Study materials for 70-290 ?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Pascal Duchemin, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    This is a subject that is not new in this newsgroup and I have been
    reading the posts related to these, however based on my "experience" I
    have a couple questions.

    I studied for the 70-290 using the MCSE Self-paced training kit from
    MsPress. I bought the book last october but only started study a month
    and a half ago.

    I was aware of the "new" test format that MS was going to apply
    beginning of April but still decided to take the test thinking that what
    I knew from the book and the practice tests that were on the CD provided
    with the book should be enough.

    I unfortuntaly failed with a 600 ( which it's pretty bad since I guess
    it represents a 60% ).

    Some of the questions in the real test could definitely not be answered
    by the MsPress book, it's as if the book I have was outdated for the
    test I took on some subjects.

    Then I downloaded ( not for free ) a practice exam from the measureup
    website on 70-290 and realized that the questions there were in that
    exam were more similar to the questions I had in the real test than the
    ones in the book I purchased.

    Davin Eastley in a month old post "70-290. Cannot Pass and need advice"
    suggested a book from QUE, MCSA 70-290 training guide.

    My questions are:
    - Should I just redo all my studies pretty much from scratch and get the
    QUE book ?
    - Fortunately I signed for the 2nd shot deal, after studying the
    practice exam I just downloaded from measure up could I just consider
    myself ready for the test and take it asap ?

    Thanks for your advices
    Pascal Duchemin, Jun 30, 2005

  2. Pascal Duchemin

    Zed Guest

    Hey, don't feel too bad about failing, it happens. What most people do when
    they fail is lose all confidence to the point where they procrastinate and
    keep putting off taking that 2nd shot.

    600 is probably not 60% as they not all questions will be weighted the same
    and some won't even count if there are "test" questions in the exam... and
    600 is not that bad either.

    I wouldn't waste any more money if I were you on test kits, books etc... you
    can't buy your way out of trouble. I do find that MS Press books are
    dreadful exam prep guides, but they do contain the MINIMUM product
    documentation to understand the topic. If you understood everything you
    read, you should be able to deduce quite a lot of answers. On the issue of
    troubleshooting, if you don't know where logs are or what permissions a
    built in group has, this is where experience comes in.

    Use the Technet site to research your topics in depth, read any relevant
    whitepapers on the technology and use Virtual PC and 180 day eval software
    to run test forests /domains. The more hands on the more chance you will
    find the exam to be a piece of cake.

    I get the feeling you don't have a lot of technical experience, is this
    correct?

    Good luck.

    Zed, Jul 1, 2005

  3. Pascal Duchemin

    David Parkes Guest

    Don't Worry about it. I failed that exam two weeks ago, and I only got 503.
    I used the MS Press book and also the Pocket Adminsitrators Companion for my
    studying. I have brought a Thompson Prometic book now which seems to be a
    lot better at explaining things. Plus the test cd you get with it has a lot
    more of the questions you seen on the actual exam. I am taking Zed's advice
    as well which is get loads of hands on experience. The only trouble at the
    moment is I have only one Lab server. (DAMM DOG CHEWED THE OTHER
    MOTHERBOARD)!!!

    Going to try again in about a month. Don't give up!!!
    David Parkes, Jul 1, 2005
  4. Hey Zed,

    Thanks for the support. It has been about 4 days now that I have been
    studying the new measureup exam I downloaded. But this time I realized
    my mistake.
    When studying for my first exam I would pretty much remember the 300
    answers of the practice questions that came with the book and not really
    remember why the other choices were not the right ones.

    When reading in details the explanations of why a specific answer got
    chosen over another one on the new material I just purchased; quite a
    lot of things became clearer.

    I am planning on retaking the test in 10 days which is giving me way
    enough time to study the new material.

    Another big mistake I made too, a friend of mine went to a "boot camp"
    about a year ago and told me that the questions he got on the test were
    really really close to what he studied during the day.
    I thought that by studying the 300 practice questions that came with
    MSPress it would be an easy job.

    The reason why I'm so disapointed in the score of 600 is mainly because
    I actually have about 4 years working experience in IT + a 4 years
    degree in Networking and telecomunication. Granted that a lot of the
    work I do is on linux and most of our customers are unforunately still
    using Windows 2000 servers in a 10 to 20 users environment; I would have
    though that I would have made a better score.

    Well anyways, I should be more ready next week and will also do some
    research on Technet.

