    MCSE 2003? How long will it take to study per test?

    Thanks
    Dara

    Dara, Dec 14, 2003

  2. I reckon on 30-50 hours per topic when using Microsoft Press materials
    (approximately 5-7 days per topic)

    70-270 - say 30 hours study

    70-290, 291 40 hours study.

    70-293,294 60 hours study

    297 30 hours study

    So in short
    week 1-4 070-270 3 weeks - 1 week off
    week 5-8 070-290 / 070-291
    week 9-16 070-293 / 070-294 with two weeks off
    week 17-20 070-297 with one week off.

    Elective: MCSE NT4 - woo-hoo you dont have to take an elective!

    if you manage 10 hours study a week (this is about what I get done
    realistically - some weeks more some less) you could clear the lot in
    16 weeks with no time off.

    You'll need to make sure you keep up a social life. Whats the point
    in getting the certs if there's no-one there to congratulate you
    after!

    Marlin Munrow, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Dara

    Dara Guest

    Thank Marlin for you prompt respond.

    Dara, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Dara

    Dave Guest

    Hate to put a damper on anything but I think Marlin's comments are way too
    optimistic.
    I have been NT4 MCSE for 4 years and have worked full time in server support
    roles. I have been using 2003 since beta and since August have been using it
    in a live environment daily. So, I have a fair bit of experience.
    I studied hard for approx 70 hours and just scraped through 70-290 first
    time. The new exams throw in stuff that's not on the syllabus and are tough.
    I recommend a quick read of all core materials first then study hard for
    each exam. Don't think studying for each exam individually will get you
    through.
    BTW I am not stupid, after studying for roughly same time I passed NT4
    server first time with something like 890.
    Of-course if you cheat it may be quicker.

    Good luck
    Don't cheat

    Dave

    Dave, Dec 15, 2003
  5. In the rush I didnt mention the cross-syllabus bleed over. Good point
    Dave.

    I reluctantly agree with Dave's comments here's why: 70 hours does
    seem extreme unless he had no exposure to 2000 in which case that
    would explain the time.

    I guess if someone *were* to cheat as Dave suggests then you could
    knock off 2/3 of the time maybe ? Depending on how quickly they can
    memorise hundreds of questions per exam. I dont advocate cheating, I
    *do* advocate effective study.

    I'm a little less clever than Dave having only gotten 800~ in my NT4
    Server exam - it *was* adaptive though :eek:(

    The times I mention are the times I have taken approximately

    Marlin Munrow, Dec 15, 2003
  6. Dave's comments are accurate. The Windows 2003 exams are substantially more
    difficult than the NT4.0 or W2K exams. You cannot expect to pass them
    without having product experience. Another problem with the exams is the
    time it takes for each question to load. Make sure you find a testing
    center that has reasonably new machines. If they are running an outdated
    P-II with 128mB of RAM, well good luck. When you've got 90 minutes to
    finish a 45 question exam, and it takes a minute for most questions to come
    up, well the time crunch is going to kill you (and certainly upset you as
    you wait for the next question to appear on the screen.

    Steve Linthicum, Dec 15, 2003