    Currently using IPCop with URL Filter.

    Regards

    Frustrated IT Tech !

    Justin, May 11, 2005

  2. Justin wrote:
    > Does any one know if the urls used by stuff.co.nz are able to be
    > deciphered ?
    >
    > I am resposible for a clients web usage and want to exclude the
    > nonbusiness related sections such as entertainment, crosswords, cartoon
    > gallery that is currently being abused by a group of staff members.
    >
    > Currently using IPCop with URL Filter.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Frustrated IT Tech !

    Looks like they are using a CMS that doesn't use human decipherable URLs

    There are seldom technical solutions to people problems. Do they have
    an Acceptable User Policy? Are they allowed to visit those sites during
    lunchtime or before/after work etc?

    Have the end users bosses tell them the firm knows they have been
    wasting time. Big brother is watching

    Nathan Mercer, May 11, 2005

  3. Justin

    BTMO Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote

    >> Does any one know if the urls used by stuff.co.nz are able to be
    >> deciphered ?
    >>
    >> I am resposible for a clients web usage and want to exclude the
    >> nonbusiness related sections such as entertainment, crosswords, cartoon
    >> gallery that is currently being abused by a group of staff members.
    >>
    >> Currently using IPCop with URL Filter.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Frustrated IT Tech !

    > Looks like they are using a CMS that doesn't use human decipherable URLs
    >
    > There are seldom technical solutions to people problems. Do they have an
    > Acceptable User Policy? Are they allowed to visit those sites during
    > lunchtime or before/after work etc?
    >
    > Have the end users bosses tell them the firm knows they have been wasting
    > time. Big brother is watching

    Big Brother rarely accepts there isn't a tech solution, because Big Brother
    learned everything they know about computers from Star Trek...

    Justin, I am with Nathan. It can't be done - not cheaply, and not easily.
    You could *potentially* work some sort of deal with INL to ensure you only
    get the material you want directly from them via a service agreement - then
    blocking the stuff website, but that won't be cheap (not as cheap as just
    going to the site, at least...)

    And the abusers will simply go elsewhere for their fun.

    It is policy time...

    :-D

    Cheers,

    Brenton

    BTMO, May 11, 2005
  4. Justin said the following on 12/05/2005 12:01 a.m.:
    > Does any one know if the urls used by stuff.co.nz are able to be
    > deciphered ?
    >
    > I am resposible for a clients web usage and want to exclude the
    > nonbusiness related sections such as entertainment, crosswords, cartoon
    > gallery that is currently being abused by a group of staff members.
    >
    > Currently using IPCop with URL Filter.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Frustrated IT Tech !

    If they are that concerned about staff internet usage as to
    want to block the cartoon and crossword section of local
    newspapers rather than manage it with acceptable use policy
    then they are tight arse overbearing control freak employers
    and I would venture they have a high staff turnover.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Pictorial Amusement from the web at
    http://nzcollector.blogspot.com

    Collector»NZ, May 11, 2005
  5. Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> Currently using IPCop with URL Filter.
    >> Frustrated IT Tech !

    > If they are that concerned about staff internet usage as to want to
    > block the cartoon and crossword section of local newspapers rather than
    > manage it with acceptable use policy then they are tight arse
    > overbearing control freak employers and I would venture they have a high
    > staff turnover.

    It sounds like a nazi-like AUP is needed, and make them read and sign
    it... also, if there is a staff memeber that no-one likes that isn't
    performing and also doing this web traffic, they could be used as
    "warning shot" for the rest of them.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 11, 2005
  6. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Thanks guys, Confirmed what I'll have to tell management.

    Will have to cobble together an AUP for management ***YAWN*** !

    Regards

    Justin

    Justin, May 11, 2005
  7. Justin

    Enkidu Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > Does any one know if the urls used by stuff.co.nz are able to be
    > deciphered ?
    >
    > I am resposible for a clients web usage and want to exclude the
    > nonbusiness related sections such as entertainment, crosswords, cartoon
    > gallery that is currently being abused by a group of staff members.
    >
    > Currently using IPCop with URL Filter.

    They use Vignette which is sophisticated content management
    system. It says so in the page source. You are not likely to
    be able to decipher the URLs.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 11, 2005
  8. Justin wrote:
    > Thanks guys, Confirmed what I'll have to tell management.
    >
    > Will have to cobble together an AUP for management ***YAWN*** !

    flick me an email and I'll send you the one from work... it's boring,
    and we just grabbed someone elses, but hey, it works.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 11, 2005
  9. Justin

    Adam Cameron Guest

    > They use Vignette which is sophisticated content management
    > system. It says so in the page source. You are not likely to
    > be able to decipher the URLs.

    Well I'm sure Vignette has some manner of webservice API / RSS capability
    for syndicating stuff.

    Why don't you drop Stuff a line and see if you can syndicate the stuff you
    need. And then block the stuff.co.nz domain completely, for casual
    traffic?

    --

    Adam

    Adam Cameron, May 11, 2005
  10. Justin

    Jay Guest

    "Justin" <4free.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Does any one know if the urls used by stuff.co.nz are able to be
    > deciphered ?
    >
    > I am resposible for a clients web usage and want to exclude the
    > nonbusiness related sections such as entertainment, crosswords, cartoon
    > gallery that is currently being abused by a group of staff members.
    >
    > Currently using IPCop with URL Filter.

    Web Marshall blocks based on content (I think).
    You could manully insert words into it's dat/txt file.

    cock, c*nt, cartoon, crossword :)

    Jay

    Jay, May 12, 2005
  11. Justin

    geoffm Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:42:18 +0100, Adam Cameron
    <> wrote:

    >Why don't you drop Stuff a line and see if you can syndicate the stuff you
    >need. And then block the stuff.co.nz domain completely, for casual
    >traffic?

    WOould this stop them from using proxy servers to indirectly access
    the site? I guess most won't bother - the good ones will just redirect
    to www.seek.co.nz, etc and explore other opportunities...
    Geoff

    geoffm, May 12, 2005
  12. Justin

    Justin Guest

    geoffm wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:42:18 +0100, Adam Cameron
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Why don't you drop Stuff a line and see if you can syndicate the stuff you
    >>need. And then block the stuff.co.nz domain completely, for casual
    >>traffic?

    > WOould this stop them from using proxy servers to indirectly access
    > the site? I guess most won't bother - the good ones will just redirect
    > to www.seek.co.nz, etc and explore other opportunities...
    > Geoff

    IPCop URL filtering addon would preclude the user from using other known
    public proxys as well as most of my user not being savvy enough to know
    about them.

    List includes the following

    anonymizer.com
    megaproxy.com
    personalinfomediary.com
    safeweb.com
    anonymizer.secuser.com
    silentproxy.com
    ultimate-anonymity.com
    anonymize.net
    ultimate-anonymity.net
    ultimate-anonymity.org

    Justin, May 12, 2005
  13. Justin

    Richard Guest

    Justin wrote:

    > IPCop URL filtering addon would preclude the user from using other known
    > public proxys as well as most of my user not being savvy enough to know
    > about them.

    and if they do, you can get rid of them for attempting to get around a security
    measure.

    Richard, May 13, 2005