    Thanks again for your advices

    Pascal Duchemin, Jul 1, 2005
  5. Pascal Duchemin

    catwalker63 Guest

    Pascal Duchemin <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > Hey Zed,
    >
    > Thanks for the support. It has been about 4 days now that I have been
    > studying the new measureup exam I downloaded. But this time I realized
    > my mistake.
    > When studying for my first exam I would pretty much remember the 300
    > answers of the practice questions that came with the book and not
    > really remember why the other choices were not the right ones.
    >
    > When reading in details the explanations of why a specific answer got
    > chosen over another one on the new material I just purchased; quite a
    > lot of things became clearer.
    >
    > I am planning on retaking the test in 10 days which is giving me way
    > enough time to study the new material.
    >
    > Another big mistake I made too, a friend of mine went to a "boot camp"
    > about a year ago and told me that the questions he got on the test
    > were really really close to what he studied during the day.
    > I thought that by studying the 300 practice questions that came with
    > MSPress it would be an easy job.
    >

    > The reason why I'm so disapointed in the score of 600 is mainly
    > because I actually have about 4 years working experience in IT + a 4
    > years degree in Networking and telecomunication. Granted that a lot of
    > the work I do is on linux and most of our customers are unforunately
    > still using Windows 2000 servers in a 10 to 20 users environment; I
    > would have though that I would have made a better score.
    >
    > Well anyways, I should be more ready next week and will also do some
    > research on Technet.

    Your biggest mistake was in studying questions instead of learning the
    material. Practice exams are only valuable to gauge whether you have
    mastered the material or need more study. They should used when you
    think you are ready for the exam. Memorizing practice test questions,
    however, is never a good way to study. You have no way of knowing what
    questions you will get on the real exam and knowing ahead of time
    constitutes cheating anyway. Hands-on experience is the best teacher.
    There is also wealth of material available on the microsoft site for the
    intrepid student.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet
    catwalker63, Jul 1, 2005
  6. Pascal Duchemin

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, ap support spewed across the ether:

    > send me a copy please

    A copy of what? His document stating he failed?

    Why?

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110
    JaR, Jul 5, 2005
  7. David, try using VMware. I've found it indispensable for practicing applied
    skills. It allows you to build multiple workstations and servers on one PC.
    It costs about $150 but it's cheaper than buying enough PCs to simulate real
    world experience.

    =?Utf-8?B?cHNybWM=?=, Jul 8, 2005
  8. Pascal Duchemin

    fabry Guest

    send me a copy please?

    fabry, Jul 15, 2005
  9. Pascal Duchemin

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, fabry spewed across the ether:

    > send me a copy please?

    Sure. Anything else we can send you? Keys to a new car? A date with
    Angelina Jolie? A brain?

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110
    JaR, Jul 15, 2005
  10. Pascal Duchemin

    Jtyc Guest

    > Sure. Anything else we can send you? Keys to a new car? A date with
    > Angelina Jolie? A brain?

    Do I only get to pick one?
    Jtyc, Jul 15, 2005
  11. Pascal Duchemin

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Jtyc spewed across the ether:

    >> Sure. Anything else we can send you? Keys to a new car? A date with
    >> Angelina Jolie? A brain?

    > Do I only get to pick one?

    Sorry. The offer was not open to MCNGPs, their families, or anybody
    affiliated with that segment of the population with IQs above 32.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110
    JaR, Jul 15, 2005
  12. Pascal Duchemin

    Jtyc Guest

    > Sorry. The offer was not open to MCNGPs, their families, or anybody
    > affiliated with that segment of the population with IQs above 32.

    Damnit... I never get any breaks.
    Jtyc, Jul 15, 2005
  13. Pascal Duchemin

    Briscobar Guest

    JaR <> rambled:

    > Sorry. The offer was not open to MCNGPs, their families, or anybody
    > affiliated with that segment of the population with IQs above 32.

    That's discrimination! That is not what we are about, and I demand to be
    lumped in with the morans and mental defectives!

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    Last one to www.mcngp.com is a rotten egg!
    Briscobar, Jul 15, 2005
  14. Pascal Duchemin

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Briscobar spewed across the ether:

    >> Sorry. The offer was not open to MCNGPs, their families, or anybody
    >> affiliated with that segment of the population with IQs above 32.

    > That's discrimination! That is not what we are about, and I demand to

    be
    > lumped in with the morans and mental defectives!

    Hey! Ghodsdangit. I don't make the rules. You're not a drooling idiot
    and that's all there is too it!

    @%#$%& ACLU.

    --
    JaR