    prepared.

    Considering the above, how much time should I spend
    studying?
    Patrick, Jul 11, 2004

  2. Patrick

    nerd32768 Guest

    "Patrick" <> wrote in message
    news:2a8d401c466e6$ca6bf340$...
    > I had been looking to gain some tech credentials to add to
    > my recent MA, and found this cert. Have lots of
    > experience on MSFT programs, and have read a lot of MSFT
    > books, but do not know just how intensive the tests are,
    > nor do I know when to decide that I am sufficiently
    > prepared.
    >
    > Considering the above, how much time should I spend
    > studying?

    If i were you, I would just study the material, and take the test when you
    think that you are prepared. After you take your first test, you should have
    the feel for how Microsoft testing works. If you would like to pass the test
    the first time, but cost is not an issue, you might want to get some
    Transcender practice tests (http://www.transcender.com/ ). They are
    generally more difficult than the real test, but give you a good feel for
    your preparedness. The downside is that the practice test cost more than the
    actual test. From my experience, when you think that you have mastered the
    required material, you are ready for the test. There is no way to decide a
    certain amount you need to study for a test. It is similar to a test at
    school, where you always try to pass, but you eventually fail one. Once you
    understand how the system works, you should be fine. These guidelines are
    not just useful for Microsoft tests, but for any test.
    nerd32768, Jul 11, 2004

  3. Patrick

    SJ Guest

    The time it takes really depends on how much experience you have with
    the material already. I don't see it on Microsoft's site now, but
    they were saying a successful candidate would have six months
    experience on desktop systems.

    "Experience on MSFT programs" can mean a lot of thihgs. If you mean
    Microsoft applications such as the Office Suite, that will help some,
    but you'll need to know a lot more about supporting end users setting
    things up. Also, reading the books is one thing, but the experience
    gained from being presented with problems, and troubleshooting them to
    success is much better. Someone who has been working in an IT
    environment for six months or more will be able to prepare for these
    tests much quicker and easier than someone who has just used
    applications as an end user.

    Doing some practice tests is a good way to gauge where you stand, and
    how much time you need to spend on study. Good practice tests will
    point you to reference material where you can supplement your
    knowledge with something more than just questions and answers.

    sj
    MCDST, MCSE...
    www.certquest.net

    SJ, Jul 11, 2004
  4. I spent 3 days for 70-272, but I have 14 years professional experience.

    Just keep reviewing the material until you think your really ready. Failing
    exams can get expensive.

    Shelby Meyer \(MCSA, A+, N+ iN+, CIW\), Jul 12, 2004