    have 3 months before I do the first exam).

    I have a full time job (in IT)and a family, how many hours
    a day do you think I should put in to study?
    NeoNerd, Jul 29, 2003

  2. NeoNerd

    Grok Guest

    IMHO, the sybex/osborne books are the worst I've seen. The exam
    software is buggy, which I could overlook if not for the questions
    themselves being horribly written. Many of the answers are just plain
    wrong. Their customer support doesn't respond to emails requesting
    the errata, and the actual errata does not include patches for the
    testing software.

    Your experiences may vary.

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:58:08 -0500, "Diana K Brown"
    <> wrote:

    >Time is up to you and your needs. Set a goal for each step. Here is what I
    >do for self study.
    >It really depends on the person. Some learn more by reading, others by
    >hearing, and others by doing.
    >

    >The best I have found for most people is to have a multiple approach, which
    >contains most or all variables.
    >

    >1. Read a good study guide book. I like Sybex, Osbourne books (must
    >purchase) and then MS Resource Kit books and Technet, which are free online
    >on MS website. Check out your local library or online or at the local
    >bookstore and look over the different books for your study subject. I
    >almost always buy mine at 75% Off Bookstores for $5!! Usually something
    >which has the test objectives, clearly explains those objectives (how-to)
    >with examples, labs or assignments and real world scenarios are the best
    >overall. You may want something simple and straight-forward. Depends on
    >how you best take in info.

    [snip]
    Grok, Jul 29, 2003

  3. Which underscores the need to use several different resources. I always use
    technet and MS resource kit books online to verify all answers when studying
    and taking practice exams.

    Diana K Brown, Jul 30, 2003
  4. NeoNerd

    Marko Guest

    I notice that the advice given so far may not be what you
    were looking for since it doesn't seem to answer your
    question. Here is something concrete you may be able to
    work with:

    1/ MS Press books (designed to meet the requirements of
    each exam) are divided into chapters and into lessons.
    Each has a suggested time value for the reading, study,
    note taking and exercises before doing the review. Most
    books are around 50 hours, but this could be as little as
    30 something to as much as say nearly 100 hours.

    Read more than one book if you can.

    2/ MS Press or similar readiness review books could be
    done front to back in a day; better still over one
    weekend. This is equivalent to a lot of the study guides
    you can buy. No advertisements here for what they might
    be.

    3/ You could do a course. 3 to 5 days and lots of money.
    Not enough to pass most exams: you will still need to
    review or read a book or both.

    4/ Resource kits and white papers from the MS site. VERY
    VERY GOOD but it is hard to work out what might help in
    each exam. Look at the requirements and try to filter the
    good from the bad. Supplement with books and reviews and
    study guides.

    5/ Above all else - get some quality time with computers
    trying everything out. That means a home lab.

    I spent some time learning how to learn. It doesn't take
    long. Things like how to study; break times, time of day,
    how to organise notes, how to remember (Mega Memory course
    is good) even what food to eat to help me remember and
    think better. Natural drugs? Try Ginko / Biloba from the
    health store. Finding out whether I would learn faster
    through visual, kinetic or auditory means and then
    applying this knowledge. Things like mind maps (check
    Tony Buzan via google) These skills saved me a lot of
    time and mean that I can still recall a lot of my notes
    many months later.

    I said it before but I will say again: It is around 100-
    150 hours per subject to be reasonably assured that you
    will pass each exam. I know some will say you could read
    the book on the weekend and pass on Monday - but that
    assumes you are already very experienced out in the field
    and you are merely revising all that you know and possibly
    filling a few small gaps in your knowledge. Same is true
    for those who do a 3-5 day MOC and then pass the exam;
    usually they have a lot of field experience.

    So realistically, expect around 500+ hours of reading,
    studying, reviewing and doing to go into making you an
    MCSA! It would surpirse me if you got away with a lot
    less than that and felt within yourself that you had
    RETAINED the skills to do a job worthy of the credentials.

    Oh - I almost forgot. You could disregard everything I
    have said and say it was all too hard and download a
    braindumps for the exam you wanted to pass and, assuming
    it wasn't out of date, there would be enough right answers
    for you to memorise over a weekend to pass the exam Monday
    morning. In which case you would have a piece of paper
    that you could wipe the fecal matter of your member with
    since you would be an a55 farkrr

    Sorry 'bout that. But nobody likes a cheat. But it is a
    study method that works for some so it gets a mention.
    (Usually works for those who cry poor or can't read nor
    understand English)

    in any case, GOOD LUCK!
    Marko, Aug 2, 2003