull the power cable out the back
    lol

    as long as they don't blow up when i'm next to em, i'm happy :)

    Geoff, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Geoff

    Menymn Guest

    Jesse <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 03:31:45 GMT, JesseTX <> wrote:
    >
    >>Interesting. Don't know if anyone on here watches the TV show
    >>Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel. Bascially what the show is
    >>about is 2 guys who try to prove or disprove myths and urban legends.
    >>They go all out to try to duplicate the conditions of the alledged
    >>myth as closely as possible. If they don't get the expected results,
    >>as detailed in the myth, then they will go beyond the myth just to see
    >>what it takes to get the results.

    > Oh, in case anyone is interested, the Mythbuster show tonight is the
    > one where the try to shatter CD's. It is on the Discovery Channel at
    > 8 PM Central, and will be re-run again at 11 PM Central.

    After having worked for one of the big 3 as a Service Technician and worked
    on close to 10000 computers over the span of 3 years I can tell you that
    this does occur. Why and how I cannot say because they are always shattered
    when they come into the shop. I tend to guess that it is from wear out of
    the spindle hole on the Disk then the cd shatters due to the bounce at high
    rpm. Just a guess. I think I saw 2 or 3 of these over the course of that 3
    year period. Not very much out of 10000 puters.

    Menymn, Dec 30, 2003