Strobe Lights White Balance and Surrounding lights

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by stvlai, Jul 17, 2009.

  1. stvlai

    stvlai Guest

    Hi

    I just got a 2 sets of Strobe lights and the Boom Stand. Got a couple
    question I hope someone can help answer

    Q1) White Balance
    I set the WB to the Gray Card shots that I took manually but the
    photos comes out bluish. Normally I use Model lights and set the WB
    per the Gray Card and it turns out fine. With strobes lights I am
    having this bluish color problem.

    Q2) Ceiling Lights turn off?
    When I use Strobes lights, do I turn off all the surrounding lights
    (e.g ceiling lights etc) and therefore leaving no lights except when
    the Strobe lights flashes? Is this way to do it?

    Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

    SLKW
    stvlai, Jul 17, 2009

  2. stvlai

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article
    <>,
    stvlai <> wrote:

    > Q2) Ceiling Lights turn off?
    > When I use Strobes lights, do I turn off all the surrounding lights
    > (e.g ceiling lights etc) and therefore leaving no lights except when
    > the Strobe lights flashes? Is this way to do it?

    I used to leave room lights on when doing a family portrait, for
    example, and let the incandescents glow their normal orange/yellow.
    Mr. Strat, Jul 17, 2009

  3. stvlai

    stvlai Guest

    Thank you so much for the valuable info! Really appreciate your tips.

    SLKW
    stvlai, Jul 17, 2009
  4. stvlai

    Fotoguy Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:38:56 -0700, stvlai wrote:

    > I just got a 2 sets of Strobe lights and the Boom Stand. Got a couple
    > question I hope someone can help answer
    >
    > Q1) White Balance
    > I set the WB to the Gray Card shots that I took manually but the photos
    > comes out bluish. Normally I use Model lights and set the WB per the
    > Gray Card and it turns out fine. With strobes lights I am having this
    > bluish color problem.

    It sounds like when you're doing the gray card WB the camera is trying to
    white balance ALL the lights, not just the flash. So, forget the gray
    card. Just use the camera's "Flash" or "Daylight" WB preset. That
    should be good enough. And take your camera off "Auto". Set f-stop and
    shutter speed manually.

    Also, how are you triggering the flashes?

    What camera are you using?

    What flashes?

    > Q2) Ceiling Lights turn off?
    > When I use Strobes lights, do I turn off all the surrounding lights (e.g
    > ceiling lights etc) and therefore leaving no lights except when the
    > Strobe lights flashes? Is this way to do it?

    You can. Or if they are part of the composition, you can leave them on.
    It's entirely up to you and what type of effect you're looking for.

    Flash exposure is controlled with f-stops. With flash, since it's
    "instantaneous," shutter speeds have little affect on its exposure, but a
    lot on continuous light sources. So, if you set your shutter speed
    manually, you can control the amount of ambient light in your shots from
    a lot to none at all. But don't set the shutter speed higher than the
    flash sync speed. You can set it slower, just not faster.

    --
    Fotoguy
    Contributing Expert
    Fotoguy, Jul 18, 2009
  5. stvlai

    >"stvlai" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I just got a 2 sets of Strobe lights and the Boom Stand. Got a couple
    >> question I hope someone can help answer
    >>
    >> Q1) White Balance
    >> I set the WB to the Gray Card shots that I took manually but the
    >> photos comes out bluish.

    >> Normally I use Model lights and set the WB
    >> per the Gray Card and it turns out fine. With strobes lights I am
    >> having this bluish color problem.

    Unless you are using the modeling lights as a light source or
    if they are very close matches to the strobes you are using, I would
    not expect good results.

    The other problem would be ambient light. They are going to
    have different influnces depending on a number of factors so your WB
    may be off.

    In the real world, if you are constantly getting the results
    you want with the technique you are using, then keep it up. If not
    try a few other ideas. Remember photography is both and art and a
    science. Of the two ART is the more important in my book.
    , Jul 18, 2009
  6. rwalker wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:16:04 -0500, Pearls Before Swine <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:33:38 +0100, "Chance" <> wrote:
    >>

    > Well, Swine, you certainly do cast some "pearls."

    I see far more casting (as with a salt water spinning reel) than pearls!
    And, it's Mister Swine to you!

