    --
    "Nothing is more sacred than facts. Where we have reason, we don't need
    faith."

    SightSeer, Feb 4, 2005

  2. SightSeer

    Moz Champion Guest

    SightSeer wrote:

    > I seem to have a problem with Thunderbird sending emails with large
    > attachments.(5mb or larger) The progress bar will get to 100% but then
    > freezes. Any ideas about this thanks
    >
    > SS

    Does your mail server have a limit on size of messages?

    Tho some mail servers dont have a limit, the old common one was a limit
    of 5mb per message, right where you say this problem occurs.

    Why send a message that big? Most people still use ISP mail servers with
    a 2, 5 or 10mb total limit. Your one message is going to exceed their
    capacity (and get bounced) or use up most of it. If the person doesnt
    check their email all that often (and 75% of Internet users log on once
    or twice a week - just for email) and there are other messages in the
    persons inbox, your 5mb message would be bounced as too large anway.

    Check to see if your mail server has a size limitation, and/or reduce
    the size of the message you are trying to send.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Feb 4, 2005

  3. On 2/4/2005 11:09 AM, Moz Champion said:

    > Why send a message that big?

    Extra load to networks aside, there are plenty of reasons. Here's one.
    Raise curtain:

    Freelancer: Your pdf files are done. The press-ready version is around
    10MB. I'll put in on the download area of my site for you. Have I given
    you a download account there yet?

    Client: No. Anyway, I'm on-site at *my* client's, and I don't have
    permission to use the browser. IT department won't allow it.

    Freelancer: Oh, Joy. How about FTP?

    Client: They don't have an ftp server here, and I can't access mine for
    the same reason as browsing. But here's the production manager's e-mail
    address. They have a 25MB inbound limit.

    Freelancer: OK. I'll mail it, then.

    **end of scene**

    Recap of a conversation I had yesterday. E-mail may be a last-ditch way
    of sending big files, but it's a valid one nonetheless.

    cheers,

    David H

    David Harrison, Feb 4, 2005
  4. SightSeer

    Ed Mullen Guest

    David Harrison wrote:

    > On 2/4/2005 11:09 AM, Moz Champion said:
    >
    >> Why send a message that big?

    > Extra load to networks aside, there are plenty of reasons. Here's one.
    > Raise curtain:
    >
    > Freelancer: Your pdf files are done. The press-ready version is around
    > 10MB. I'll put in on the download area of my site for you. Have I given
    > you a download account there yet?
    >
    > Client: No. Anyway, I'm on-site at *my* client's, and I don't have
    > permission to use the browser. IT department won't allow it.
    >
    > Freelancer: Oh, Joy. How about FTP?
    >
    > Client: They don't have an ftp server here, and I can't access mine for
    > the same reason as browsing. But here's the production manager's e-mail
    > address. They have a 25MB inbound limit.
    >
    > Freelancer: OK. I'll mail it, then.
    >
    > **end of scene**
    >
    > Recap of a conversation I had yesterday. E-mail may be a last-ditch way
    > of sending big files, but it's a valid one nonetheless.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > David H

    And another one ...

    I have played in a band made up of members who all live in different
    parts of the country. We rehearse by making recordings and emailing mp3
    files to each other.

    And another one ...

    While being co-chairperson for a high school reunion a few years back, I
    maintained the class database and produced the reunion directory. This
    entailed emailing several megabytes of files back and forth from the
    printing company as the project went through various stages.

    Yes, in both of those examples I could have put the files on one of my
    Web servers for everyone to download. But the others didn't have that
    option, let alone the expertise to do it. Besides, attaching files to
    an email is a heck of a lot less trouble.

    In "the old days" this was perhaps an issue. But in the broadband era
    it is much less important. Heck, the companies trying to sell DSL and
    cable Internet access are ENCOURAGING users to take advantage of their
    network capabilities.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 4, 2005
  5. SightSeer

    Moz Champion Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > David Harrison wrote:
    >
    >> On 2/4/2005 11:09 AM, Moz Champion said:
    >>
    >>> Why send a message that big?

    >> Extra load to networks aside, there are plenty of reasons. Here's one.
    >> Raise curtain:
    >>
    >> Freelancer: Your pdf files are done. The press-ready version is around
    >> 10MB. I'll put in on the download area of my site for you. Have I
    >> given you a download account there yet?
    >>
    >> Client: No. Anyway, I'm on-site at *my* client's, and I don't have
    >> permission to use the browser. IT department won't allow it.
    >>
    >> Freelancer: Oh, Joy. How about FTP?
    >>
    >> Client: They don't have an ftp server here, and I can't access mine
    >> for the same reason as browsing. But here's the production manager's
    >> e-mail address. They have a 25MB inbound limit.
    >>
    >> Freelancer: OK. I'll mail it, then.
    >>
    >> **end of scene**
    >>
    >> Recap of a conversation I had yesterday. E-mail may be a last-ditch
    >> way of sending big files, but it's a valid one nonetheless.
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >>
    >> David H

    > And another one ...
    >
    > I have played in a band made up of members who all live in different
    > parts of the country. We rehearse by making recordings and emailing mp3
    > files to each other.
    >
    > And another one ...
    >
    > While being co-chairperson for a high school reunion a few years back, I
    > maintained the class database and produced the reunion directory. This
    > entailed emailing several megabytes of files back and forth from the
    > printing company as the project went through various stages.
    >
    > Yes, in both of those examples I could have put the files on one of my
    > Web servers for everyone to download. But the others didn't have that
    > option, let alone the expertise to do it. Besides, attaching files to
    > an email is a heck of a lot less trouble.
    >
    > In "the old days" this was perhaps an issue. But in the broadband era
    > it is much less important. Heck, the companies trying to sell DSL and
    > cable Internet access are ENCOURAGING users to take advantage of their
    > network capabilities.

    If your ISP or network hasnt improved then these suggestions may come in
    handy

    If there is a home page provided, post it there, and allow users to
    download it from there.

    Use a file compression utility to see if you can reduce the size of the file

    Use a file breakup utility to break up the file into several parts,
    email each part.

    Issue or not, I wasnt defending the practice, just acknowledging that
    many networks DO limit mail size.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org