    I know in college you study for multiple classes, but is it wise with these
    2 classes? Should A+ be completed first before touching the Network +? I'm
    just trying to cut down my time to get these done. Thanks.

    lawilson, Nov 28, 2004

  2. lawilson

    Jonathan L Guest

    In my opinion, I would study for each seperately. I know there are
    people who will probably tell you different. In my case I have alot
    going on. It is a struggle just to study for one. Some technical
    schools here in Georgia recomend getting the Network + first. I dont
    know why. At my school though, we take a class called CIS 103 and
    everyone has to take the A+ os test. The next quarter you take a class
    calee Cis 122 and Everyone takes the A+ Core test. The next quarter
    you take Cis 1140 and everyone has to take the Network + test. I know
    that this is a nine month period. But this is to prevent you from
    being a paper A+ Net+ tech. You know, having the certifications but
    not much hands on. This is a long way of saying I think you should do
    it sepperately and get as much hands on experience in the
    meantime...........Jonathan

    Jonathan L, Nov 28, 2004

  3. lawilson

    MEROGVINGIAN Guest

    I found the OS test easier than the CORE test. I would suggest getting the
    A+ nailed down first.

    MEROGVINGIAN, Nov 30, 2004
  4. On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 06:22:30 GMT, "lawilson" <>
    wrote:

    >I know in college you study for multiple classes, but is it wise with these
    >2 classes? Should A+ be completed first before touching the Network +? I'm
    >just trying to cut down my time to get these done. Thanks.

    There's very little overlap, so there's no reason (in theory) that one
    couldn't study for both, but I think most people would prefer to do it
    sequentially anyway.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Nov 30, 2004
  5. lawilson wrote:
    > I know in college you study for multiple classes, but is it wise with these
    > 2 classes? Should A+ be completed first before touching the Network +? I'm
    > just trying to cut down my time to get these done. Thanks.

    I teach both, and would recommend that you get your A+ under your belt
    first. It really doesn't matter which A+ exam you take first. I tell my
    students to figure out which exam *they* feel better about, and take
    that one first. This helps in a couple of ways. First, you're going in
    feeling better prepared - ready for the exam. You also get to conquer
    the fear of the unknown since this is usually the first certification
    exam that many are taking.

    As for Network+, there is a little overlap from A+ and the things you
    learn about networking in A+ will help you and will be reinforced and
    covered in a more comprehensive manner in Network+ along with additional
    material.

    Also, remember that Network+ is being freshened up in 2005. Expect the
    new Network+ exam to go live in the first half of the year or so. In the
    past CompTIA indicated late spring. This would allow educational
    institutions time to finish existing classes and authors andpublishers
    time to get new manuscripts into print.

    A+ was updated in 2003 and won't be changing anytime too soon.

    Good luck with your studies!!!

    John
    --
    John P. Dearing
    A+, Network+

    John P. Dearing, Dec 1, 2004
  6. On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 01:08:36 GMT, "John P. Dearing"
    <> wrote:

    >lawilson wrote:
    >> I know in college you study for multiple classes, but is it wise with these
    >> 2 classes? Should A+ be completed first before touching the Network +? I'm
    >> just trying to cut down my time to get these done. Thanks.

    >I teach both, and would recommend that you get your A+ under your belt
    >first. It really doesn't matter which A+ exam you take first. I tell my
    >students to figure out which exam *they* feel better about, and take
    >that one first. This helps in a couple of ways. First, you're going in
    >feeling better prepared - ready for the exam. You also get to conquer
    >the fear of the unknown since this is usually the first certification
    >exam that many are taking.

    I did the opposite...I took both exams on the same day, one after the
    other, and did the one I felt less comfortable with first, knowing
    that, when I passed that one, the A+ was going to be mine.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 1, 2004
  7. Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 01:08:36 GMT, "John P. Dearing"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I teach both, and would recommend that you get your A+ under your belt
    >>first. It really doesn't matter which A+ exam you take first. I tell my
    >>students to figure out which exam *they* feel better about, and take
    >>that one first. This helps in a couple of ways. First, you're going in
    >>feeling better prepared - ready for the exam. You also get to conquer
    >>the fear of the unknown since this is usually the first certification
    >>exam that many are taking.

    > I did the opposite...I took both exams on the same day, one after the
    > other, and did the one I felt less comfortable with first, knowing
    > that, when I passed that one, the A+ was going to be mine.

    I'm really glad that it worked out well for you. You obviously were well
    prepared and quite ready for the exam. Others might not be so fortunate.

    That's why I suggest that you try to lower the pressure a little by
    taking the "easy" (if there is such a thing) one first. Builds the
    self-confidence a little. I also refrain from suggesing that they
    schedule both exam in one day. That also puts more pressure on and also
    makes for more "cramming".

    Finally, think about what happens if, god forbid, you *don't* pass that
    first exam. Really takes the wind out of your sails and doesn't set you
    up well for the second exam.

    To each his own. I've just found these suggestions to work well for the
    vast majority of my students.

    John

    John P. Dearing, Dec 2, 2004