    :)

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Jul 24, 2009
  7. stvlai

    SMS Guest

    Chance wrote:

    > Don't forget you can also use ND filters/gels over the lens as well to
    > bring shutter speed down to X-sync.

    Ironically, if you use a Canon P&S, and load chdk onto it, you can have
    Flash-Sync speeds of 1/10,000 of second, sometimes more. This is the
    only technical advantage of a P&S digital camera.

    Some of the newer D-SLRs also have an electronic shutter and are not
    limited by the mechanical focal plane shutter and can go up to 1/500
    sec, the same as a good P&S without chdk.
    SMS, Jul 24, 2009
  8. stvlai

    Bob Larter Guest

    rwalker wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:16:04 -0500, Pearls Before Swine <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:33:38 +0100, "Chance" <> wrote:
    >>

    > Well, Swine, you certainly do cast some "pearls."

    Brown, stinky ones.

    Bob Larter, Jul 24, 2009
  9. Swine Before Pearls <> wrote:

    > Or just use any of the high quality P&S cameras that rival or beat most
    > DSLRs in image quality.

    .... you just have to define image quality as "everything's in
    focus" and some more jokes of that kind, which are perfect
    for portraits, for example.

    Of course, connecting the studio flashes to the P&S is gonna
    be interesting ... ever seen a P&S with a PC connector, when
    most miss a basic hot shoe?

    > They don't suffer from X-Sync limitations.

    Even assuming that was true it's about never a problem in the
    studio ...

    > The CHDK compatible cameras having full-frame flash sync up to
    > shutter-speeds of 1/40,000 second.

    And an AF taking ages.

    > That's shutter-speed, not flash-duration. Flash-duration
    > runs from 1/10,000 to 1/64,000 (up to 1/224,000 on some of them).

    So what good is 1/40,000s shutter with 1/10,000s flash? Yep,
    logic strikes again. Now, about the flash power at your fabulous
    speeds, is that even one milliwattsecond? Will it visibly light
    up a bright white paper 10 cm from the lens?

    > What good is having camera that has slightly cleaner high-ISOs if your
    > moving subjects are going to get ambient-light blurring from your
    > crippling-slow focal-plane shutter speeds.

    Yes, if you glue the shutter open, you might have problems.
    Fortunately, normal people don't act like you.

    > Some of you people can't seem to think things through far enough.

    What was the reason for using studio flash units, again? To
    look cool or to have them stand in the way when you use that
    P&S of yours?

    [Snipped a lot of crap coming from a swine's mind. Let's
    adjust that for reality:]

    Betty: "Gee, little Billy boy looks so *zombie* with his gleaming
    paperwhite skin and his red red eyes! And his face looks so
    flat, too. And such great strong film grain, even in colour,
    just as if a demon had mixed up the image! The teacher
    always says he's possessed by the devil, but how did you
    manage to get him look so terrible on paper? All the other
    photographers can only show a little pretty angel, and never
    go all the way to show shots looking like real oil paintings
    by mad apes! And how he looks so ghost-translucent in parts!
    What's your secret?"

    Photographer: "Wellll, I bought a crappy P&S camera instead
    of my proper camera bodies and lenses, because some usenet
    troll without a real name said they were oh so much better.
    I spend many thousands on real gear, but that P&S won't even
    interface with my studio flashes. So I use it's inbuild flash
    for ultra short flashes, but have to expose very long to get
    at least some light onto the sensor.

    Now, the flash makes the eyes red and the skin zombie-ugly,
    and the long exposure makes your boy look translucent when
    he moves. Because of the little light I can use --- remember,
    my expensive studio flashes won't work --- I must use high
    ISO and brighten the image a lot --- that causes the demon
    ape colours all over, and the noise control software makes
    it all look detailless like an oil painting.

    Luckily that camera has a tripod hole, or it would look
    completely unsharp as well."

    Betty: "Marry me! I want your baby! Now!"
    [We close the curtains over the little scene where the Betty's eyes
    start glowing red, she turns half translucent and the photographer
    gets possessed as well.]

    > (They're so funny!)

