Stuck with earlier version of everything

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dimetric Houston, Jun 4, 2005.

  1. Hello all. First off, I'm running Win98SE.

    Blast. I don't know what happened here. I turned my computer on and it had
    some registry error (which seemed to deal with Symatec files--all Norton AV
    stuff). Well, my system resulted to a backup copy of the registry, so
    fortunately the computer still runs.

    The problem. Basically everything is now an early version of itself. This
    makes some sense since it is coming from an earlier registry copy. All web
    pages appear in their old format (even though I know a new format is in
    effect). One weird thing is that there even seems to be old files that
    should be gone that have resurrected. Example: My Recycle Bin is once
    again the "Norton Protected Recycle Bin." It was just a normal recycle bin
    after a uninstalled Norton AV 2005, but now its back to the Norton version.

    IE seems to be back to an earlier version. It won't even show me what
    version is running. When I click on Help and choose "About Internet
    Explorer" to check the version, all the lines are blank (version, cipher
    strength, product ID--all blank).

    When I click Windows Update to update it all, a blank page opens. Is the
    update section for Win98SE gone?

    I've gone through and tried to further delete residue Norton stuff, although
    I am getting a symtdi.vxd error upon startup.

    Can anyone tell me how to get the updates for IE and Win98SE, just to be
    sure I have the most current securities and patches?

    Thanks.
    Dimetric Houston, Jun 4, 2005

  2. Dimetric Houston

    Plato Guest

    Dimetric Houston wrote:

    > IE seems to be back to an earlier version. It won't even show me what
    > version is running. When I click on Help and choose "About Internet
    > Explorer" to check the version, all the lines are blank (version, cipher
    > strength, product ID--all blank).
    >
    > When I click Windows Update to update it all, a blank page opens. Is the
    > update section for Win98SE gone?

    Well, as you should have figured out by now, nortons was the root of all
    your problems. It's not a recommended app to use. Secondly, in the last
    year or so, yes, when you click on that link to update IE in the cipher
    strenth thinggy it may not work, so, for my home pcs w/98se, I just
    download the newer IE manually and it does the trick.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 4, 2005