Stubborn Address Bar drop down list...how do I rid the listed items.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MC, May 31, 2004.

  1. MC

    MC Guest

    Five or Six items appear on the IE6 Address bar drop down list when I start
    typng "www". All these items begin with"w".

    The items include:
    Winguides
    Winamp.lnk
    Windows Media Player.lnk
    (all exactly as listed) as well as a couple of URLs (one even starts with an
    http://....). I know that several of these urls/links have not been
    accessed for several weeks so it is not a new list.

    Now I have tried every avenue to get rid this list. These methods are as
    follows:

    1. Cleaning recent files, internet cache and history using various
    powertools inc. Tweak-XP pro and EditURL. Also, from within IE6 itself and
    giong into documents and settings and cleaning the profiles manually
    (including "favorites").

    2. I have searched all my drives for files containing the keywords above to
    no avail.

    3. I have searced the registry for entries containing the keywords above to
    no avail.

    4. Used Ad-Aware and Spybot

    Am I missing something. Where on my XP system is the Address Bar, drop down
    list, data kept. Nothing I have done has got rid of this list. I have also
    turned off and restarted after each clearout attempt.

    Thanks in anticipation

    MC

    MC, May 31, 2004

  2. I *think* this may be what you are looking for:

    Control Panel>Internet Options>Content>AutoComplete>Clear Forms and Clear
    Passwords.

    If you don't want this service: Control Panel>Interent Options>"Advanced"
    tab>"Browsing">uncheck "Use inline AutoComplete"

    @}-}-------Rosee, May 31, 2004

  3. MC

    MC Guest

    "@}-}-------Rosee" <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote in message
    > I *think* this may be what you are looking for:
    >
    > Control Panel>Internet Options>Content>AutoComplete>Clear Forms and Clear
    > Passwords.
    >
    > If you don't want this service: Control Panel>Interent Options>"Advanced"
    > tab>"Browsing">uncheck "Use inline AutoComplete"

    Thanks for that but neither clear the dropdown list of "hints" when starting
    to type something in the address bar.

    Regards

    MC

    MC, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Sorry....;o(

    What about "Clear History"?

    @}-}-------Rosee, Jun 1, 2004
  5. MC

    fuctifino Guest

    ok, im using windows xp and this is how i would do it.
    goto internet options in control pannel or in the tool menu at top of
    brouser. then goto content, then click on auto complete then untick where it
    says web addresses.
    if your using any other version other than XP i cant help you sorry. but it
    may give you an idea.

    fuctifino, Jun 1, 2004
  6. MC

    reid decker Guest

    Since you have XP, what would happen if you went to System Restore on
    the help menu, and set your Restore Point back a month or so? It looks as
    though your address finishing feature is trying to help you type addresses
    in. I can't think of the name it's called. I am a newbie.

    reid decker, Jun 1, 2004
  7. MC

    Brian Guest

    "MC" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Five or Six items appear on the IE6 Address bar drop down list when I

    start
    > typng "www". All these items begin with"w".
    >
    > The items include:
    > Winguides
    > Winamp.lnk
    > Windows Media Player.lnk
    > (all exactly as listed) as well as a couple of URLs (one even starts with

    an
    > http://....). I know that several of these urls/links have not been
    > accessed for several weeks so it is not a new list.
    >
    > Now I have tried every avenue to get rid this list. These methods are as
    > follows:
    >
    > 1. Cleaning recent files, internet cache and history using various
    > powertools inc. Tweak-XP pro and EditURL. Also, from within IE6 itself and
    > giong into documents and settings and cleaning the profiles manually
    > (including "favorites").
    >
    > 2. I have searched all my drives for files containing the keywords above

    > no avail.
    >
    > 3. I have searced the registry for entries containing the keywords above

    > no avail.
    >
    > 4. Used Ad-Aware and Spybot
    >
    > Am I missing something. Where on my XP system is the Address Bar, drop

    down
    > list, data kept. Nothing I have done has got rid of this list. I have

    also
    > turned off and restarted after each clearout attempt.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation
    >
    > MC

    like rosee said.. clar history does the job.. and set it to clear history
    every "whatever you want" days.

    Brian

    Brian

    Brian, Jun 1, 2004
  8. MC

    Brian Guest

    "Brian" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > "MC" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > Five or Six items appear on the IE6 Address bar drop down list when I

    > start
    > > typng "www". All these items begin with"w".
    > >
    > > The items include:
    > > Winguides
    > > Winamp.lnk
    > > Windows Media Player.lnk
    > > (all exactly as listed) as well as a couple of URLs (one even starts

    with
    > an
    > > http://....). I know that several of these urls/links have not been
    > > accessed for several weeks so it is not a new list.
    > >
    > > Now I have tried every avenue to get rid this list. These methods are

    as
    > > follows:
    > >
    > > 1. Cleaning recent files, internet cache and history using various
    > > powertools inc. Tweak-XP pro and EditURL. Also, from within IE6 itself

    and
    > > giong into documents and settings and cleaning the profiles manually
    > > (including "favorites").
    > >
    > > 2. I have searched all my drives for files containing the keywords above

    > > no avail.
    > >
    > > 3. I have searced the registry for entries containing the keywords above

    > > no avail.
    > >
    > > 4. Used Ad-Aware and Spybot
    > >
    > > Am I missing something. Where on my XP system is the Address Bar, drop

    > down
    > > list, data kept. Nothing I have done has got rid of this list. I have

    > also
    > > turned off and restarted after each clearout attempt.
    > >
    > > Thanks in anticipation
    > >
    > > MC
    > >

    > like rosee said.. clar history does the job.. and set it to clear history
    > every "whatever you want" days.
    >
    > Brian
    >
    > Brian

    oh and one more thing if your goal is to just not get a complete list of
    where you were all the time(because you are typing in "www") just don't do
    it. Windows knows you are looking for websites when you open the browser and
    therefor needs no "www" just type in the name without "www" and windows will
    show you the appropriate adresses, i.e type eu in and www.eurosport.co.uk
    will be shown if you have visited that site..

    Brian

    Brian, Jun 1, 2004