  1. I'm looking to take the 70-300 exam in a few months, and I've got some questions.

    A co-worker gave me her Systems Analysis college text from about 10 years ago, and I've been studying that along with the Osborne Certification Press book. Both seem to be fairly good at explaining the how and some of the why for analysis. I've also got the MS book, which I agree with other threads, feels like it is not a very good teaching book. I'll probably look to get the Exam Cram as well, as that helped me get my NT 4.0 MCSE many years back.

    My concern is that the MS book uses very different terms from either of the other books I'm studying, and it has some different modeling techniques, some that seem rather useless, like their conceptual design model. How important is it to know the "MS" way and terms vs. other system analyst techniques?
    =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=, Jan 16, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=

    Vin Guest

    Cornishs' Exam cram, available at amazon. Its a good buy
    even as a reference post exam.
    Vin, Jan 17, 2004

  3. Ryan,

    I've been told by a guy who already passed several MS exams that it is very
    important to stick to Microsoft terms, principles and guidelines, regardless
    of your *personal* opinion. In other word, the "MS" way is king, according
    to that guy.

    This exam is actually about MSF (Microsoft Solutions Framework) and you
    should study this framework and all related stuff. The college text might be
    also helpful, but only as a supplemental material broadening your view. Use
    the 70-300 MS Press book as a base and explore all MSF books/articles
    available to get good at that.

    --
    Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]
    X-Unity Test Studio

    Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP], Jan 19, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=

    Galen Guest

    Ryan,

    The 70-300 MS Press book goes over the Microsoft Solution
    Framework, which is good to know. HOWEVER, it really
    stinks for helping you prepare for the exam. I used Exam
    Cram (book) along with Transcender (sample tests). I took
    the exam in early December. The Exam Cram book was the
    most helpful and included many sample questions and case
    studies. The exam I took had 3 case studies which you
    had to read and answer questions on. I'm not sure how
    many total questions, maybe 35. I would say over 90% of
    the questions could not be answer from the MS press
    book. The Exam Cram probably covered 90% of the
    questions. Most importantly it gave you an idea of what
    to expect.

    Galen

    message

    Galen, Jan 21, 2004
  5. first of all no offence Galen and others ok:
    having said that I believe becoming MCSD is all about proving you are competent in using Microsoft technology, that includes designing according to their solution frame work. I don't believe getting through the exam by studying materials (not only brain dumps but cramming materials too) that aims only to get you through the exam does not give you this competence. but because they allow you to go through the exam without really giving you any experience of thorough understanding they just degrade the value of the exam (don't tell me about the exams quality - I’m not the one who design them)
    I have to mention here that using Microsoft solution frame work together with their developing tools and languages correctly gives one of the best solutions that could be expected both performance wise and security wise and obviously error free.
    so even if you use exam cram and brain dumps to get through the exam, please - please read Microsoft study guides and do required exercises to gain the required competence even after the exam.
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFoYXNlbg==?=, Jan 22, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=

    Galen Guest

    I never said getting throught the exams makes you
    competent in using Microsoft technology. The Exam Cram
    book points this out and gives numerous references to
    other study material within each chapter. This works
    great for areas where you need or want additional
    information.

    Yes there are some sections on the exams where I take an
    attitude where I just want to get through this as fast as
    possible. And, that is ok.

    I have 12 years experience programming and thank God have
    always had a job. That means I'm constantly learning new
    technologies. This experience far out ways any
    certification.

    The MS press book is good. BUT,even if you memorize it,
    it will only help you answer a few questions on the exam.

    Forget about the exam. If you want to learn about
    Solution Rquirements, I would recommend reading the Exam
    Cram book AND reading the references it gives.

    Galen

    quality - Iâ?Tm not the one who design them)

    Galen, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Galen,

    Would you be so kind to point out the authors of the Exam Cram for 70-300
    that you've used?
    There's a couple of books on this subject.

    Also, I have a feeling that all of you "guru and swami" guys never tried
    software contracting.
    All your reasons and "opinions" for getting a raise/getting a job expose
    you've never been on a job market
    in 2002-2004. Typical situation is as follows. You've had a contract in
    Visual Studio 6 and your customer
    did not want to risk converting to .NET. Once your VS 6 contract is history,
    all you can find is a .NET contract
    where MCAD/MCSD certificate does not matter. If you do not happen to have a
    commercially paid .NET experience,
    recruiters won't talk to you, including recruiters from Microsoft itself.
    This really means that MCSD certification
    is worth 2 cents.

    My understanding was one is a good match for a .NET project requirements if
    one either has experience or certification.
    Life proved I was wrong. But I'm still willing to spend a $200 bucks out of
    my self-employed unemployed pocket
    to finish the certification. Then I can start teaching .NET other fools and
    make people happy ;-)

    Outback Dweller, Jan 22, 2004
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=

    Galen Guest

    Exam Cram 2
    ISBN 0-7897-2929-6

    Galen, Jan 23, 2004
  9. Amazon.com returns 61 result for "ISBN 0-7897-2929-6"
    and 5272 results for "Exam Cram 2".

    I do not have that many fingers to count them all ;-)

    I'm glad MCSD taught you to give multiple-choice answers to single-point
    questions.

    Outback Dweller, Jan 23, 2004
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=

    Galen Guest

    When I do an advanced search and enter the ISBN. The
    book doesn't exist. The 61 results are books that
    reference this book. Anyway... sorry. I should have
    given more info. (ISBN s.b. unique)

    Cover has:
    Exam Cram 2 (Que)
    Exam 70-300
    ..Net Solution Architectures
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
    Authors:
    Randy Cornish
    Thomas Moore
    Don Pavoni
    Eric Rockenbach

    Inside Cover:
    Analyzing Requirements and Defining .NET Solution
    Architectures.

    ISBN 0-7897-2929-6

    in

    Galen, Jan 23, 2004
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=

    ¢harlie Guest

    Hi,

    I use http://www.isbn.nu/ to search for books.
    Its a very good site.

    ¢harlie, Jan 23, 2004
  12. Thanks Galen!

    Did anybody use the book "MCSD Analyzing Requirements and Defining .NET
    Solutions Architectures Study Guide (Exam 70-300)" by Scott Duffy and David
    Waddleton, published by McGraw-Hill Osborne in 2003? Is it as good as "Exam
    Cram 2" ?

    Outback Dweller, Jan 24, 2004