    You're so out of your depth, it's funny.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 25, 2009
  10. The Pretend Photographer P&S-Troll wrote:

    > There are hundreds of technical advantages to high quality
    > P&S cameras,

    .... if you count each wasted dollar on them as one (at least
    for the manufacturer) ...

    > This TROLL is so out of touch with reality it's not only funny, its
    > hysterical. He knows as much about cameras and photography as he does about
    > anything else--only what he invents in his pea-brain.

    I have nothing to add to that piece of self-observation.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 25, 2009
  11. stvlai

    Bob Larter Guest

    Pearls Before Swine wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 02:37:43 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Pearls Before Swine <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Or just use any of the high quality P&S cameras that rival or beat most
    >>> DSLRs in image quality.

    >> ... you just have to define image quality as "everything's in
    >> focus" and some more jokes of that kind, which are perfect
    >> for portraits, for example.
    >>
    >> Of course, connecting the studio flashes to the P&S is gonna
    >> be interesting ... ever seen a P&S with a PC connector, when
    >> most miss a basic hot shoe?

    > Translation: You're an idiot troll who's not even aware of what equipment
    > and accessories are available for P&S cameras. They can all be hooked up to
    > banks of studio flashes.

    Really? - How exactly would you go about doing that with, say, a Canon
    Powershot S30?

    Bob Larter, Jul 26, 2009
  12. Swine Before Pearls <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 02:37:43 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg

    >>Of course, connecting the studio flashes to the P&S is gonna
    >>be interesting ... ever seen a P&S with a PC connector, when
    >>most miss a basic hot shoe?

    > Translation: You're an idiot troll who's not even aware of what equipment
    > and accessories are available for P&S cameras.

    Show me the PC connector on a P&S.
    You might even find one, if you search long enough.

    > They can all be hooked up to banks of studio flashes.

    Exilim Z-40. Show.

    Oh, and I'll want full control over all flash light sources.

    > If you bought even one camera in your lifetime you would know this.

    I did, I know. You didn't, obviously.

    [X-sync in studio, slow P&S AF]
    > Translation: Idiot snapshooters, whether they use a P&S or a Point and
    > Shoot DSLR, depend on auto-focus auto-everything.

    Looks like I scored a hit.

    >>So what good is 1/40,000s shutter with 1/10,000s flash? Yep,
    >>logic strikes again. Now, about the flash power at your fabulous
    >>speeds, is that even one milliwattsecond? Will it visibly light
    >>up a bright white paper 10 cm from the lens?

    > Translation: You don't know what to do with any camera in your hands or how
    > to use any of its features if you did actually get a real camera in your
    > hands one day.

    Thank you for telling me I hit a sore sore spot.

    > Translation: You aren't even aware of what effects are caused by different
    > shutter-speeds.

    Fancy ideas you have:
    - about me
    - about studios
    - about shutter speeds and their effects in the real world
    - about the amount of light needed to register

    But being misinformed and completely unrealistic is in character
    for you.

    >>Betty: "Gee, little Billy boy looks so *zombie* with his gleaming
    >> paperwhite skin and his red red eyes! And his face looks so

    > Translation: You're an idiot troll

    Thank you for admitting I am right.

    > who's not even aware of what equipment
    > and accessories are available for P&S cameras. They can all be hooked up to
    > banks of studio flashes.

    Exilim Z-40. Show.
    Contax SL300R. Show.

    Can't, can you? Thought so.

    > Translation: You've never used any of these cameras so you just like to
    > make things up about them.

    I make everything up, you have experience with P&S and DSLRs
    alike and the world is flat.

    >>[We close the curtains over the little scene where the Betty's eyes
    >>start glowing red, she turns half translucent and the photographer
    >>gets possessed as well.]

    > Translation: You never had a clue, you don't have a clue, and never will
    > have a clue.

    A solid hit! It (trolls have no gender) is *sore*.

    > Try buying and using some real cameras one day instead of the
    > ones you envision in your virtual-reality pretend-photographer life.

    Yep, you should really follow your own advice.

    >>> (They're so funny!)

    >>You're so out of your depth, it's funny.

    > You're right.

    Finally you get it.

    > it isn't even amusing anymore.

    True, you're not even amusing, Swine before Pearls.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 26, 2009